Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 06:05   #136
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Smoking ban........

the best thing for you smokers to do is leave ya fags at home, then ya wont be tempted to break the law

and pigs will fly
Old 04-07-2007, 06:07   #137
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post

I will not pay to have a brew in a cafe if I can't have a smoke.... so I went home early and saved money: feel sorry for the cafe owener though: I used to spend around £15.00 a week but no more:
blimey and ya smoke too ...you must be well off
Old 04-07-2007, 18:17   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Which fresh air is that?

It wouldn’t be the obnoxious, carcinogen laden vehicle exhaust fumes would it?
Nice point ... Sit on a pub patio in Kingston and you can't smoke ... but you can breathe the wonderful fresh air from the tour buses idling all along the street, so that they can run their big m.fkg air conditioners constantly ... within a few years the only place one will be able to find fresh air will be in an ice cave on some obscure mountain in Nunavut. The world is going to hell in a handbasket of pollution, and it sure as hell aint second hand fag smoke that is causing the problem. It is much easier for govts. to target smokers than to persuade huge multinational companies, with thousands of expensive lawyers, to quit destroying the planet.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 18:20   #139
God Member

I quit smoking by the way ... but I will not quit speaking out against bulls**t, particularly govt. bull.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 21:18   #140
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
blimey and ya smoke too ...you must be well off
ha ha I wish, no I used the cafe like an office,now my car is my office when out and about: along with a flask of coffee:
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 21:26   #141
God Member

My dad,who doesn't smoke,went to his local pub last night.He said it was awful and came home early.He was the only one in there.The other blokes he normally chats to were outside where they could smoke,only coming back in to get another drink.Even the landlady was outside with them.He doesn't like cigarette smoke but he said he'd much rather have someone to talk to in the pub,even if they are smoking,than sit there on his own.That's not what you go out for is it?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 15:01   #142
Super Moderator

It now turns out that the thousands of patio heaters installed outside pubs to keep diehard smokers warm will emit 160,000 tons of CO2 a year, thus eradicating almost 10% of the emission savings to which Britain is pledged under the Kyoto Protocol, according to a British Gas estimate. So, the smoking ban is actually environmentally UN-friendly!
Old 08-07-2007, 19:06   #143
God Member

How many people have actually read the ins and outs of this smoking law? My friends parent own hope and anchor and he enlightened me of a few of the points today.

IF you are a smoker and someone is coming to work at your house, you cannot actually smoke for an hour before they arrive or they do not have to come into your house to do it, they can refuse. So if you need your boiler checking for example, you cannot smoke an hour before the plumber gets there or he can refuse to do it.

My friend made a good point that you should smoke alot if you get a notice that the bailiffs are going to be coming around
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 19:46   #144
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It now turns out that the thousands of patio heaters installed outside pubs to keep diehard smokers warm will emit 160,000 tons of CO2 a year, thus eradicating almost 10% of the emission savings to which Britain is pledged under the Kyoto Protocol, according to a British Gas estimate. So, the smoking ban is actually environmentally UN-friendly!
I revived this thread because I heard today that patio heaters may be banned, I wonder if they would be banned if the houses of parliament had banned smoking there, and they had patio heaters outside?
Old 01-02-2008, 19:48   #145
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
I revived this thread because I heard today that patio heaters may be banned, I wonder if they would be banned if the houses of parliament had banned smoking there, and they had patio heaters outside?
nowt to do with parliament though its the european namby pamby's that are planning it!!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 20:04   #146
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
nowt to do with parliament though its the european namby pamby's that are planning it!!!!!!
Agreed - they wouldn't be if they had our weather
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 20:41   #147
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
Mmmm! Giving in again are they? No surprise there then!
Old 01-02-2008, 21:11   #148
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking ban........

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Agreed - they wouldn't be if they had our weather
Have you sampled the winter weather in Europe?

It is a lot more severe than ours.

We have the North Atlantic Drift (what some people call the Gulf Stream) to keep us about 10 degrees F warmer than we would be without it.
Old 01-02-2008, 21:20   #149
God Member

My one time Italian relatives did not possess overcoats and had one small radiator to heat a 5 roomed apartment.
I understand that the central European landmass has severe winters but mediterranean countries do not (I suppose the Med acts a heat reservoir since seas cool more slowly than land, plus it is a little further south)
Our winter is milder due to the gulf stream but it lasts much longer due to our latitude
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 22:06   #150

Well, I'll keep you all warm - I smoke! In case you thought you did, you do not hear an apology - I do not smoke in the houses of people who do not smoke but I do smoke at home (not in the car - my husband is a reformed smoker but very good about it). The person I feel sorry for is the old man who sat in the corner of the pub, doing no harm to anyone with his pint and his cigarette. Where does he go now - he stays at home! Bit sad but I suppose we are a "dying" breed!
Sue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..