Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43   #1
God Member

Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

I've just popped out to post some letters and saw a young mum tucking her kids safely into the car. She put the older one (about 3yr old) in the back seat and made sure the seat belt was fastened. Then she put the younger one (a baby in a car seat) nicely secured. I was thinking 'how sweet' until she turned around and I realised that all the time she'd had a fag in her mouth.

I implore you, if you do this, please stop. I couldn't care less about adults, if you want to smoke then fine, it's your choice and I have no problems with smokey pubs or anywhere else because if I choose to go in them that's my choice. But, please please don't kill your children like this.

Children have tiny little lungs, if they're stuck in a car with a smoker they are inhaling as much, if not more than the smoker is.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2005, 08:45   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Smoking near children should be a punishable offence!

As a smoker I find that appalling.

She might as well as offered the child one as well.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:01   #3
God Member

I know! I'm sure a lot of smokers are very concientious - my hubby used to smoke but he never smoked in the house and he always (even outdoors) walked away from the kids to smoke - but some are extremely selfish.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:06   #4
Clearly Classy.......

Totally agree Gary and Gayle, in my profile its down as one of my pet hates! I think its totally disgraceful, it should be classed a physical abuse. Whenever someone smokes near my children I either remove my children or ask them politely not to, it depends on the situation.

For example: How would someone feel that they may have contributed or caused death of a baby because they smoked around them........mmm doesn't sound so good when you say it like that but it's one of the risk factors stated by SIDS (Sudden Infant Deaths Syndrome).

Another way to look at it is: I can almost bet that if a car manufacturer stated that if drivers smoked in their 10-20 grand cars it would seize up the engine and ruin the car for good. The majority of them would not smoke in their cars. So why oh why...........you know the rest.....................

Sorry rant over!!! Great thread.

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:42   #5
I am Banned

Oh pick on the smokers again!!! personally i think alcholic abuse is a worse form of neglect n largely ignored but its more socially acceptable for big drinkers than smokers these days, n tbh SS's do f-all about that nevermind investigating smokers but if they did then less resource is avail where its needed like in real cases of child abuse that end in death by lack of intervention.

So can we get things in perspective
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:15   #6
God Member

as a smoker I am very aware of smoking around my children and do not smoke in the car when they are in (oops tell a lie, once did when stuck in traffic jam but had head practically out the window).

Theres another angle to this its not worth the hassle I get off my kids to stop smoking when they do see me! Selfish perspective I think

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:43   #7
God Member

I agree with you Gayle, I too hate to see anybody smoking infront of their young children, especially in a car, I dont smoke and would never let anybody smoke near my daughter, I dont take her into pubs or any other smoky environments. I dont think this is having a go at the smokers because a lot of smokers I know feel the same way. I was driving behind a women last week she had one hand on the wheel, the other held up with a fag in it and there were 2 child seats in the back, it knocked me sick, this should also be considered as dangerous driving.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:06   #8
I am Banned

As its a topical discussion im gonna be on unpopular view because as ive said i think there are far more dangerous n worse things than smoking....smoking in a car = dangerous driving how rediculous drinking is worse that does n is proven to kill on rds.

For a smoker its not just about addiction its about what the cig does for some ppl ie keeps em calm, can aid concentration etc. Take the car incident n that person was banned from smoking that person is gonna crave more as with owt u always want what u cant have more, the worse could happen in that senario is that the person gets v annoyed n stressed easily n could put others at more danger dependant on type of person or another way they take their frustration out on the kids for not smoking n kids are v stressful at best of times. OK i can respect public places n ppl for non smoking but i think smokin in own homes n cars are that persons choice n responsiblility n quite a cheek when the tax rate on fags is serious inflation n being told what to do.

My mate had an ashma attack a bit back n ran out of her puffers the ambulance crew told her to actually have a fag as shes a smoker [believe it or not] because the fag would calm her down n slow down her breathing enough to re regulate it - thus fore needed no xtra intervention.

What im sayin may sound selfish but its my perspective if it weren't fags it'll be something else.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:16   #9
Resident Waffler

It's a sad fact the smokers do tend to ignore the effect that their smoking has on other people. They justify what they do by claiming that they are only affecting themselves and should have freedom of choice to do so but when what they are doing can cause health problems for a child or even lead to the death of a baby then it is an unbelievably selfish attitude. Totally agree with you Gayle.

As for the "fag in hand hampering a driver" versus the "stress caused by and addict being deprived of their fix" debate it's hard to say which scenario would be the most dangerous, but if holding a phone is a hazard then surely holding a cigarette is one too, the hand isn't fully in control of the wheel.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:20   #10
I am Banned

sorry for my so called ignorance but im not breaking the law
Old 05-09-2005, 12:28   #11
Resident Waffler

Do you have children? How would you feel if you had smoked in a confined space with a baby and then learned that the baby had died and smoke inhalation had been a major contributing factor? If that were me I would feel terrible. I can't begin to describe how I would feel, full of regret certainly.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:29   #12
Give, give, give member

I don't drive an awful long way anymore, but was never able to smoke and drive at the same time anyway, if I wanted a cigarette I'd have to stop and stretch my legs and a smoke.

I drove past a woman this morning on Stonebridge Lane who nearly swerved into me. She had one hand on the wheel and in the other a mobile phone and a fag. She got the Rindy finger.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:33   #13
Resident Waffler

I misread that then and for a minute I had a vision of a woman with three hands!

Old 05-09-2005, 12:34   #14
I am Banned

Yes Willow!!! but such in life ive had much more dangerous things happen than that n yes my kids are healthy thanx. The most dangerous to life threatening are some ppl tbh, in fact marriage nrly snuffed me!!!

But where do u draw the line everything has capacity to be dangerous, talking of cot death even the position of the baby in its is apparent n then changed it n its not just confined to house of smokers, i lost a baby b4 my 2 i have now n i gave up smoking completely.

Last edited by accystanmac; 05-09-2005 at 12:35.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36   #15
Resident Waffler

I lost 2 and I've never smoked.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..