Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 15:12   #31
Resident Waffler

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Haven't you seen the ads on TV which show babies and small children with smoke coming fom their mouths and noses? This is trying to get the point across that passive smoking in front of children can be as bad as giving them a cigarette of their own.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2005, 15:20   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i,m a heavy smoker! don,t smoke in the house, dont smoke in enclosed spaces eg cars with kids, agree they should be kept away from kids in such instances,but agree entirely with asm in regards to smokers are a soft/easy target.
Old 05-09-2005, 15:21   #33

OMG dog with a bone springs to mind LOL get a grip!!!

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:27   #34
I am Banned

i am a 21 year old girl who has never in her life touched a cigarette. my 15 year old sister hasnt neither, we dont need to. you see we live in a pub. i class us as passive smokers. if i had the chance i would take her out of the pub life and live in a normal house where smoking is banned. we dont have a choice but to live in an ashtray. it isnt my parents fault, it just annoys me when people say i cant give up smoking or you wouldnt understand what its like! err hello what about the people who dont smoke dont the people who smoke understand what we might want sometimes????

i hate smoking but yet smokers think there hard done to by people who dont smoke.
well my lungs are hard done to by your smoke!!!!!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:31   #35
I am Banned

So Gayle if u was the PM what would u do shove all smokers with children in prison???? this country is bad enough with real criminals n the current figures over prisons over subscribed by inmates as it is with violent crime on the increase, how will this be policed??? dont forget our lovely social services dept n the need for foster carers n increased need for care homes, there are other serious issues that need attention with regards to children n other social issues that cause harm n yet the smoking issue is more prevailment. Where would this funding come from to punish, cos it has to come from somewhere. Like i said get things into real life perspective plz. Safe places for children to play, better parks, protection of those whom are in real danger to life as the percentage to smoking than to other issues of child safety is small, n children are v bright n knowlegable about the subject these days to be objectionable.

LIKE I SAID WHERE DOES THE LINE GET DRAWN
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:33   #36
I am Banned

Thanx Cash u understand me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
i,m a heavy smoker! don,t smoke in the house, dont smoke in enclosed spaces eg cars with kids, agree they should be kept away from kids in such instances,but agree entirely with asm in regards to smokers are a soft/easy target.
Old 05-09-2005, 15:37   #37
I am Banned

simple just dont smoke around children go into a different room open a window smoke to your hearts content. just dont let the children smoke it with you thats just plain cruel. they dont have a choice in the matter do they?? they look up to their parents. dont think you would like it if (if you have childen) to see them walking down the street with a cigarette in their trap would you?? or would you be total oposite and be very proud that youve learned them to smoke??
Old 05-09-2005, 15:40   #38
I am Banned

Erm kids can pick up smoking habit from senior schools n friends houses, out in pubs aka social smokers its anywhere not necessarily on their own homes....so like i said where does the line on this get drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
simple just dont smoke around children go into a different room open a window smoke to your hearts content. just dont let the children smoke it with you thats just plain cruel. they dont have a choice in the matter do they?? they look up to their parents. dont think you would like it if (if you have childen) to see them walking down the street with a cigarette in their trap would you?? or would you be total oposite and be very proud that youve learned them to smoke??

Last edited by accystanmac; 05-09-2005 at 15:41.
Old 05-09-2005, 15:42   #39
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
Erm kids can pick up smoking habit from senior schools n friends houses, out in pubs aka social smokers not necessarily on their own homes....so like i said where does the line on this get drawn
not when there young and vulnerable, when there at the age when they learn more???????
Old 05-09-2005, 15:42   #40
Resident Waffler

Spot On Baby Boo. Nobody is saying the parents should stop smoking if thy don't want to, just that it's unfair to force their children to smoke. Older children may very well be able to object but toddlers and babies can't and their lungs are the more at risk.

Cashman has a sensible smoker's attitude. If he wants to smoke he just does it where it isn't affecting a child or bothering a non-smoker. Non-smokers appreciate such consideration.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:45   #41
I am Banned

you could just draw the line at you know you shouldnt smoke near children so why go on about it ??
Old 05-09-2005, 15:47   #42
Senior Member+

I don't see that there is much difference between smoking near a child and what you would call physical abuse. The scars on the outside heal, but damage to their lungs is permanent, but only physical abuse gets Social Services intervention.

You have an odd point of view, accystanmac

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 15:50   #43
I am Banned

No cos i have a different point of view n because i dont agree with all points
Old 05-09-2005, 15:52   #44
Senior Member+

You appear to condone smoking near children.

Just keep away from mine when you light up

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:06   #45
God Member

I smoke but i dont have any kids but i do have nieces and nephews the youngest niece only being 3 months old. Her and her brother who is 2 1/2 came to my house today to visit my mum - i didnt smoke in the 3hrs that they were here because even tho their mum used to smoke until she was preggers with the first one she doesnt like it. When they were all babies and toddlers i never smoked in front of them until they went to school at the age of 5 I always went out in the garden or in a different room and if i was babysitting i always went and stood at the back door. And if i am with a group of non smokers i dont smoke round them because it isnt fair to them i go and wander off and have a fag r i just dont have a ciggie then when i get home im like a chimney! lol Even at home sometimes if mums not well i go and smoke outside or wait until shes gone to bed.

There are some smokers who do respect non-smokers you know.

By the way when i was driving i did smoke and drive but never when i had the kids in the back.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..