Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-06-2007, 21:03   #16
Passed away 25-11-09

Re: Smoking ban........

The pub opposite my office in Warrington has had a smoking terrace built along the length of one wall. It's a wooden platform, about 2' off the pavement, with a safety rubber surface and tough perspex side panels held in place by steel posts. It's under the eaves of the roof, so it will be sheltered from the rain, and it looks wide enough to put a few chairs on. It actually looks very smart as they've stained and varnished the wood.

I think a lot of pubs will do similar things rather than lose trade. I don't think the ban will stop very many people from indulging in their habit.
Accrington Web
Old 28-06-2007, 21:07   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
I this will cause a lot of worry to you all that smoke,i smoke my self,and i saw on the new,s on bbc this morning a landlord is prapaird to go to jail for letting is punnters smorke in is pub why can they not leave thing,s alone be cause i think my self all the punnters will stay at home and get carry out,s and then all the pub,s and club,s will shut.
Seeing as England is the last in this and the pubs and clubs and have not all shut down in Eire, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, I don't think this will be the case.

I must say I am looking forward to going out for the night and not coming home with my clothes reeeking like an ashtray.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 21:11   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yeh, but that is once only in a 'smoking whilst driving experience' of 46 years, and plenty of mileage per year I can tell you !.. and only two speeding offences during that period (not high speeds either before you ask )

Had more near do's whilst trying to find Radio 2 as I moved a further 100 miles down the road .. before that RDS (?) thingy.
Once is enough to have had a serious accident and missed out on many of those years, and you could've taken out a family car, a bus full of people, anything.

You wouldn't be criminally liable if you did though as it would class as non-insane automatism but under this smoking ban if as example already given, a banned sales person did it whilst driving and the scenario happened, I would be worried they may slam a death by reckless driving charge somebody for it.

Better to be safe than think its ok to bend the rules. Same with people speeding.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 21:14   #19
God Member

As has been said on the other thread,you'll be coming home stinking of other things instead.It was in the paper today how there are lots of smells in a pub that we don't realise are there because cigarette smoke masks them so in future you'll be returning home after an evening's jollification with some dear chums to find that you stink of sweat and farts.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 21:48   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Once is enough to have had a serious accident and missed out on many of those years, and you could've taken out a family car, a bus full of people, anything.

You wouldn't be criminally liable if you did though as it would class as non-insane automatism but under this smoking ban if as example already given, a banned sales person did it whilst driving and the scenario happened, I would be worried they may slam a death by reckless driving charge somebody for it.

Better to be safe than think its ok to bend the rules. Same with people speeding.
Well, didn't happen Blazey, did it ?, but nearly happened on any many occasions whilst changing channels on Radio ! Not a constructive argument really.

Statistics/insurance claims prove that women are more prone to accidents due to the fact that they do short journeys involving children in the back of cars who cause mayhem with their boisterousness, and distract the Mum, by far outweighing any smoking-related accidents

Let's ban all children from our cars, shall we ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 21:54   #21
God Member

Quote:
Well, didn't happen Blazey, did it ?, but nearly happened on any many occasions whilst changing channels on Radio ! Not a constructive argument really.

Statistics/insurance claims prove that women are more prone to accidents due to the fact that they do short journeys involving children in the back of cars who cause mayhem with their boisterousness, and distract the Mum, by far outweighing any smoking-related accidents

Hear hear.I've said similar one one of the several smoking threads we've had.I've come much closer to crashing the car through trying to keep the peace with two squabbling children in the back than I ever have through having a fag.Travelling with children is definitely the riskier of the two.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2007, 22:13   #22
God Member

Quote:

Children are distracting but a crash caused by distraction from a child is much more reasonable than a crash caused by a cigarette that could've waited. They'll have the same principles of using a mobile phone and as there isnt really hands free cigarette and ash catcher, its simple enough to just not allow it at all.

To compare an unnecessary puff on a fag to the necessity of travelling with children seems a very unreasonable one in my mind. Not exactly a good comparison.

The other main problem about smoking in cars isnt the likely-hood of burning yourself anyway, its the disposal of cigarettes out of car windows they're also interested in, which DO cause a large amount of accidents from ignited spillages on the road to flying in other car windows and burning other drivers leading to accidents caused. Its a case of ALL road users safety not just your own.
Old 28-06-2007, 22:17   #23
God Member

Quote:
The other main problem about smoking in cars isnt the likely-hood of burning yourself anyway, its the disposal of cigarettes out of car windows they're also interested in, which DO cause a large amount of accidents from ignited spillages on the road to flying in other car windows and burning other drivers leading to accidents caused. Its a case of ALL road users safety not just your own.
Any chance of the source of that fact ?
Old 28-06-2007, 22:20   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Any chance of the source of that fact ?
it was discussed on BBC Parliament quite a while ago when the bill for the ban came up. I would suppose its written in Hansard lol if there is an internet source for that?

