Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2013, 20:49   #106
Super Moderator

Re: someone best mention it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And just how many "New" British citizens were born outside of the UK ?

Naturalisation as a British Citizen: Concepts and Trends | The Migration Observatory
177,878 in 2011 according to your link, Dave. Don't understand the point you're making...are you saying, if you're a British citizen, but not born here, you shouldn't have the right to vote?
Old 30-01-2013, 08:37   #107
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
From what I hear.....sources say.....I heard that....

Nothing attributable as usual.

Why not just say you've been talking to an Oswaldtwistle Councillor who hates Graham and have done?
Funny enough you've got it wrong as usual, I know a lot more people connected to HBC, who are not elected members, anyway you wouldn't be referring to the same person that Graham Jones hates so much would you
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 08:44   #108
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
177,878 in 2011 according to your link, Dave. Don't understand the point you're making...are you saying, if you're a British citizen, but not born here, you shouldn't have the right to vote?
My take on that is there should be a qualifying period, I always though it was 5 years, but might be wrong, mind you, I think GB is the only country in the world that start doling out social funds the minutes people land on these shores, no wonder everybody wants to come here as they get sod all in the likes of France, Germany etc., as an Asian said the other week when he was interview by a national newspaper, we come to Britain because they're a soft touch
Old 30-01-2013, 12:40   #109
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I suppose the point I'm trying to get across Wynn is that although only British citizens are allowed to vote, there is a large number of migrants who still have ties & connections to their place of origin & whose loyalties may not truly lie in the UK's interest, but they have "British Citizenship".

That being the case, their vote wouldn't necessarily be deemed in the interest of the "host" nation.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:28   #110
God Member

Quote:
I suppose the point I'm trying to get across Wynn is that although only British citizens are allowed to vote, there is a large number of migrants who still have ties & connections to their place of origin & whose loyalties may not truly lie in the UK's interest, but they have "British Citizenship".

That being the case, their vote wouldn't necessarily be deemed in the interest of the "host" nation.
Maybe it's time to start naming tools. Let's, for example, call a spade a spade. If the experience in GB is anything like ours, we are talking mainly of one group, one that shares certain religious beliefs Canadians originally from Italy, China, the Carribbean, Portugal, Korea etc., etc., quickly become Canadians ... oh, and Brits fit in too They still maintain cultural "ties": Chinese New Year is a big celebration, as is Carabana in TO. When the World Cup is on, or the Euros, the Portuguese support Portugal, Italian Canadians ... well, you get the picture. There are a few groups ... Tamils and some extreme Sikhs whose loyalties are "iffy"; but the muslims ... now that's a whole different thing. Not only do they want their constitutionally guaranteed freedoms, they want their own law; they want respect for customs and beliefs which go against the grain of what it means to be a Canadian ... Their "honour killings" come to mind, and a profound unwillingness to recognize over half the population as being fully human. And I believe it was Canadians from this group who were involved in the Algeria hostage taking incident.
cashman and jaysay like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 16:16   #111
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm sure you're right Dave, but it's hardly fair to deprive ordinary, well-intentioned non-British born citizens of their right to vote, because of this. The innocent suffering because of the guilty has become way too prevalent in this country (raising booze prices is just one example) and this, to me, seems yet another example of this syndrome.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:47   #112
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I'm sure you're right Dave, but it's hardly fair to deprive ordinary, well-intentioned non-British born citizens of their right to vote, because of this. The innocent suffering because of the guilty has become way too prevalent in this country (raising booze prices is just one example) and this, to me, seems yet another example of this syndrome.
Didn't intend for the decent amongst them to be deprived, it's just a situation which as you say is ever more prevalent through UK. I think that for votes to count you should have to turn up in person, with undeniable proof of your identity & eligibility, those overseas should attend an embassy / military site or some such to confirm their right.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:07   #113
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe it's time to start naming tools. Let's, for example, call a spade a spade. If the experience in GB is anything like ours, we are talking mainly of one group, one that shares certain religious beliefs Canadians originally from Italy, China, the Caribbean, Portugal, Korea etc., etc., quickly become Canadians ... oh, and Brits fit in too They still maintain cultural "ties": Chinese New Year is a big celebration, as is Caribana in TO. When the World Cup is on, or the Euros, the Portuguese support Portugal, Italian Canadians ... well, you get the picture. There are a few groups ... Tamils and some extreme Sikhs whose loyalties are "iffy"; but the muslims ... now that's a whole different thing. Not only do they want their constitutionally guaranteed freedoms, they want their own law; they want respect for customs and beliefs which go against the grain of what it means to be a Canadian ... Their "honour killings" come to mind, and a profound unwillingness to recognize over half the population as being fully human. And I believe it was Canadians from this group who were involved in the Algeria hostage taking incident.
Well its always been the same with me Eric, you want to live here in my country fine, no problem, but you except our way of life, our laws and regulations, and if your not prepared to do that, close the plane door quietly on the way out of Heathrow, end of story
Old 30-01-2013, 17:15   #114
Super Moderator

Quote:
Didn't intend for the decent amongst them to be deprived, it's just a situation which as you say is ever more prevalent through UK. I think that for votes to count you should have to turn up in person, with undeniable proof of your identity & eligibility, those overseas should attend an embassy / military site or some such to confirm their right.
Would agree with you on that one, but we're now moving onto another subject, postal voting, which has become a farce in my view.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:23   #115
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Would agree with you on that one, but we're now moving onto another subject, postal voting, which has become a farce in my view.
Right with you there Brother.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:55   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It is now Wyn, its just a way for all political parties to, as they say, get their vote out, if your supporters are signed up for a PV you don't have to chase them on polling day, I've had a PV virtually since I was first able to vote, firstly for work purposes then for health reasons, in fact I've just renewed mine this morning, you have, by law, to sign up for it every 5 years. However, there are a lot of problems with PVs for all parties, because the way certain sections of our community think they are entitled to use these votes as they see fit, which is illegal, yet it keeps cropping up

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..