Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2013, 15:16   #91
Super Moderator

Re: someone best mention it

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if we hold a referendum the only people who should get a vote are those born here

whats the point in holding a vote where people who have just arrived to teh country can influence the outcome
So, you're telling me my missus wouldn't get a vote? Despite the fact she's lived here 27 years, paid her full whack of tax and national insurance while workng for the NHS? But some British-born chav who's never done a day's work in his life will get a vote?

Utter crap.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:21   #92
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So, you're telling me my missus wouldn't get a vote? Despite the fact she's lived here 27 years, paid her full whack of tax and national insurance while workng for the NHS? But some British-born chav who's never done a day's work in his life will get a vote?

Utter crap.
fair point but something should be done to prevent someone whos just used the eu system and dropped from the underneath of a truck from having a say and in fairness i did say people who have just arrived to the country but i see your point on the born here part.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-01-2013 at 15:25.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:26   #93

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

David Cameron has been talking a lot recently about his aim of ‘re-negotiating’ the UK’s relationship with Europe, and ‘repatriating’ regulations that originate with the EU.

The Working Time Directive is a set of work related regulations at the top of many Conservatives’ lists to overturn.

But stepping away from the EU jargon on the issue, this legislation contains a lot of very basic protections at work that people in the UK now take totally for granted – holidays, lunchbreaks, days off and more.

I think a sensible debate on the EU where people can make up their own mind based on their lives is critical. #forgetstraightbananas
And what pray tell is to stop us from creating our own laws on working time...is the British Government too stupid to create it's own set of fair and unbiased employee/employer laws without guidance from Eurocrats? #forumsdontneedhashtags
Old 29-01-2013, 15:28   #94
Super Moderator

Quote:
fair point but something should be done to prevent someone whos just used the eu system and dropped from the underneath of a truck from having a say and in fairness i did say people who have just arrived to the country but i see your point on the born here part
Only British citizens are able to vote in general elections, so surely that would apply to any referendum? Certainly, illegals can't vote and I'm pretty sure those from other EU countries can't either.
Old 29-01-2013, 15:29   #95
God Member

Quote:
Only British citizens are able to vote in general elections, so surely that would apply to any referendum? Certainly, illegals can't vote and I'm pretty sure those from other EU countries can't either.
in all honesty i dont know what rights they do and do not have.After all prisoners now get a vote so god knows whats ok and not ok these days

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:38   #96
Super Moderator

Quote:
in all honesty i dont know what rights they do and do not have.After all prisoners now get a vote so god knows whats ok and not ok these days
Don't think prisoners have actually got the vote yet, although the meddlers of the ECHR are pushing for it. Definitely sure that only British citizens can vote in general elections though, so the same would apply to referendums I would have thought.
Old 29-01-2013, 17:30   #97
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If he's so greedy then why did he give up his district seat and step aside as Leader of the Labour Group? He could have been Leader of the Council, Burnley MP has made the decision to have all those roles at once in the past.

Graham wanted to maintain his County role to keep abreast of things but in the end it proved a bigger job than he imagined. At least he is a man who can admit when a decision is not in the best interests of the public and the money thing is a cheap shot, I expected better of you.

Especially with certain ex-mates of yours clutching at straws to justify £43k a year.
It taken him three years to find that out, and as for a cheap shot it's money the council tax payer have had ripped out of their pockets he's been trousering twice for those three years, if it were Britcliffe you would be jumping through hoops to tells use what a thieving swine he was, and from what I hear Jones is still the figure head behind the scenes at HBC if he says jump the rest of you say how high master.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 17:33   #98
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They can't Wyn your right, well I'm saying that but it certainly was the case when I was actively involved, but Europe has done lots of silly things since those days
Old 29-01-2013, 17:39   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
So, you're telling me my missus wouldn't get a vote? Despite the fact she's lived here 27 years, paid her full whack of tax and national insurance while working for the NHS? But some British-born hiv who's never done a day's work in his life will get a vote?

Utter crap.
I think in your good ladies case Wyn she would qualify after being residential for a certain number of years and quite rightly so, but the ones using European law to come over here shouldn't get a anywhere near a ballot box
Old 29-01-2013, 17:41   #100
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
And what pray tell is to stop us from creating our own laws on working time...is the British Government too stupid to create it's own set of fair and unbiased employee/employer laws without guidance from Eurocrats? #forumsdontneedhashtags
He won't answer that Guinness because he'll need to ask Mr Ed first
Old 29-01-2013, 18:19   #101
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
And just how many "New" British citizens were born outside of the UK ?

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk...pts-and-trends

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 29-01-2013 at 18:26.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 20:02   #102
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It taken him three years to find that out, and as for a cheap shot it's money the council tax payer have had ripped out of their pockets he's been trousering twice for those three years, if it were Britcliffe you would be jumping through hoops to tells use what a thieving swine he was, and from what I hear Jones is still the figure head behind the scenes at HBC if he says jump the rest of you say how high master.
From what I hear.....sources say.....I heard that....

Nothing attributable as usual.

Why not just say you've been talking to an Oswaldtwistle Councillor who hates Graham and have done?

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 20:08   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Think yer way off mark wi that un ken.
Old 29-01-2013, 20:21   #104

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
He won't answer that Guinness because he'll need to ask Mr Ed first
Yeah....he talked of repatriating regulations but only mentioned the working time directives, wonder if he'd feel the same about repatriating regulations on Foie Gras

Pate de Foie Gras: Imports: 28 Jan 2013: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou
Old 29-01-2013, 20:30   #105
God Member

I can imagine that, in parliament, getting goosed is an occupational hazard.
Urban Dictionary: goose

..need to walk sideways with back to wall at all times
Guinness, jaysay and Stevie R like this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..