Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 23:35   #151
God Member

Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Just reread your first post, thats one person, and as I said I don't believe the majority believe that.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-06-2006, 10:39   #152
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Quote:
Funny, I dont recall saying anything remotely like what you accuse me of here.
Really?
Quote:
mass transportation is a necessity in modern day life.
My accusation was and still is “So according to you Guinness, because motor vehicles are considered a necessity, it is OK to pollute the atmosphere with them.”

It seems that you have a selective memory.

My point is and always has been that the anti-smokers complain of second hand smoking (tobacco pollution) yet have nothing to say about the vastly greater pollution caused by vehicles, industry planes etc. They try to justify their outlook by claiming they are all a necessity. That is a selfish, crass and sanctimonious attitude. Calling you a stupid dork etc is name calling, commenting on an attitude is not.

Argument? What argument? I was attempting to discus the fairness of banning tobacco pollution whilst not addressing other forms of pollution that are more virulent. But then that is what some people do. Turn a discussion into an argument because they don’t have a coherent and relevant point to make.
Quote:
loses the argument and my attention..
You must have a high opinion of yourself and your view if you think I sit here waiting for your response or even care if you respond or not.

I can’t remember who that guy was Madhatter other than he was some government official and claimed to be speaking on the behalf of the government. He was also quite serious in his view. Sadly it’s not what the majority believes but what the government dictates. Public opinion holds little sway with the current government.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:04   #153
God Member

well, we should, people power is dying out, this is our country, they just run it for us, they supposed to govern yet obey.
Old 26-06-2006, 04:58   #154

Well I've just spent the last hour or so reading all the comments in this thread. All I can say is this. I have been a smoker for the last 54 years and enjoyed every second of it. At the present time I respect the wishes of non-smokers , even those who visit my place. Nontheless I wish the damn tobacco industry had never been founded. Am I healthy? I have emphysema,athsma, heart disease, periphial vascular disease.a chronic ischmeal condition in my legs( I can't walk so far without pain.) I have had 3 heart attacks, Triple by-pass, and several bypasses to my legs etc. So no. I am not healthy. Was it all due to smoking? Well it certainly played a large part plus all the vehicle fumes. I've been breathing for all my life( allthough I don't believe that vehicle emmissions have anything to do with this thread. It's a seperate subject). Are fags unhealthy? Of course. Anybody can tell you that. But it's my life(whats left of it) my freedom. I still smoke and enjoy it just as much. Why? because I am truly and utterly addicted to nicotine. I have tried everything to help me stop but to no avail(and please. All you out there that has never been addicted to anything I don't want to hear your dumb uninformed comments about addictions) Am I sorry. No. I have enjoyed my life very much and still do so. However, I believe that governments are going overboard on this one. I don't like smoke in restaurants or enclosed spaces. But open air. Mind your own damn business.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 16:38   #155
Resting in peace

It comes down to freedom of choice, something this government does not believe in. Non-smokers should not be forced to breathe second hand smoke. Therefore there should be bars/pubs for non-smokers. BUT by the same token, there should also be bars/pubs for smokers. Smokers pay for their healthcare, in spades.

Yes, smoking is bad for you in many ways - however, so many non-smokers seem to be hyper about this subject, and very vicious - perhaps they need a little pharmaceutical help? I'd rather smoke than be on Prozac any day.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 23:07   #156
God Member

Was sat having a meal on Sunday at the old red lion here. chose non smoking on purpose, then halfway through the meal, a woman in the bar sparks up, and all the smoke of the cigarette drifts over to us. Dunno what she was smoking but they were strong.
Annoyed because unless we went it the expensive restaurant there was nowhere seperate that was non smoking. Food isn't allowed in the library. This is were all the trouble started, one room serving food, and a smoking and non smoking section, which doesn't work. Food should be in a seperate room and if thats not possible, then why allow smoking at all.
Plus it hacks me off that the owners worth a daft sum, like a hundred million and is too tight to put decent air conditioning in.
Old 27-06-2006, 17:46   #157
I am Banned

ime about to try giving up smoking again and if successfull all you smokers can go to hell

if i fail naturaly i will stand by all you fellow smokers in solidarity and the above remark stricken from the record
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 23:03   #158
Senior Member+

Back in the late nineties, myself, 'im indoors and my best mate all chose to quit the cigarettes and managed to go without for two years.

This might sound really silly to all the non-smokers out there but we were all really miserable. It never seemed to get any better. Our social life went out of the window because the pub was a no go area, a beer seems much nicer with a ciggie!!

I was the first to fall by the wayside, or at least the first to admit to it. I learned how to be deceptive and would park up on my way to work to have a quick rollie (easier to hide). Then I would wait until 'im indoors was asleep and sit out in the garden for a while. Panic stations if he stopped snoring! All three of us are back to it now and having made our decision that's the way I expect it will stay.

I understand everything you have said Terry and I'm sorry you are sick. The government would be better employed ensuring that the young of today never start and leave us with our curse of the sixties.

We all know how we will end up but the choice is made.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 23:34   #159
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
ime about to try giving up smoking again and if successfull all you smokers can go to hell

if i fail naturaly i will stand by all you fellow smokers in solidarity and the above remark stricken from the record

Good luck....again!

If you manage to stop I can go back to Marlboro Lights and ditch the menthol ones, which are like drawing smoke through Heidi's cotton bloomers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 10:07   #160
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Good luck....again!

If you manage to stop I can go back to Marlboro Lights and ditch the menthol ones, which are like drawing smoke through Heidi's cotton bloomers.
i remember you snogging heidi in the bridge but you must have done that when i went to the bar
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2006, 11:13   #161
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

I stopped several years ago then some kind policewoman got me started again.

I woke up in the middle of the night to find what to me at the time looked like a huge bloke standing in the doorway to my bedroom looking at me. He saw that I was awake and scarpered taking his mates (one of which was a girl – I heard her laughing) doing their stuff downstairs with him. By the time I got my wits together and got up they were all gone and so was the remote control for my telly but fortunately that was all.

I’ve been burgled before, several times, even whilst I slept but to wake up to a stranger looking at me was different. I’m no wimp but the incident unnerved me quite a lot and when the police arrived the policewoman could obviously see that I was rather agitated so she made me a cup of tea and gave me a fag and left me her packet. It was all well meant I’m sure but for that incident I would still be a none-smoker. But I would still have the same view about atmospheric pollution.
Old 29-06-2006, 02:19   #162
God Member

Bet that was scarey. I think most people would be. To wake up hearing noises is one thing but that.
Not much chance of them coming here though, I can never sleep these days, not at night anyway.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..