Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2007, 08:00   #1
God Member

Smoking At School

I've noticed when I drop my daugter off at school how brazen today's kids are when it comes to smoking directly outside the school gates in full view of everyone and anyone.

When I was at school the smokers always had to find a back street or alleyway near the school, out of sight of the teachers.

Does my daughters school have a different policy to other secondary schools or is this now the norm that a few inches outside the school gate is no longer deemed as being at school ?
Old 28-09-2007, 08:04   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Smoking At School

When I was at school the staff room used to be filled with pipe and cigarette smoke.

What has happened since the smoking ban was introduced?

Do the teachers and pupils both now hang about the school gates, having one last drag before facing the day?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 08:06   #3
Resident Waffler

I don't think the teachers are allowed to say anything to the pupils who smoke these days. It probably has nothing to do with them and they'd be told in no uncertain terms by some pupils to mind their own business.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 14:58   #4
God Member

I remember having to hide because woe betide you if you were caught. Getting caught was bad enough but having your ciggies confiscated was worse. Wonder if they would be considered as mugging the pupils if they were confiscated now???

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007, 15:05   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I remember having to hide because woe betide you if you were caught. Getting caught was bad enough but having your ciggies confiscated was worse. Wonder if they would be considered as mugging the pupils if they were confiscated now???
My daughter was always getting hers taken off her by the teachers. They once phoned Ian up and asked what they should do with them. His reply was distribute them amongest the staff who smoke
Old 28-09-2007, 15:08   #6
God Member

We had smokers corner at our school, the teachers all knew where to look but rarely came round, needless to say I were caught several times and on one occasion I didn't even smoke but my mates fags were in my bag. The fags were usually confiscated and a detention given, we were never that hard faced that we'd smoke in front of the parents/teachers though.
Old 28-09-2007, 15:28   #7
God Member

Thats why my daughter kept getting caught, she had everyones fags in her bag.
Old 28-09-2007, 15:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When I was at school the staff room used to be filled with pipe and cigarette smoke.

Do the teachers and pupils both now hang about the school gates, having one last drag before facing the day?

when i was on the governors/vice chair of the pta at Reece's school the teachers had to stand as far away from the school gates as possible to have a fag, so as not to be associated with the school, all the time ive been going there they have NEVER been allowed to smoke in the staff room
Old 28-09-2007, 15:45   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
We had smokers corner at our school, the teachers all knew where to look but rarely came round, needless to say I were caught several times and on one occasion I didn't even smoke but my mates fags were in my bag. The fags were usually confiscated and a detention given, we were never that hard faced that we'd smoke in front of the parents/teachers though.

lol we used to smoke in the long jump up at cromwell and Mr Williamson used to laugh at us when we used to try and hide the smoking fags behind our back
Old 28-09-2007, 15:57   #10
God Member

We had a smokers corner too. There was a classroom window above it and teachers used to hang out of it and tell the smokers to come in and stand in the entrance hall. The smokers corner was also regularly 'policed' by teachers and dinner ladies who would confiscate the fags and send the offenders to the head teacher to be punished. The smokers usually had someone standing just round the other side of the smokers corner, acting as a look-out. When a teacher or dinner lady looked to be coming over, the look-out would hiss a warning round the corner to the smokers so they could stamp their fags out quickly.
Of course, this was all on the premises, inside the school yard, so the school had authority over what went on in there. I don't think there was anything they could do about the brazen ones who stand smoking on the street before and after school as it is out of school hours and off the school premises. All the teachers could do was go and tell them what a filthy habit it was etc etc. They couldn't actually mete out a punishment to them.
Old 28-09-2007, 16:14   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

many kids smoked in my day,it was fashionable e.g. cool TV ads etc, but at school,always discreetly, thats the differance to me.
Old 28-09-2007, 16:29   #12
God Member

Just asked my grand-daughter and seems Willow is right, very little teachers can do other than tell the parents. How things have changed and not for the better!!!!
Old 29-09-2007, 06:08   #13
Resting in peace

Only education can stop this health damaging habit,it's about time the Schools started practicing what they were created for. In my humble opinion.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 08:12   #14
God Member

I think parents too should do more to stop it, its really obvious when someones been smoking and I think a lot do it with their parents consent.
Old 29-09-2007, 11:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

All LCC employees cannot smoke whilst on paid time. Therefore if you are getting paid for dinners and breaks it means no smoking. Also if driving between meetings etc in our own cars we still can't smoke as we are still in paid time. So i presume teachers can't smoke.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..