Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2006, 11:50   #121
God Member

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
As much as I agree that children should not be placed in a position where they can breathe in tobacco smoke
So you do agree with me!

Quote:
Gayle isn’t it equally the same not to place them anywhere near a motor vehicle?

Not quite the same but I won't argue your point.

Quote:
Oh! Sorry I forgot cars are essential to our way of life so it’s OK to kill kids with exhaust fumes then.
Quote:
I have never said that or argued that at all!

Quote:
Whilst they are stuck in the car what do you think that they breathe in? Fresh air? Where from? Oh! You mean THAT fresh air from outside loaded with chemical cocktails of potential death straight from the exhaust of other vehicles. Some fresh air!
Quote:
A darn sight fresher than having cigarette smoke pumped into you from two foot away when being trapped in a car with a smoker!

Quote:
Instead of these “holier than thou” non smokers pontificating about tobacco smoke and how it is killing kids they should tackle the real culprit – the infernal combustion engine and industry.

Don't even presume to know me! I have reduced my driving considerably over the last few years when I used to drive everywhere. I walk whenever possible and encourage my children to do the same. We go for regular walks in the country to get real 'fresh' air. I am well aware of the risks of this sort of fumes from car exhausts.

We agree on the main point of this thread, we even agree to some degree on your point but please don't confuse the two!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-04-2006, 12:06   #122
I am Banned

OOOh is this post still going?????

Posting a thread like this will insinuate the non smokers verus smokers discrimination war.

But as Jambutty has made an excellent point about motor vehicles & pollution lets get real there are far more worse things in our world today than the fag, the ozone layer is decreasing at dramatic rates, changing our climates world wide....ask the south about their hose pipe bans, the stuff pumped out of some vehicles are far more damaging to breathe in - as been said about the young pedestrians...called children not only are they at far more risk of being killed on the roads. I dont drive so dont own such a vehicle but as with the pleasures of smoking the same is done to drivers - highly taxable revenue but are anyone having a go at car owners - nope! some cars are worse than others & the chocking black smoke & smell of fumes are far more imposed on people not wanting to breathe it in than from smoking. Again as ive said before to blame everything on the smokers is a soft easy target that are becoming a minority.

Anything can be a potential killer!! There are kids still dying of poverty even in UK & other things. So lets get real here!!

Last edited by accymel; 17-04-2006 at 12:13.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 15:37   #123
Junior Member+

wot a hot topic! i have to agree that smoking in front of young children is not good for them it does damage ther health. i am a smoker and a mother to a little one as wel and i dont smoke in confined spaces around my child but i have to say ther are other things just as damaging in the great outdoors. My daughter was once stood at my side wen a bus set of and she coughed more of the diesel fumes then she ever has of fag smoke and wot r we doing bout things like that? mmmm not much. so i think im a bit wi accymel on this - not a popular view i bet but come on thers a lot more harming our kids out ther and we need to look at those as well x
Old 17-04-2006, 19:56   #124
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

I have never said anything other than smoking in front of children is bad.

No! You won’t argue the car point because you cannot. Tell me again how it is not bad for kids to be pushed along in a push chair or taken by the hand and led around town amidst the traffic with exhaust fumes being pumped directly into their faces. You are right it isn’t equally the same – it is worse.

Strange how during the last ten years the incidence of asthma in the young has increased sharply when the smoking population has decreased a lot and there are more cars on the road today than there were ten years ago.
Quote:
A darn sight fresher than having cigarette smoke pumped into you from two foot away when being trapped in a car with a smoker!
Really Gayle? I’ll tell you what - you lock me in a car for an hour and I will smoke 20 cigarettes whilst at the same time you lock yourself in a medium sized garage with a car and it’s engine running.

Guess who will come out if not feet first then at least unconscious. It won’t be me!

Real fresh air in the country Gayle? Which country would that be? Antarctica perhaps and maybe at the top of the highest mountain ranges but not down here. This precious fresh air that people keep on about contains 3% less oxygen than it did 50 years ago, with more CO2 plus a vast cocktail of chemicals pumped into the atmosphere from industry and aircraft.

You like most other anti smoking brigade are as two faced as they come with their tut tutting when a smoker appears on the horizon, yet will happily jump into their cars and drive away spewing out noxious fumes from the exhaust likely as not straight into some kid’s face.
Old 17-04-2006, 20:01   #125
God Member

I don't tut tut when a smoker comes along. I am not anti smoking - I don't particularly like it but I've said many times that I couldn't care less what you choose to put inside your body, it's your choice and nothing to do with me. I don't even mind about smoking in pubs because then it's my choice whether I stay or not. My one and only point on this thread is that people should not smoke in cars when there are children about - I think that's cruel.

You are so obsessed with your own argument, which by the way I've agreed with, that you can't seem to accept the initial point is all that I was trying to make.

