Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008, 12:46   #1
Senior Member+

Snobby shop assistants.....

Been to a few 'nice' shops today to buy bits for our wedding, shoes,rings etc (important bits) and i walked out of a few of the shops before having a proper browse because some of the owners were REALLY snobby towards me.....i was smartly dressed and spoke in my lovely Kentish accent so it wasn't even anything to do with the way i looked (not that it should make a difference but it does).....they just were not interested.
One woman looked at me once, spoke to me as if she didn't really have the time of day for me, then carried on talking whilst she was filling something in, making eye contact only once during a 3 minute conversation......another one trailed off what she was saying after i told her we were on a very tight budget, i meant compared to others......i actually had £500 in my pocket
Whats happened to common courtesy and manners?

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-07-2008, 12:54   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: Snobby shop assistants.....

Can't be doing with snotty shop assistants who think they are a cut above the rest of us. With the prices that some of the wedding shops charge, you should have been pulling those assistants from up your jacksy.

I find that it is usually helpful to remind them (politely) that they are a shop assistant, are there to serve you and that there are plenty of other places to go to where the staff are not as rude. That always gets their attention..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 13:06   #3
God Member

They work in a shop what have they got to be snobby about. Good on you Misskitty your money will spend anywhere, their loss is somebody elses gain.
Old 12-07-2008, 13:07   #4
Resting in Peace

There's one think that I always think MissK and that's my bass sends anywhere, lettie's right good mouthful gets their attention, then when you have their attention take some of their time up then tell um to get stood on (or words to that effect) and walk out telling any other shopper in ear shot what and why your doing it that'll teach the snobby gits
Old 12-07-2008, 13:23   #5
Senior Member+

With the latest problems RE the credit crunch i would have thought they would be looking to sell as much as they can at the moment....as for telling any other shoppers about their rudeness-i couldn't....i was always the only one in the shop.
I wish they knew how much money they would have made if they had of been helpful and friendly.....maybe they would be nicer in the future if they did know.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....

mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 14:26   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

There is of course the opposite side, the snobby customer, 'My hairdresser', as if the hairdresser is exclusive to them, or the person that because they can't even press the on/off switch on a 13 amp socket never mind change a fuse, and even if you're six foot eight they always refer to the artisan as their 'little man', (as in "Oh yes I used to find it difficult but these days my little man pop's around and sorts it for me), good grief! he can do the job you can't why does that make these people feel superior?

All hail, the customer or shopkeeper that knows everyone has to perform a service for everyone else, or the world will stop.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 14:41   #7
God Member

shoulda farted on your way out , that woulda give them somthing to turn their noses up at

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 15:33   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
shoulda farted on your way out , that woulda give them somthing to turn their noses up at
The trouble with farts is that they are like coppers; never one around when you need one Maybe if enough cash walks out of their store, the store will go broke and the snotty bitches will be flipping burgers for Rotten Ronnie
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 15:46   #9
Beacon of light

Your money is as good as anyone elses...take it where they value your custom.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 15:47   #10
Loz

I've always been put off going in places like that because it makes me feel really uncomfotable.
Its like they look at you,immediately form an opinion of you and decide there is no way you could afford to shop there.
So i don't and take my money elsewhere where it is appreciated!
Old 12-07-2008, 15:55   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The trouble with farts is that they are like coppers; never one around when you need one Maybe if enough cash walks out of their store, the store will go broke and the snotty bitches will be flipping burgers for Rotten Ronnie
When I go shopping I try and avoid Shop Assistants and Police
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 16:02   #12
Resident Waffler

Shop assistants need to remember that if it weren't for customers they wouldn't have a job.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 16:05   #13
God Member

It is commong to stereotype people, and if you are in retail it is not an appropriate strategy ... a buddy of mine in Saskatchewan farmed about 20 sections of good wheat land west of Saskatoon ... he had just pulled in a great harvest, about 45 bushells to the acre ... he decided to buy two new combines (you can depreciate farm equipment over 15 years and save a bunch on tax) which at the time ran about $120, 000 a pop ... because he was dressed in his farm clothes and smelled a bit like his feed lot no one at the Allis-Chalmers dealer wanted to pay too much attention ... so he took his quarter million bucks over to the John Deere dealership, where they realized that farmers sometimes don't wear suits, and often smell . Apart from any other factor, stereotyping potential customers is not good business practice.

Last edited by Mick; 13-07-2008 at 05:41.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 17:31   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Which shop was this miss kitty?

Id love to go in and see what the trollop does
Old 12-07-2008, 17:41   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Shop assistants need to remember that if it weren't for customers they wouldn't have a job.
Good point that and those that dont know the answer to, or cant be bothered to help when you have a problem. The cant be bothered part ties in with what eric was saying in a small way in that not only was it a case of snobbery and stereo typing but maybe a bit of "oh dear here comes a troublesome customer."

I was in Waterstones today and the assistant I approached and said politely he was busy but would attend to me when he was finished. I got the books I wanted and had a little natter and walked out feeling good. That to me is how it should be ie no stress agro or assumption when shopping wether for a book or a vehicle.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..