Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2018, 09:09   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Snowball fights, health, safety and compensation

Me neither, but I never did rely on credit...so anything that you wanted(that included the deposit for a house) had to be saved for.
I am still very suspicious of credit...and do not use it at all.
Prefer to pay my way...if i can't pay, then I don't go.
It the safest way to ensure that you do not get into financial difficulties...it is a useful lesson to learn...you cannot have what you cannot afford.
Jim Procter and Rowlf like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2018, 09:14   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

When i first got wed, we did buy many second hand items, no way could we afford NEW,Though we did get 1 thing on H.P.- a gas cooker, we could not find a decent second hand one, and late wife was a bit wary over summat gas that didn't look right,
Old 05-03-2018, 17:11   #48

When I first passed my driving test in 1977 my first car was a 1968 Austin 1300 which I bought for 80 quid. I was so pleased with it even though it was way past its best before date, these days as young people pass their test they often seem to want a brand new car straight away. I got my first brand new car in 2006. I wonder if we appreciated things a lot more then?
Mark
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 17:40   #49
Beacon of light

I think you do value the things that you have had to work hard and save for.
Having to save teaches you the value of money.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 19:25   #50
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Having to save teaches you the value of money.
It seems some folk "Know the price of everything, but the cost of nothing", so the thought of living within your means is seen as a rather strange prospect & then they wonder why they can't make ends meet & the bailiffs & repo men are banging at their door.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:54   #51
God Member

[QUOTE=Mark2009;1209664]When I first passed my driving test in 1977 my first car was a 1968 Austin 1300 which I bought for 80 quid. I was so pleased with it even though it was way past its best before date, these days as young people pass their test they often seem to want a brand new car straight away. I

passed my test in 1966. first car was a ford anglia 100e. cost me 25 quid which i saved up for. saved up again for 12 months and got a pre war lagonda my pride and joy for 4 years. looking at the new drivers around me its all new cars for em and will still be paying for em well after the time they get bored. live now pay later is the motto.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 14:33   #52

Passed my test in 77. I already had a car which I didn't drive mmmmm! You never forget your first car. In my case it was a Gold Vauxhall Viva 4 door 1300 complete with bald tyres and an appearance best described as a series of holes held together with small amounts of bodywork. It was so old it was mentioned in the bible along with Moses motorcycle.
"And the roar of Moses Triumph was heard throughout the land".
Old 07-03-2018, 07:54   #53
God Member

[QUOTE=Big Joe;1209703 You never forget your first car. In my case it was a Gold Vauxhall Viva 4 door 1300 complete with bald tyres and an appearance best described as a series of holes held together with small amounts of bodywork.

good old days joe. you got quite good in the use of body filler and spray cans back in those days. you thought you,d done a good job until it rained and the rust came back again.
Old 07-03-2018, 14:38   #54

Body filler!!! I should have bought shares in companies that made it. I would have been laughing all the way to the bank now.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:43   #55
God Member

i can still smell it joe and see the little pink hardener coming out of the little tube. want to be buried with a packet as they might have 60,s fords and vauxhalls in any after life.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:47   #56

Ah yes the hardner. Too much and it went off before you got it on or didnt set for a week. Lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..