Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2013, 08:01   #76
Common Sense Member

Re: someone best mention it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Ken, are you getting a little obsessive, we don't see you on site very often so perhaps you have forgotten, we have more than one thread, why not take a look around you might find another thread to whet your appetite beside just posting in this one.
Bit of thread wander Less, my apologies. Just replying to questions levelled at me.

It's what I'm supposed to do as an elected representative, isn't it?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2013, 08:48   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
There'll be some excuse why it can't happen once Cameron is back in Number 10 without the Lib Dems in tow.
Have Labour given up already ?
Old 28-01-2013, 08:53   #78
God Member

i forgetthe figure but just one term as a MP carrys quite a large pension until the day they die that isnt to be sniffed at and wouldnt leave them starving or coppering up from the whiskey jar to get a bag of chips

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:07   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Just one attributable quote in that whole fantastical story, and even that is taken out of context. I'm always wary of phrases such as 'substantial numbers' and anonymous quotes from 'sources' which is why I don't bother with the national newspapers.

For a more balanced and factual report try the BBC:

BBC News - Pay freeze for MPs to continue until 2013
Um I know I was in dock for 9 weeks last back end but is it 2012 or 2013 and time for a bumper MPs pay rise
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:13   #80
Beacon of light

Accyman, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to post something along the same lines in response to Kens post, but now there is no need.
Even Ex MP's don't seem so impoverished and they have the advantage of having(during their political career) of meeting lots of people who they can tap up for a return of favours(and, please don't tell me that it doesn't happen - the tapping up, and the giving of favours - because I don't buy it).

I'm not getting at you Ken...and I have to say that your position is far different from that of our elected representative.
I wish I could say that he would get my vote too, but I am still hacked off by the EU thing(please don't go there).

I know that a general election is a good while off, but I cannot think of any current political party that deserves my vote.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:31   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Accyman, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to post something along the same lines in response to Kens post, but now there is no need.
Even Ex MP's don't seem so impoverished and they have the advantage of having(during their political career) of meeting lots of people who they can tap up for a return of favours(and, please don't tell me that it doesn't happen - the tapping up, and the giving of favours - because I don't buy it).

I'm not getting at you Ken...and I have to say that your position is far different from that of our elected representative.
I wish I could say that he would get my vote too, but I am still hacked off by the EU thing(please don't go there).

I know that a general election is a good while off, but I cannot think of any current political party that deserves my vote.
me neither Margaret, but it could just be wistful thinking in my case
Old 28-01-2013, 16:20   #82
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

if i am correct graham also has a job on the lancashire county council so it cant be that hard representing us if he can do that job as well

both jobs are full time jobs its amazing he ever sleeps

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-01-2013 at 16:22.
Old 28-01-2013, 17:21   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if i am correct graham also has a job on the lancashire county council so it cant be that hard representing us if he can do that job as well

County isn't a full time job accyman but can be made so if you get a top cabinet post, Whereas being an MP is a full time job, how somebody can actually combine the two though is quite beyond be, but I suppose getting paid twice must be something of a draw card
Old 28-01-2013, 17:22   #84
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

County Council is not a full time job but he isn't standing again this May because he doesn't feel he can do both.

Bernard Dawson is standing for the Labour Party instead in that seat.

Old 29-01-2013, 08:58   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
County Council is not a full time job but he isn't standing again this May because he doesn't feel he can do both.

Bernard Dawson is standing for the Labour Party instead in that seat.
He should have thought that three years ago the greedy grabbing sod
Old 29-01-2013, 10:29   #86
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He should have thought that three years ago the greedy grabbing sod
If he's so greedy then why did he give up his district seat and step aside as Leader of the Labour Group? He could have been Leader of the Council, Burnley's MP has made the decision to have all those roles at once in the past.

Graham wanted to maintain his County role to keep abreast of things but in the end it proved a bigger job than he imagined. At least he is a man who can admit when a decision is not in the best interests of the public and the money thing is a cheap shot, I expected better of you.

Especially with certain ex-mates of yours clutching at straws to justify £43k a year.

Old 29-01-2013, 14:15   #87
Senior Member+

http://stopemploymentwrongs.org/wp-c...tive-880px.jpg

David Cameron has been talking a lot recently about his aim of ‘re-negotiating’ the UK’s relationship with Europe, and ‘repatriating’ regulations that originate with the EU.

The Working Time Directive is a set of work related regulations at the top of many Conservatives’ lists to overturn.

But stepping away from the EU jargon on the issue, this legislation contains a lot of very basic protections at work that people in the UK now take totally for granted – holidays, lunchbreaks, days off and more.

I think a sensible debate on the EU where people can make up their own mind based on their lives is critical. #forgetstraightbananas
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:24   #88
God Member

i have no doubt a tory government would abuse the poor and working class they already are doing but when labour were in charge they did absolutely nothing but sell us down the EU river even more without so much of a hint of ever throwing us a paddle or life belt

seems to me that polititions are at their best when out of power which isnt any good to anyone.

the very second it all began with something as trivial as not selling bananas that were too straight the government should have told the EU in no uncertain terms to sod off and either stop been stupid or we would pull out.What happened was that teh government took the EU crap by the bucket load up until the point where our courts got over ruled and we are forced to keep terrorists safe and warm.

if anyone thinks cameron will keep his word over the EU or thinks he is any way doing it for the good of the british public then they need tehir head seeing too but labour for example have in no way said what they are preppared to do and most importantly keep their word
jaysay and Alan Varrechia like this.

Last edited by accyman; 29-01-2013 at 14:27.
Old 29-01-2013, 14:39   #89
Beacon of light

Words, words, words and more weasel words from all sides.
No actions........I am fed up of reading about what politicians are going to do.
My faith in these words is positively subterranean....and why might this be do you think?
Because it is no good any party telling us what they are going to do and then not following this with decisive action.
Tony Blair was going to tackle crime...by tackling the causes of crime....did it happen? NO...of course it didn't.
David Cameron is going to give us an opportunity to decide our future in the EU.....but wiat for it....not until after the NEXT election....and then only if the tories get back into power....by which time there will be countless Romanians and Bulgarians....who no doubt will have a say in whether we stay in or not.......so I think this chance of a referendum is a MYTH........it is a cynical ploy to entice people to vote for DC.
I'm not buying it
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:48   #90
God Member

if we hold a referendum the only people who should get a vote are those born here

whats the point in holding a vote where people who have just arrived to teh country can influence the outcome

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..