Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2017, 21:26   #1
Full Member+

Smart Meters

I understand every home is to have a Smart Meter by 2020. Thought we might as well get one in in good time. The engineers came and said one would not work in our house as the electric meter and the gas meter are too far apart.
They did however fit a more up to date meter for each. The electric meter is under the stairs in the hall way and the gas meter is under the sink in the kitchen. Surely we cannot be the only house with this arrangement so what happens between now and 2020 ? Will Smart meters be modified to be more smart and work with more distance between the gas and electric and if the two meters need re siting will the provider pay for the work that will be needed?
Has anyone on the Web had a smart meter yet and if so how far are their meters apart?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2017, 21:40   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Smart Meters

We have refused a couple of times to have em, after speaking to a few that have got em and are not happy at all due to various stuff, fuel cost for one.
Old 23-01-2017, 21:45   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I understand every home is to have a Smart Meter by 2020.
Is this optional or compulsory?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:46   #4
Senior Member+

Optional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michael1954 likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:57   #5
Full Member+

I hope you are right gpick24 .
Old 23-01-2017, 22:07   #6
Full Member+

How come the cost is greater Cashman? I understood the tariff stays the same and you can see what you use and there would be no need for estimated bills.
Old 24-01-2017, 05:54   #7
Senior Member+

Smart Meters

"Smart meters aren’t compulsory and people can choose not to have one."

Copied from here, but read it in other places as well - https://www.smartenergygb.org/en/the...ut-the-rollout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 08:11   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
How come the cost is greater Cashman? I understood the tariff stays the same and you can see what you use and there would be no need for estimated bills.
i have no idea rowlf, but the people i asked i can trust, so that'll do for me.also i NEVER have estimated bills cos i'm with the best and cheapest company in my view and have been for the last 5 years or so, the big 6 are a complete rip off, i fail to understand why ANYONE remains with em.
Old 24-01-2017, 08:48   #9
Senior Member+

My mother lives in a Hyndburn Homes bungalow and she is with British Gas for electricity and gas. They came three months back to fit smart meters, but said that her electricity cupboard is not big enough.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:06   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i have no idea rowlf, but the people i asked i can trust, so that'll do for me.also i NEVER have estimated bills cos i'm with the best and cheapest company in my view and have been for the last 5 years or so, the big 6 are a complete rip off, i fail to understand why ANYONE remains with em.
What company are you with Cashy? I am looking to change mine
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 09:10   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
What company are you with Cashy? I am looking to change mine
Have Pmd yeh mate. aint gonna advertise em.
Old 24-01-2017, 12:50   #12
Beacon of light

Why Cashy?
It would be good to promote companies which are better...both in terms of price and service.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:14   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Why Cashy?
It would be good to promote companies which are better...both in terms of price and service.
Not my way margaret if anyones interested they can P.M. me no problem.
Barrie Yates likes this.
Old 24-01-2017, 15:01   #14
Full Member+

It is the Government who is pushing providers to install these meters by 2020 so although at the moment it is a matter of choice I suspect that will not always be the case. There must be thousands of homes where extensive work would need doing to accommodate the new meters. Another great idea that they have not thought through. No surprise there.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 24-01-2017, 17:29   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
It is the Government who is pushing providers to install these meters by 2020 so although at the moment it is a matter of choice I suspect that will not always be the case. There must be thousands of homes where extensive work would need doing to accommodate the new meters. Another great idea that they have not thought through. No surprise there.
Why would the Government wish to have so called 'independent' companies install such meters?

Ah, could it be, it makes them look greener?

I do actually plan to have them fitted, I've seen them working, they do seem to make folk more responsible and careful about the power used in their houses.

So long as a couple of years down the road, the same Government doesn't force up the prices because we are being too careful with our power consumption.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..