Anyone else watch BBC parliament I love it. NEEEEY.

edit: said NEEEYY as I like to shout along with it
Old 28-06-2007, 22:35   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Children are distracting but a crash caused by distraction from a child is much more reasonable than a crash caused by a cigarette that could've waited. They'll have the same principles of using a mobile phone and as there isnt really hands free cigarette and ash catcher, its simple enough to just not allow it at all.

To compare an unnecessary puff on a fag to the necessity of travelling with children seems a very unreasonable one in my mind. Not exactly a good comparison.

Well, already done the one of 'fag out of the window bit' and the majority of smokers are unanimous that you just do not do it .. full stop.

To me a puff on a fag is very necessary when driving long distances and saves me from becoming ill-tempered and frustrated in traffic jams and therefore leading me open to stress and less concentration.

Yes, of course it is a good comparison as very few accidents caused by smokers compared with other distractions (repeat, repeat). Not really about the necessity anyway .. about the reality of the facts of the causes of accidents. And please don't start me on the necessity of school runners again ..! More accidents on these than smoke-related ones.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 01:04   #26
God Member

Quote:
Well, already done the one of 'fag out of the window bit' and the majority of smokers are unanimous that you just do not do it .. full stop.

To me a puff on a fag is very necessary when driving long distances and saves me from becoming ill-tempered and frustrated in traffic jams and therefore leading me open to stress and less concentration.

Yes, of course it is a good comparison as very few accidents caused by smokers compared with other distractions (repeat, repeat). Not really about the necessity anyway .. about the reality of the facts of the causes of accidents. And please don't start me on the necessity of school runners again ..! More accidents on these than smoke-related ones.
Hate to say it against my own sex but female drivers are a huge cause of accidents, particularly people getting knocked over. They never indicate, they don't pay attention to crossings and they are definatly worse drivers than men and I don't care what complaints i get about THESE remarks. The amount of times i've seen women drivers make really bad driving mistakes that could seriously harm pedestrians has actually scared me from learning to drive myself as I'm afraid I would drive just as badly and injure someone. Women drivers are MANIACS.

In regards to accidents on school runs compared to cigarette related ones, I thought we were on about fatalities. I wouldn't have thought many people die from accidents on the school run, half the time the cars dont move and just park whereever they please.
Old 29-06-2007, 01:08   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Seeing as England is the last in this and the pubs and clubs and have not all shut down in Eire, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, I don't think this will be the case.

I must say I am looking forward to going out for the night and not coming home with my clothes reeeking like an ashtray.
I don't think smokers actually realise how bad it actually is for non-smokers to go to the pub and have sore eyes all night because your not used to the smoke like they are, then you stink of it afterwards. I'm not a drinker either so I don't go out for alcohol, just a soft drink, but at least when I get home I don't have to smell of alcohol and have all the badness of the habit pushed onto me. Smokers can be really ignorant to other peoples feelings on it.

People who smoke in bus shelters is my pet hate
Old 29-06-2007, 01:10   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The pub opposite my office in Warrington has had a smoking terrace built along the length of one wall. It's a wooden platform, about 2' off the pavement, with a safety rubber surface and tough perspex side panels held in place by steel posts. It's under the eaves of the roof, so it will be sheltered from the rain, and it looks wide enough to put a few chairs on. It actually looks very smart as they've stained and varnished the wood.

I think a lot of pubs will do similar things rather than lose trade. I don't think the ban will stop very many people from indulging in their habit.
another thing to add, alot of pubs have been fitting weather proof widescreen tellys so that smokers can still watch the sports at the pub but outdoors where they will be able to smoke. I think its a good idea and with perhaps a gazebo or something to shelter if it rains, it's a good way to go and everyone is happy!
Old 29-06-2007, 22:48   #29
Junior Member+

Would like to thank you all for your contributions, obviously a very emotive subject...... Special thanks to Kipax for sharing.... made my eyes water.... Have to say in 30 years driving 45K+ a year, have never set fire to myself..... Keep it coming, folks........
mushroom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 23:05   #30

As smoker and a driver think its time for smokers to be honest-
- It is unfair to smoke aroubd people who choose not to
- It can be distracting to have a fag whilst driving- the comment about all smokers not throwing tabs out of the car isnt true is it- and theres always that odd one that doesnt quite make it out usualy on the motorway.
- Smoking ban long overdue, its about time and we all know it.

The problem is going to be as has been the case in a number of Dublin pubs- where lanlords let people smoke and pay the fine on a regular basis as what they pay in fines is less than the revenue some of them were losing.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..