Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2019, 09:06   #1
Senior Member+

Smart Meters

I’ve been inundated with messages from my energy supplier about having a smart meter, I have now received an email telling me that if I refuse to have one fitted I will be put on a higher tariff costing me over £100 more a year plus a £60 fined for switching tariffs, looks like the energy companies are under pressure from the government to get these meters installed, the next step will be to charge users more for energy that is used at peak times on the lines of the economy 7 package, looks like we are being forced to have one installed, my initial objection to having one was the problems in switching supplier thus keeping my energy bills down, looks like the second generation meter (smets2) is compatible for switching suppliers, I would be interested to see others points of view on smart meters
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-02-2019, 10:08   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Smart Meters

I have always refused point blank to have one installed, never had a letter like that though, perhaps its cos we are not with one of the so called "Big6"? i dumped them many years ago and are reasonably happy with the one we are now with.
Gremlin likes this.
Old 14-02-2019, 10:43   #3
Beacon of light

It is not compulsory to have a smart meter....I will not have one either.
If your meter needs changing (and this has to be done every so often) you can ask for a dumb meter....it is like a smart meter in looks, but does not transmit any information to the power company.
I would be telling your energy supplier that you will change suppliers if they insist on changing you to a more expensive tariff.

I no longer get the letters or the e-mails as I notified them right at the start that I would not have a smart meter at any price.

They are not being installed for the customers benefit, but for the supplier....and come the day that there is a shortage of energy....if you have a smart meter they can disconnect you.
Gremlin likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 12:15   #4
Full Member+

I recently changed supplier and when I was searching for the lowest cost supplier British Gas came out as "best buy" but after reading the offer I found hidden, amongst the terms and conditions, "soon after transfer date a smart meter will replace your current meter"
So I went with the second lowest cost.
pifco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 12:24   #5
Senior Member+

No chance of me having one either, my mate had one fitted and six month down the line he was still going to look at it every few minutes or after he put a light on to check how much he was spending. They don't save a penny. All you need to do is turn off lights etc when they are not in use, same result.
Old 14-02-2019, 13:47   #6
Beacon of light

It is a big con....if you already turn off the stuff you aren't using then you are already doing what a smart meter encourages you to do.
The only real advantage is NOT to the customer, but to the supplier.
It allows them to get rid of meter readers, it allows them to see what your energy use patterns are(this is important should the company want to charge extra at certain time of the day/week/year) a bit like holiday firms who charge more when the children have school holidays.

It gives the energy company the power to turn off your supply remotely......no....I will not have one....I am not sucked in by their misleading adverts.
It is NOT the meter that saves you money, it is your habits....and I am known as frugal Freda/put a cardigan on.

Oh....and another thing...they are NOT free....we are all paying extra on our power bills for this hare brained, I'll conceived plan.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 14-02-2019 at 13:52.
Old 14-02-2019, 13:50   #7
Senior Member+

We had them installed last year, helped me get my gas usage down (among other things), changed supplier in the summer and now they just works as normal meters.
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 13:58   #8
Beacon of light

So, did the change of supplier mean that your smart meter went dumb?

I do not need a meter to get my energy usage down.
When things are not in use, they are turned off....I do not leave anything on standby.....the only thing that are permanently connected are the fridge and freezer....and the phone.
Everything else is switched off.

It has to be very cold for the heating to go on.....I tell my other half to put another layer on.
Old 14-02-2019, 14:10   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So, did the change of supplier mean that your smart meter went dumb?
I guess so, we`ve just been asked for a meter reading and the monitor no longer works.
The smart meter helped me set up the boiler to be a bit more efficient after re-routing some pipes and adding pipe insulation, I could have done the boiler without the smart meters but seeing the usage in real time made it much easier & quicker.
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 15:26   #10
Senior Member+

this is a link to what is happening
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...art-meter.html
Old 14-02-2019, 16:50   #11
Beacon of light

Yes, think I have seen that somewhere....but I still will not be having one....my yearly bill is under £1000.... but only because I am frugal.
Even if it hit the figure quoted for those who refuse a smart meter....I still would not have one!
Old 14-02-2019, 16:52   #12
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I guess so, we`ve just been asked for a meter reading and the monitor no longer works.
The smart meter helped me set up the boiler to be a bit more efficient after re-routing some pipes and adding pipe insulation, I could have done the boiler without the smart meters but seeing the usage in real time made it much easier & quicker.
We had a new A rated boiler and our bills have fallen.

If we needed a new meter it would be one without the SIM card that send info to the supplier.

It seems crazy that changing provider makes these meters obsolete(if you were in favour of them that is).
As I say, it is an ill thought out system.
Old 14-02-2019, 17:48   #13
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It seems crazy that changing provider makes these meters obsolete.

This only applies to the first generation of Smart Meters (SMETS1), the second gen (SMETS2) will work with any supplier.
Old 14-02-2019, 18:28   #14
Senior Member+

how do your bills compare:
my electric unit charge rate 13.28p per kwh with a standing charge of 18.90p a day
my gas unit charge rate 2.703per kwh with a standing charge of 18.90 a day
Old 14-02-2019, 18:39   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
This only applies to the first generation of Smart Meters (SMETS1), the second gen (SMETS2) will work with any supplier.
I still won't be having one.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..