Old 17-04-2006, 20:03   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Oh pick on the smokers again!!! personally i think alcholic abuse is a worse form of neglect n largely ignored but its more socially acceptable for big drinkers than smokers these days,
So can we get things in perspective
Its worse to stick pins in a child eyes than to smack a child hard,so do you condone smacking?
by comparing smoking to alcohol does that mean its okay to smoke around a human being that does not have the ability to walk away from it?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 20:13   #127
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskitty
Its worse to stick pins in a child eyes than to smack a child hard,so do you condone smacking?
by comparing smoking to alcohol does that mean its okay to smoke around a human being that does not have the ability to walk away from it?
Mmmm what extremes you go to eh? voluntarily blinding??? i think you have missed the point & arguement on smacking is surely another thread!

least the arguement is better balanced on fume to fume rate!!

I take it you haven't lived with an alcoholic????
Old 17-04-2006, 21:05   #128
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

If, as you say Gayle, you have agreed that there is far more pollution coming from industry, aircraft and the ubiquitous infernal combustion engine than from the smoking of tobacco, when as a politician, are you going to do something about it?

I think that the answer to that will be never. Tobacco smokers were an easy target.

Alcohol causes far more misery and deaths to others so let’s start a campaign to ban drinking in public places. No more drunken brawls in our town centres. No more drunken drivers mowing down innocent people whose only crime was to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many more A&E staff have to be abused by drunken louts with their self inflicted injuries?

Any takers?
Old 17-04-2006, 21:12   #129
God Member

This is very funny. Have a dig at a smoker doing something absolutely ridiculous with a cigarette, that most normal people smokers or not would find deplorable, and you always get one. My step dad is an alcoholic, I drive a car, I don't see what any of the arguments that anybody has written here have got to do with a parent, or responsible adult smoking a cigarette two feet away from a child in a car. She should be punished, It's damaging the child's health, a child's health that she should be protecting. You say don't take a child in to town, don't take a child in a car, don't let them play out on the road, BUT the easiest to avoid doing out of all the things is smoking in front of the child. Could she really not wait TWO minutes until she lit up, or put it out for two minutes.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 21:13   #130
God Member

Quote:
If, as you say Gayle, you have agreed that there is far more pollution coming from industry, aircraft and the ubiquitous infernal combustion engine than from the smoking of tobacco, when as a politician, are you going to do something about it?

I think that the answer to that will be never.

If I was a politician that would be a different matter and I would do something about it but even if I get elected I won't be in a position to make a difference to any of those issues. I'm going for local council not parliament!

So yes, you're right - never!

If you feel so strongly about it what are you doing apart from sounding off about it on here? Have you lobbied your MP, have you written to the Prime Minister, have you got in touch with any organisations that are working to ban cars and transport?

Last edited by Gayle; 17-04-2006 at 21:15.
Old 17-04-2006, 21:17   #131
I am Banned

Gayle as thread starter........................ answer us this

How many children have died of 2nd hand smoke?????
Old 17-04-2006, 21:23   #132
God Member

I'm sorry but to me this thread is just full of non-smokers and do-gooders bulls**t! Looking back my parents and grandparents nursed me with a fag in one hand and more than likely so did their parents and grandparents! If it had any serious consequences to health I don't think any of us would be here!
Old 17-04-2006, 21:25   #133
God Member

Taken from an American website

Children and toddlers are the most vulnerable to secondhand smoke. It is found that children whose parents smoke are often infested with some respiratory ailment. It may aggravate children's sinusitis, rhinitis and bronchia, and also make them more prone to minor ailments like common colds and coughs. A 1992 study of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) showed that each year passive smoking causes respiratory ailments in about 150,000 to 300,000 children under the age of 18 months.

Taken from Cancer Research site in the UK

Children are particularly at risk because they breathe faster than adults and have underdeveloped immune systems. A study by the Royal College of Physicians showed that about 17,000 children in the UK are admitted to hospital every year because of illnesses caused by second-hand smoke.

A recent large study of over 300,000 people found that children who were frequently exposed to cigarette smoke at home had a higher risks of lung cancer as adults. Another study found that children in households where both parents smoke have a 72% higher risk of respiratory diseases.

Childhood exposure to second-hand smoke had also been linked to a wide range of other conditions including asthma, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (or cot death), childhood meningitis, mental disabilities and autism.

Old 17-04-2006, 21:27   #134
God Member

I look after elderly people of age 90 and over, that still like to have a ciggy!! 90 years old and still smoking!! NOT bad eh??

But then my dad died of SARCOIDOSIS ( which alot of people will never have heard of) which a severe and very rare chest complaint. He died at age 44 and never ever touched a ciggy in his whole life!!!!!!!!!

COME ON!!! when your times up it's up I'm afraid!!

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2006, 21:30   #135
I am Banned

Mmmm still avoids the question though, all that you have posted is university statisically guesses not actual facts & only based on assumptions.

Anything can cause the mentioned illness & problems, pollution again is a factor, cancer can be seemingly caused by owt ....even mobile phone masts latest culprit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..