Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2006, 01:29   #106
God Member

Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

You sound quite normal to me.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2006, 07:52   #107
Give, give, give member

If smokers really thought their civil liberties were being curtailed, we'd be organising marches on Downing Street, similar to those arranged by the Countryside Alliance. Because of our addiction we are way too relaxed to be bothered.

Oh well, never mind, time to light up another.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 13:15   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
If smokers really thought their civil liberties were being curtailed, we'd be organising marches on Downing Street, similar to those arranged by the Countryside Alliance. Because of our addiction we are way too relaxed to be bothered.

Oh well, never mind, time to light up another.
Or is it that the thought of marching anywhere sets you off on another coughing fit
Old 23-06-2006, 13:44   #109
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Smokers unite before it is too late.

Quote:
*as long as it does not directly affect my health/smell of my clothes/burn holes in my jacket*.
That statement applies equally to vehicle exhaust fumes DeShark with a slight modification. They affect a person’s health, make my flat and clothes smell of exhaust fumes and contaminate the clothes on the washing line with dirt specks.

My argument is simply if the government is so concerned with our health they should attack all the ways that pollute the atmosphere not just smoking. They have gone for smoking because it is an easy option and they also know that people would be so involved in the issue and argue amongst themselves they could get on with screwing us down in other ways that pass by unnoticed.
Quote:
I believe that a pint or two/a glass of wine/a whisky helps to calm my nerves.
Pushing 70 and living on my own like I do DeShark and hearing daily that some pensioner has been attacked in their own home a fag helps calm my nerves. What is the difference? Am I not allowed to calm my nerves in the best way that I can?
Quote:
Why should the majority have to put up with the minority?
We already do and have done for centuries DeShark with the appointment of our government and behind the scenes with the aristocracy and influential. It is what people call democracy.
Quote:
My main point however, is that I should be able to enjoy my pint in the pub, without leaving smelling of cigarrettes and ash.
And I should be able to live in my flat DeShark without it being filled with vehicle exhaust fumes. I should be able go down town and do my shopping without coughing and spluttering on the way round because my lungs are being filled with exhaust fumes. I should, if inclined which I’m not, be able to go down town during the evening without having to run the drunken yobbo gauntlet.
Quote:
I would rather have someone slying a quick spliff next to me in a bus stop than a tobacco smoker anyday!!
I know nothing of smoking illegal substances shakermaker but don’t people who smoke cannabis put the stuff in a tobacco roll up?

In a nutshell the anti-smoking brigade are just skirting around the issue because they are not prepared to accept that all forms of pollution are bad for us in one way or another and that it is unfair to target just one source and condone the rest. In your own way you are all just as guilty as the rest of us in causing that pollution. To pretend otherwise is hypocrisy in the extreme.

Are there any of the anti-smoking lobby prepared to declare here and now that it is grossly unfair to target the smoker without also targeting the other major polluter – the internal combustion engine?

I doubt if anyone has the courage to do so because it will destroy all their arguments at a stroke and show them to be irrelevant to the debate.
Old 23-06-2006, 14:06   #110
God Member

yep I agree, we should completely ban the internal combustion engine. everything should be electric powered from now on.
All the trucks with supermarket deliviries, can go on an electric train. then an electric van can take them to the store, all the taxis, they can be electric too, and the buses, make them trolley buses, and we can trams through accy again. yay.

Don't think that would work though, it's not very realistic is it.
Old 23-06-2006, 17:54   #111
God Member

On hatters dream about all electric it might in the not to distent future be the norm and ciggies will be too expensive for most so 2 birds down in a oner.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 17:56   #112
God Member

Hatter how would you get to say New York on an electric Boeing

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 22:47   #113
God Member

Dunno spuggie, we'd have to go by electric and wind powered ship.
I'm more interested in these two birds that will be down though.
Old 23-06-2006, 22:51   #114
Resident Waffler

Just thread wandering back to the original topic:

I don't smoke and I don't like being 'smoked at' and having to breath in fumes right in my face but I do think it's getting out of hand with limits on where smokers can smoke. If it's an open area then I see no problem. If it's a confined space it depends on if I have a choice to go there and then I think it's down to me whether I choose to go there or not.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:02   #115
God Member

I think thats well put, and how most of us feel.
Old 23-06-2006, 23:13   #116
Resting in Peace

OK .. getting really ****ed off with this subject now.

You non-smokers win. I am now just a smelly,(not that it has ever put any suitors off mind you, they only have one thing on their mind ! ) drain on the NHS, probably look 73 instead of my 63 years, threat to your children and general enemy to the future of the ozone layer.

Admit i! NO ARGUMENT, easy target so let's shoot us down first, you are winning .. YOU ARE CORRECT, FULL STOP.

But BEWARE, once this disgusting pastime is finally extinguished, who will be next ?

Trouble already begininng on the 4 x 4's, obesity .. moves to stop adverts on calorie loaded foods now... probably will not be able to eat a Cadbury Turkish Delight within 10 metres of an impressionable 2 year old. School runners, AAAAAGH ... surveys already being done to restrict this ritual.

POINT IS .. not always about the issue, just a grouping instinct.

As to the addiction .. well, once asked to take part in a survey at the Doctor's for women who were taking the birth pill and linked with the habit of smoking. Theory was that I would have a more outgoing, daring, adventurous character than other human beings .. that's the way I like to look at the reason why I began the nasty, filthy habit in the first place.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:22   #117
I am Banned

Go Girl!!! well said Kate
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:25   #118
God Member

That's it kate, you vent your anger, best get it out and written down, then you can have sweetie dreams.

You've got a good point though, just lately, it feels like no matter what I do I'm doing something wrong and upsetting others while evrybody seems to upset me and not give a damn, in life, not on here. Sometimes you just have to find something to laugh at and forget everyone else. get a nice drink, sit down, put the tv on, spark up and take a nice long drag. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thats better.

Last edited by Madhatter; 23-06-2006 at 23:47.
Old 23-06-2006, 23:29   #119
I am Banned

Sarcasm doesn't suit ya hatter maybe that the thing certainly with Post no 118
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 23:30   #120
Give, give, give member

Just to throw a silly spanner in the debate most of the fun people that I know and love smoke.

Perhaps their habit shows a devil may care attitude that appeals.

Kate you're an exeption to the rule that smoking ages you. You look drop dead gorgeous.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..