Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-09-2007, 12:16   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Smoking At School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
All LCC employees cannot smoke whilst on paid time. Therefore if you are getting paid for dinners and breaks it means no smoking. Also if driving between meetings etc in our own cars we still can't smoke as we are still in paid time. So i presume teachers can't smoke.
Had this discussion at work yesterday coincidentally ... I feel this is not quite legal. Ok, understand that a company have every right to stop you smoking on their premises e.g. in your car on their car park, however, sure they cannot enforce it if on the road out seeing customers. ?

Also, if your dinner break entitles you to go home .. are they saying can't have a cigarette there either ? This would only apply to salaried staff I suppose, not by the hour ... as dinner breaks aren't included in most wages.

Think it would be just a peevish attitude to refrain you from smoking whilst driving between meetings in your own car ... except if other employees with you of course, who don't smoke, after all only brought in to protect people non-smokers.

Lots of employees are not entitled to eat at their desk/workplace .. could you therefore not grab yourself a mint from your car whilst commuting between offices ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-09-2007, 13:38   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

is it illegal to smoke under the age of 16, or just to sell em??
Old 29-09-2007, 13:42   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Just illegal for shopkeepers to sell them, not that they take any notice
Old 29-09-2007, 13:50   #19
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well thats probably why the teachers dont do nowt
if i ever catch my kids having a fag ill.............
Old 29-09-2007, 13:57   #20
God Member

Only thing teachers can do is tell the parents, I would never have dared show such blatant disrespect how times have changed!!!!
Old 29-09-2007, 14:40   #21
God Member

I got a good clip round the ear for it and had plenty of run ins with teachers over it. The do as I say not as I do attitude was a pain in the neck but the freedoms I craved are now causing chaos. Oh the joys of hindsight.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 18:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Had this discussion at work yesterday coincidentally ... I feel this is not quite legal. Ok, understand that a company have every right to stop you smoking on their premises e.g. in your car on their car park, however, sure they cannot enforce it if on the road out seeing customers. ?

Also, if your dinner break entitles you to go home .. are they saying can't have a cigarette there either ? This would only apply to salaried staff I suppose, not by the hour ... as dinner breaks aren't included in most wages.

Think it would be just a peevish attitude to refrain you from smoking whilst driving between meetings in your own car ... except if other employees with you of course, who don't smoke, after all only brought in to protect people non-smokers.

Lots of employees are not entitled to eat at their desk/workplace .. could you therefore not grab yourself a mint from your car whilst commuting between offices ?
It's by union agreement so it must be legal. Plus we get paid for dinners and breaks. So between 8.30am and 4pm i can't smoke, but that first one is wonderful.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 20:00   #23
God Member

Quote:
It is not illegal to smoke under the age of 16 so this means that if you let your 6 year old have a fag after their tea you would not be breaking the law.

As long as you had bought them and not him/her. It's illegal for under 16s to buy their own.
Old 29-09-2007, 20:24   #24
God Member

I'm sure at the hospital where I work staff aren't allowed to smoke on the grounds or in their uniform, I could be wrong but most of our smokers make sure they have their coats on.
Old 29-09-2007, 20:48   #25
God Member

Quote:

Goes up to 18 on Monday
Old 29-09-2007, 20:50   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Goes up to 18 on Monday
And that will be as affective as the alcohol purchase age. They will always have a way of getting them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 29-09-2007, 20:50   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Goes up to 18 on Monday
Will that allow the teachers to get involved?
Old 29-09-2007, 20:54   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Will that allow the teachers to get involved?
I would have more chance of being at the start of tonights meet than teachers getting involved.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 29-09-2007, 20:59   #29

i only left school two years ago and the teachers allowed the year elevens to smoke on the tennis courts but kids under year eleven use to borrow a year elevens tie who didnt smoke to gain access to the court

even worse i use to get on a school bus and they use to sell joints on the top deck for £2 in the mornin and at night

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 21:04   #30
God Member

Thats frightening about the joints Mel, just goes to show how normal some people think it is, or how normal its become.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..