Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2018, 14:57   #31

Re: Snowball fights, health, safety and compensation

Thanks for your comments everyone. I would just like to say having spent so much time away its good to hear people to talk about places I remember and use phrases I don't here anywhere else. Trolleys. The trick was a good set of pram wheels. Where I live now they call them boggies which in red rose country is something that come out of your nose.
Ryewolf do you remember Doc Harbinson on Lonsdale Street. He was our family GP in the days when GPs knew your family and had real time to talk to their patients.
Old 03-03-2018, 19:40   #32
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Joe View Post
Trolleys. The trick was a good set of pram wheels.
We always called them Trolleys, though a friend who lived in Great Harwood did call them Bogies, as you say a bogey came out your nose...

I don't remember a Doc Harbinson on Lonsdale Street and if I remember correctly our doctor was up near Church (The Commercial Pub) near Alleytroyds when that junction of Blackburn Road used to be terraced houses and there was a lodge between Lodge View and Alleytroyds
Old 03-03-2018, 21:10   #33
Beacon of light

I remember Dr Harbinson...but only vaguely.
Our Doctor was Doctors Chesney, I can't remember the husband's name but his wife was Doctor Grace Chesney.
He used to do his home visits on horseback.
I can remember him visiting my Ma after the birth of one of the boys(a home birth) and he tied his horse to the lamp post.
When they retired the practice was taken over by Dr Fenton.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:33   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
We always called them Trolleys, though a friend who lived in Great Harwood did call them Bogies, as you say a bogey came out your nose...

I don't remember a Doc Harbinson on Lonsdale Street and if I remember correctly our doctor was up near Church (The Commercial Pub) near Alleytroyds when that junction of Blackburn Road used to be terraced houses and there was a lodge between Lodge View and Alleytroyds
Dr Harbinson's surgery was on the corner of Newark St-Blackburn Rd.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:47   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I remember Dr Harbinson...but only vaguely.
Our Doctor was Doctors Chesney, I can't remember the husband's name but his wife was Doctor Grace Chesney.
He used to do his home visits on horseback.
I can remember him visiting my Ma after the birth of one of the boys(a home birth) and he tied his horse to the lamp post.
When they retired the practice was taken over by Dr Fenton.
Margaret, am I right in saying that Dr Grace Chesney was killed in a horse riding accident?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:30   #36

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1209493]
Quote:
I do not remember any day in my school life when the school closed because of the weather

there is a school near to me called foxhill junior schoo which must be one of the highest schools in west yorkshire. its well above queensbury which is between halifax and bradford. it has something in common with the windmill theatre. the headmistress there prides herself in the fact that it never closes.
My younger son used to be a peripatetic music teacher in Bradford. A few years ago he had a real struggle to get to Foxhill with no end of roads closed by snow. He expected to get some praise for getting through but the Head told him off and complained to the office that he was late.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyborn View Post
Margaret, am I right in saying that Dr Grace Chesney was killed in a horse riding accident?
It was Dr. Grace Chesney's Husband (like Margaret forgot his first name, maybe it will come back to me sometime soon) who was killed by a riding accident. Dr. Grace Chesney still ran the surgery with Dr. Fenton untill 1963, after that I don't really know.
Accyborn likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
It was Dr. Grace Chesney's Husband (like Margaret forgot his first name, maybe it will come back to me sometime soon) who was killed by a riding accident. Dr. Grace Chesney still ran the surgery with Dr. Fenton untill 1963, after that I don't really know.
Thanks for that, I can vaguely remember something about it.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40   #39
Beacon of light

After Doctor Fenton, the practice was taken over by husband and wife GP's
Drs Karim....well that is my recollection, but if someone else remembers it differently.
I thought that Dr Fenton went on longer than 1963... but again I am happy to be corrected.

I had moved to Clayton In 1966 and I have to say that after being looked after by Dr Fenton and Doctors Chesney, the new GP's were not(in my opinion) very good.
And it was Doctor Grace's husband who was killed in a horse riding accident.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05   #40

I will have to google map Dr Harbies place. I genuinely thought it was Lonsdale Street but having been away so long I will bow to superior local knowledge. Last time I went back we drove along Blackburn Road into Accy. Couldn't believe how much it had all changed especially around the site of the old boys grammer school and sacred heart church. But that's progress. I truly believe though we grew up at a great time. As I said before childhood was healthy innocent and fun. There is a lot of pressure put on young kids now to conform and if the don't well they get cyber bullied.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:56   #41
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1209584 I truly believe though we grew up at a great time. As I said before childhood was healthy innocent and fun. There is a lot of pressure put on young kids now to conform and if the don't well they get cyber bullied.[/QUOTE]

totally agree joe. those who were kids after the 2nd world war have never had it so good. pre war poverty and mass unemployment for your old man was over. rationing did exist but kids never noticed even if your mam did, but there was always a good meal on the table. you could basically play anywhere and old bomb sites provided us with hide and seek as well as cut knees but none lads or lasses bothered. my parents use to moan about the freedom we had up to their generation. was probably correct but we had much more than the present one with all the fears correct or not including in modern parenting.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 20:25   #42

there was an article on the news a few months ago about the post war births and how we benefited from parents who bought their own homes and how we benefited from good employment and pension schemes. I'm not a sociologist but I wouldn't argue with that.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-03-2018, 20:55   #43
Beacon of light

I think many miss the point that while we did buy our own homes, we did not get them given to us....that wages were low, mortgage rates were high and to be able to afford our own homes we made sacrifices.

We made do with second hand furniture, carpets, (not wall to wall carpets, more like big rugs)nothing matched.(this was certainly so in my case). We bought stuff at Jumble sales, took stuff from family and friends.

We did not have holidays abroad....we did not have many nights out.
I can remember during the early years of my marriage having to choose between a newish wardrobe and a weeks holiday in a guest house in Southport...the wardrobe won.

I can also remember having too much week at the end of the money....making clothes for my daughter from my own dresses...cut up and hand sewn.
I can remember paying our electric bill with money that was sent to me for my 21st birthday present.
So anyone who thinks we had it easy, can have another think.

It was 1980 before I got to see foreign shores....I was thirty three years old and had worked from being 15 with just a year off when I had my daughter.
I had studied and qualified as a registered nurse...this also meant making sacrifices.

Today, it appears that those young folk who think we had it made want nights out, mobile phones which cost nearly as much as my house, foreign holidays....they don't save, they don't see the point.

We did this so that we could secure a roof over our heads
cashman, Rowlf, hilleluk and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-03-2018 at 21:01.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:45   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats it in a nutshell Sacrifices had to be made, i think many these days don't know the meaning of the word, they want everything NOW.
hilleluk likes this.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:06   #45
God Member

Quote:
I think many miss the point that while we did buy our own homes, we did not get them given to us....that wages were low, mortgage rates were high and to be able to afford our own homes we made sacrifices.

...they don't save, they don't see the point.

only time our parents saved was to buy something. same with me as i have never been one to get excited about looking at my bank balance.

Last edited by Neil; 10-03-2018 at 13:09. Reason: fix quote
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..