Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2006, 01:22   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Snitching On Your Neighbours

often wondered about the hosepipe bans etc with the amount of rain we get here? where i lived in spain they average 36 days a year rain, and yes the reservoirs get well down,but they never seemed to have bans, also they never seemed to stop watering the gardens and parks etc, maybe junneta could comment on tenerife? as for snitching on neighbours who break the ban, more chance of me being struck by lightening, when the companies STOP all the wastage through leaks, i may rethink.
Old 20-04-2006, 06:15   #17
God Member

One of the key reasons for shortages is that the Water companies sold off most reservoirs to build houses on for a short term cash gain. Look at Spinners court, the estate on Burnley road etc. I can think of 4 ex res's roound Hyndburn.

Yes we need to fix the leaks, as JB says, it is unacceptable for the major waster to tell us to stop wasting water. This is one of the major problems with privatisation. The infrastructure does not get the investment it needs to maintain it never mind improve it. Look at the railways for another good example

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 07:59   #18
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Snitching On Your Neighbours

They still manage to pay good share dividends entwisi and not forgetting handsome salaries and bonuses to senior management.
Old 20-04-2006, 09:38   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
They still manage to pay good share dividends entwisi and not forgetting handsome salaries and bonuses to senior management.
Very true and yet these managers dont seem to be able to orginise the repairs. Companies are scared to do anything that will affect their share divi but a bit of pain for them while fixing the leaks can be a long term gain. How can the share price look good if the primary asset is disappearing. To me that shouts bad management of the highest order.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2006, 21:48   #20
God Member

I blame the government. They should force them to fix the leaks.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:17   #21
I am Banned

Just rang to pay me water bill surprisingly it was someone English & he was flirty so thats put a smile on me face lol

Found out though that billis this year have increased 9.5% cos i asked why my monthly bill is nearly £3 more a month to go no doubt to fixing leaky pipes
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:53   #22
God Member

More likely its going on fat pay rises for the bosses and shareholder sweetners.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 14:08   #23
Senior Member+

Well, Cashman, I can tell you that we never have water shortages here in Tenerife, even though we only get a few days rain a year down in the south of the island.

I'm reliably informed by 'im indoors that huge tanks are buried up in the mountains and these supply most of the water. The rainfall is greater in the north. There are a couple of desalination centres too.

As for water bills, they amount to a few euros a month. We are told that it is safe to drink but we do buy drinking water seperately which isn't a problem as a lorry delivers to the door and charges 90 cents for an eight litre bottle.

June xx
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 17:00   #24
Resting in peace

We are careful with water down here - I use a watering can when I need to, but not the hosepipe. We shower rather than taking baths, and don't flush if it doesn't need it. I just wish the water companies were as careful - 25% is a total understatement of what some of them waste by leaks. I save water as well by buying bottled water in London, because the stuff from the tap tastes foul. I love it in Ossy when I can just go to the tap and get a glass of fresh cold water that tastes good and that doesn't leave a film on the glass. Perhaps if we have a really hot Summer, David and I are going to have to wait a fortnight between showers - only when we come up. I promise not to visit any of you until after a good scrub down!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 17:46   #25
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Well, Cashman, I can tell you that we never have water shortages here in Tenerife, even though we only get a few days rain a year down in the south of the island.

I'm reliably informed by 'im indoors that huge tanks are buried up in the mountains and these supply most of the water. The rainfall is greater in the north. There are a couple of desalination centres too.

As for water bills, they amount to a few euros a month. We are told that it is safe to drink but we do buy drinking water seperately which isn't a problem as a lorry delivers to the door and charges 90 cents for an eight litre bottle.

June xx
Suspect there are not as many users out there Junetta, 250,000 pop. which is small compared to 25 miles radius around Manchester. Sure someone will look it up for me.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 17:55   #26

I was talking to a mate who remembers a time in Accy when people had to actually queue up at the end of their street, so they could have their buckets filled by someone in authority?! from the water pipe. Families where only allowed a certain number of buckets. This is going back 30 or so years and was due to a very hot summer, any1 remember this?
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:35   #27
God Member

Summer of 76 would be about right and I can just remember it. The year African weather came to GB.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 18:40   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Summer of 76 would be about right and I can just remember it. The year African weather came to GB.

Yes, as expressed in my post #8 ...absolutely brilliant .. don't remember queuing up for water though. Just a polite reminder from the water boards not to flush yer loo too often, turn off the tap when brushing teeth and let the flowers wilt.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 18:48   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Yes, as expressed in my post #8 ...absolutely brilliant .. don't remember queuing up for water though. Just a polite reminder from the water boards not to flush yer loo too often, turn off the tap when brushing teeth and let the flowers wilt.

Had to fry the grey matter to remember it.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 22:34   #30
God Member

snitch on your neighbours your a grass
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..