Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2015, 19:41   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Small Beer?

Maybe I will buy a bottle and give my hair a beer rinse
Wynonie Harris and DtheP47 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2015, 19:50   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yes, I could. But having an elderly mother who has returned home from hospital today after a heart attack makes that really difficult, along with the fact that I have a chronically sick daughter who depends on me too.
I am not an inexhaustible resource, and family has to come first...I hope you will understand this.
Yes I do. I wish you and your family well. X
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:01   #48
Beacon of light

Thank you Michael, it has been a very trying(and worrying) ten days.
Old 26-05-2015, 22:00   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I admire your work.

I don't give a stuff what you think of me when you imagine a slight, however if you would care to call in to the Railway at some time I am more than willing to give you £100 towards the expenses you have had with your project.
Why has Retlaw got to come to you Less? Get thi'sel to Warner St or Rough Lee Road and lay your money down.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 06:47   #50
Beacon of light

I think if someone is offering a donation,then it pays to go to them.Especially as others in that fine hostelry might also be prepared to dip into their pockets and come up with a donation.
Even the price of a pint helps.
Many years ago our unit worked on fund raising to buy a baby scanner. We were always pleased to go out and pick up the donations in person and give our personal thanks.
This was in the days before the LET campaigned for the MRI scanner at the Blackburn hospital.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:40   #51
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
So the brewer is making nothing out of the sales?
All the profits are going to this cause?
Thats a stupid question, every time you buy a pin badge or wristband or whatever to support a charity someone is making money out of making them. If such things bother you then put the money in the box and don't take the item. The charities must have found that people like getting these things for their donation so they sell them - technically they don't sell them as that creates technical problems so you make a donation and take one.
Old 27-05-2015, 15:06   #52
Beacon of light

Neil, can't you spot a tongue in cheek comment yet?

I frequently donate and don't take the badge.
I am currently making cards for charity and every penny donated goes to the two cancer charities I support. I take nothing for materials or time...figuring that we all have to pay something for our enjoyment...and I enjoy the craft and the thought that someone is getting something that is a one off.

What I was getting at was, that I felt it wrong, that some commercial organisation was going to make mileage out of The Accrington Pals(whether that be by money or reputation)...and the men who lost their lives in the protection of their country.
My message has not got through...so I give up!
Old 27-05-2015, 20:52   #53
I am Banned

Quote:
I think if someone is offering a donation,then it pays to go to them.Especially as others in that fine hostelry might also be prepared to dip into their pockets and come up with a donation.
Even the price of a pint helps.
He's not offering a donation Margaret, just perpetuating the Nash Equilibrium.

* John Forbes Nash, mathematician, born 13 June 1928; died 23 May 2015
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 20:56   #54
Beacon of light

Oh, well that puts me straight then.
I have never heard of Nash.
I must lead a very sheltered life...I wish!
Old 28-05-2015, 16:26   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Yes I do. I wish you and your family well. X
Tell Ma to get well soon from Christine and Frank
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 17:49   #56
Beacon of light

Will do Frank.....thank you!
Old 29-05-2015, 04:43   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Margaret.
What got me was his post about the Pals Ales. If it had been anyone else in the Observer other than Grahm Jones nothing would have been said, he just can't resist having a dig.
One thing your wrong about, it is Not a Commercial venture, our Cath is trying to raise funds for the Pals commemoration for July 1st 1916.
There are some events going to take place in Accrington on that date which there is no other way to get funding, she's tried various funding organistations but they are not interested in much outside the Southern Counties. I am also tring to get new panels made for Accrington's War Memorial, there are 14 men named twice, 18 spelling mistake 2 men who did not die, and 9 Accrington Pals missing.
I have also created two books in memory of Bill Turner listing all the Pals Casualties July 1/5th 1916, the numbers bandied about on web sites are miles out, even the Battalion War diaries are wrong. These books are at present with a bookbinder and will be presented to the Mayors of Bapaume & Puisuex on July 1st 2016. All this has come out of my pocket, it hasn't cost the people of Acc anything. I sometimes wonder why I ever bothered to start all this work, when some one who should know better starts making snide comments, no matter how much they deny it. I know he's entitled to his opinions I just wish he would keep them to himself.

Rant over for now.
I believe that you are making too much into what's being written instead the actual sentiment. I have not seen anything written that can be construed has being critical to yourself or indeed your family. And has far as asking Mick that if he reads this block then he can take your name off the membership list - if your serious then contact him personally and tell him - what do you want other readers to beg you, not this old codger.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 05:51   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith higson View Post
I believe that you are making too much into what's being written instead the actual sentiment. I have not seen anything written that can be construed has being critical to yourself or indeed your family. And has far as asking Mick that if he reads this block then he can take your name off the membership list - if your serious then contact him personally and tell him - what do you want other readers to beg you, not this old codger.
Suggest you read the full story of the Pals Ale -
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ale-67363.html
Old 29-05-2015, 06:21   #59
Beacon of light

Even if he reads the full story, what Keith says is right.
No one has disrespected/discredited anything that Retlaw or his family has done.

That is not to say that he will not be enlightened by reading the full story of how the project came about.
And that is the story that the Observer should have published.....not the one about Graham Jones Great grandfather and that, (for anyone of a sensitive nature, and there seem to be a lot of those about) is not casting any doubts/aspersions on the bravery of this man.
Less likes this.
Old 29-05-2015, 06:45   #60

Quote:
No one has disrespected/discredited anything that Retlaw or his family has done.
Really? I've just been re-reading this thread, and the tone of posts 24 and 25 (as an example) would suggest otherwise.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..