Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 16:09   #46
Resident Waffler

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh

There are some smokers who do respect non-smokers you know.

Most probably do and it is very much appreciated, especially by people who have breathing problems which can be severely affected by passive smoking.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2005, 16:12   #47
I am Banned

No i dont its what u is reading into it cos i smoke n was objectioning to thread that was biased against smokers n that other areas was to be considered in relation to children n suddenly im made responsible as i said i respect non smokers /areas n kids but sayin its not going to be easy thing to police with society as a whole.

The original thread is directed that smokers KILL kids is a strong statement in context of childrens deaths whereas rd accidents are the main killers, n if u read my posts properly im not sayin it doesnt cause them harm, i just think the original thread was a strong biased opinion to say kill n make it directed at smokers whereas other issues are not even considered in thread. But yet i get attacked n judged for my opinion on this subject which ppl have twisted to suit.

I have non smoking friends n i dont polute their environment as ive said so many times in this thread, tho it seems there is more annomosity over smokers even tho they dont smoke in front of kids as im getting at the mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
You appear to condone smoking near children.

Just keep away from mine when you light up
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:16   #48
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Excuse me but, Smoking in this country isn't illegal! However if you don't want your children to be affected then it is YOUR responsibility to keep them safe, NOT mine.

(I actually try not to smoke too close to children, but I don't need a smart arse to tell me that!).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:18   #49
I am Banned

Exactly Less!!

[QUOTE=Less]Excuse me but, Smoking in this country isn't illegal! However if you don't want your children to be affected then it is YOUR responsibility to keep them safe, NOT mine.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 17:04   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accystanmac
objectioning to thread that was biased against smokers .
The thread was not biased against smokers - it was biased against smokers who smoke in a closed environment with kids present.

Smokers are not an 'easy' target at all. Seeing as you asked - if I was PM I wouldn't ban smoking all together but I would make it an offence to smoke in a car with children present. It is simply cruel and you've said yourself that you respect other people whilst smoking. So why are you defending the woman that I saw earlier on today who is putting the lives of her two young children at risk. Surely, you'd have been the first to object if she hadn't strapped them into the car or if she'd been on the phone whilst driving - so why are you defending her smoking in such close proximity to them. And before you go of on one again, she wasn't even moving the car at the time that I saw her so I'm not talking about the risk of driving whilst smoking.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 17:06   #51
Resident Waffler

Well those smokers who do smoke in front of their children will have to explain to them when they are older and ask why they did it. "Didn't you care about making me ill Mummy?"

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 17:46   #52
God Member

And so the argument goes round and round and round. It seems that smokers are more the object of criticism than terrorists these days. It seems any excuse will do to have a go at us, from "you are killing yourselves", "you are killing those around you" even to accusations of child abuse!

Are we not getting all this a little out of proportion? ASH, who campaign against smoking claim that smoking costs the NHS £750,000,000 per year. Presumably they calculate the cost on the number of smoking related deaths, which, it must be said, is a bit suspect, since we all have to die of something and would be a net cost the NHS whatever we died of. Secondly through direct taxation, the smoking fraternity coughs up net reciepts to HM Treasury of £20,000,000,000. and every year that sum increases at a rate above inflation.

Just think of the numbers of operations that twenty billion quid pays for; to the benefit of smokers and non-smokers alike! Treating people who have so little self-control that they cannot control their eating costs the NHS far more than treating smokers and this is a figure which seems set to rise and rise!

You don't like the smell of tobacco smoke, Ok. There are lots of smells I'm not too keen on, women drenched in perfume being among the chief of them, but do you hear me calling for the banning of perfume on the grounds of general nuisance and danger to health; excessive levels of the chemicals used in perfumes also exacerbate respiratory complaints?

You prefer not to have your clothes tainted with the smell of tobacco smoke during a night out. Fine, go someplace where smoking is not allowed.

You prefer not to have to breathe someone elses smoke. Will you also start complaining about having to breathe vehicle exhaust fumes or the fumes from factories? Will you now give up your cars and public transport in case you are inadvertantly the cause of respiratory illness in others?

There are two health messages on my current packet of cigarettes, one of which reads, "Smoking when pregnant harms your baby" This is undeniably true but, so do many other things, many of which are equally avoidable!

It comes down in the end to a matter of choice and an assumption. I choose to smoke. It is my body and I am free to use and abuse it in any way I see fit and I reject completely and utterly any attempt to dictate to me what I may or may not do with it. The assumption is based on the fact that the people around me are aware that I smoke and yet still choose to associate with me, in spite of my habit. Thus I can only assume that they do not mind overmuch.

Yes, like Gayle, I would wish that some Parents would refrain from smoking in front of their children. Just as I would wish that some parents would refrain from abusing and neglecting their children and filling their impressionable minds with all manner of irrational fears and hatreds. But the world in which we live is an imperfect place at best and I think there are things in it that are much more deserving of getting hot-under-the-collar about than smoking.
Old 05-09-2005, 17:55   #53
land of hope and glory

Is that why the government wont put a total ban on smoking A-B
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 18:11   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Excuse me but, Smoking in this country isn't illegal! However if you don't want your children to be affected then it is YOUR responsibility to keep them safe, NOT mine..
I dont smoke.. no one in this house does.. less is correct.. If I dont want my children to breath in smoke then i dont take them to smokey places... I also dont let them play on the M65 for simmilarly obvious reasons
Old 05-09-2005, 18:15   #55
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby boo
i am a 21 year old girl who has never in her life touched a cigarette. my 15 year old sister hasnt neither, we dont need to. you see we live in a pub. i class us as passive smokers. if i had the chance i would take her out of the pub life and live in a normal house where smoking is banned. we dont have a choice but to live in an ashtray. it isnt my parents fault, it just annoys me when people say i cant give up smoking or you wouldnt understand what its like! err hello what about the people who dont smoke dont the people who smoke understand what we might want sometimes????

i hate smoking but yet smokers think there hard done to by people who dont smoke.
well my lungs are hard done to by your smoke!!!!!
baby boo, with your mum and dad smoking did this have any effect on you not wanting to smoke?
Old 05-09-2005, 19:09   #56
God Member

I would settle for criminalminimum sentence 10 years for attempted murder to me that what it amounts to. It takes me a lot of steam to get the mother in law to walk to the house door to smoke when my daughter is about. Mind you locking up the mother in law does have its good points, I wouldnt have to fork out for a dragaon slayer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 00:09   #57
I am Banned

[QUOTE=accystanmac]Exactly Less!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
Excuse me but, Smoking in this country isn't illegal! However if you don't want your children to be affected then it is YOUR responsibility to keep them safe, NOT mine.
no it isnt illegal i agree but is it my responsibility that i live in a public house???? where i am constantly forced to breathe in other peoples smoke??? is it my sisters responsibility to have to live where she lives????? where she to is forced to breathe in other peoples smoke??? im not blaming my parents but come on at least feel sorry for the people who have to put up with this kinda or junk going into their bodies when they didnt ask for it anyway????
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 00:10   #58
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggeringman
baby boo, with your mum and dad smoking did this have any effect on you not wanting to smoke?
no coz i hear you every morning trying to stay alive why should i put up with that???
Old 06-09-2005, 00:15   #59
I am Banned

and you always told me that smoking was bad for your health i think i must have been the last kid on the planet to do what there parents told them because no kids do nowadays if anything they do the total opposite.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:03   #60
land of hope and glory

please could you repeat what you said!plus you never answered my question?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..