Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 06:24   #61
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Smoking ban........

well now officially uk is a no smoking area in public places
i think the hardest time will be in nightclubs, i mean you cant just nip out for a fag can ya!

p.s love the avatar garinda
Old 01-07-2007, 09:18   #62
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
i think the hardest time will be in nightclubs, i mean you cant just nip out for a fag can ya!

p.s love the avatar garinda
When I went out clubbing in Glasgow in Febuary, visiting my old haunts, the door staff stamped your hand if you wanted a cigarette.

You had to stand in a gazebo, packed in like sardines, and of course you couldn't take your drink outside. I wonder if there'll be an increase of people saying their drinks have been spiked, because of this?

The clubs were a lot less busy, than when I lived up there three years prior to the ban being introduced.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:44   #63

can you smoke in the town centre or does it only mean indoors?
carl hurles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl hurles View Post
can you smoke in the town centre or does it only mean indoors?
You can smoke in the town centre, or anywhere that is not enclosed by more than two walls. Just don't drop your fag end on the floor, because you'll be fined.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29   #65
Senior Member+

All i'm saying on this subject is....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:59   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
When I went out clubbing in Glasgow in Febuary, visiting my old haunts, the door staff stamped your hand if you wanted a cigarette.

You had to stand in a gazebo, packed in like sardines, and of course you couldn't take your drink outside. I wonder if there'll be an increase of people saying their drinks have been spiked, because of this?

The clubs were a lot less busy, than when I lived up there three years prior to the ban being introduced.
dont know what clubs you went to ? ( grab a granny night at the savoy perhaps ) but the ones I go to when back up there are just as busy as they were before the ban was brought in...
and being a non smoker I think its great - same when going for a meal in a pub..no smoke floating under your nose when your eating...and for every smoker who says they wont go back to their local cos of the ban- it may result in more non smokers going out to that pub...so the pub owner may see an increase in custom in that respect...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:14   #67
God Member

We can only wait and see what will happen but none of the none smokers I know who are all clapping their hands in glee at the ban have any intention of going to the pub more often themselves but ,as someone else said,they will be the ones complaining when half of them are shut at Christmas.This no smoking's alright in your swanky wine bars in Manchester but not round here in your boozers and working mens clubs.I think it will be the death knell for a lot of working mens clubs round here.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:16   #68
God Member

Who went out last night?Did anyone go round Ossy or Accy?What was it like?Was it really busy with people going out for their last fag in the pub?Did anyone go to one of those smoking parties?
Old 01-07-2007, 15:27   #69
Senior Member+

We've been really quiet all day even for food. It may be because of the rotten weather, we'll just have to wait & see.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 15:30   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post
We've been really quiet all day even for food. It may be because of the rotten weather, we'll just have to wait & see.

Perhaps everyone has gone to The Crown?
Old 01-07-2007, 15:30   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay View Post

Which pub do you work in?
Old 01-07-2007, 15:31   #72
Senior Member+

The Oaklea Tavern on Whalley Rd.

Old 01-07-2007, 15:33   #73
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Perhaps everyone has gone to The Crown?
I drove past the Crown earlier this afternoon, it was also quiet. I'll be popping down there in about an hour for a couple of drinks.

Old 01-07-2007, 16:47   #74
Senior Member+

I'd put it down to the weather Jay, it's beginning to do my nut in !
Old 01-07-2007, 17:15   #75
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Smoking ban........

Quote:
The ban is no smoking in ENCLOSED public places panther. Too many people are twisting the legislation to mean just places where members of the public have access to. Like walking down the street or in parks etc.
Quote:
or anywhere that is not enclosed by more than two walls
I’m not saying you are wrong garinda, but where does that come from? To enclose an area means a wall all the way round and a roof. Or is this just another urban myth that is being put forward by the anti-smoking lobby to try and get bus shelters and the like included in the ban?

There is talk that some councils are asking home owners and tenants to not light up at least one hour before an official or workman is due to attend and certainly not during the attendance and also to open the windows during that time. Asking now - making it the law tomorrow?

As I understand it the ban only applies to tobacco products so in theory you could light up a fag made from cabbage leaves or fill your pipe with nettle leaves.

When the smoking in enclosed public spaces was first put forward by Labour they declared that private clubs, where members voted to allow smoking, and pubs, which do not serve prepared food would be exempt. Another Tony lie!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..