Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2004, 09:30   #1
Senior Member+

South Bank Show, Sunday 2nd May

Hi, anyone watch the above progamme, about leading novelist Jeanette Winterson. She spoke about her strict religious upbringing, her sheltered early years and her appetite for art. It even shown her in Accrington, on top of The Coppice.

Jeanette was born 27th August 1959 in Manchester. She was brought up in Water Street, Accrington and adopted by Constance and John William Winterson, who were strict Christians. By the time she was eight years old she was writing and preaching sermons!

She went to Accrington High School for Girls. At the age of 16 she fell in love with another woman and left home after falling out with her parents.

She had many jobs to begin with, including driving an ice cream van, she was a porter in a phychiatric hospital and preparing corpses in an undertakers parlour. She had only ever heard of two universities - Oxford and Cambridge. She actually went down to Oxford,managed to get an interview and asked outright could she go there! They smiled at her and said, come back in 12 months time when you have passed your 'A' levels! She did! She went to St Catherine's College at Oxford University, obtaining a BA in English in 1981. She then moved to London and worked in publishing. She is known for many works, her main one being "Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit" which she began writing at the age of 23. It was a true but comic account of growing up with a religious background with serious issues re identity, sexuality and relationships. It won a Whitbread First Novel Award in 1985. It was turned into a drama on BBC TV in 1990 and won an award.
Another of our famous people, not always known about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeanette winterson.jpg (3.0 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 03-05-2004 at 13:50.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-05-2004, 09:59   #2
God Member

Re: South Bank Show, Sunday 2nd May

Yes, I saw it. I loved what she said about Accrington being "a town without glamour or excitement." Sadly, all too accurate an observation.

I cannot quite believe this, I have just returned to the computer with a brew in hand and I was thinking much the same thing as your last comment- viz - famous sons and daughters. Where is the Plaque that commemorates Ozzy Clarke? How many times has Sir Harrison Birtwistle been celebrated here. Who knows about the contributions of people like Stainer and why Stainer Street was named after him.

The council it seems does not like it's people to get on and gives them the cold shoulder when they do. I notice that one of the current council fads is to encourage tourism. How about this then, if the council had got their way then Oak Hill House would be no more than a memory. Despite being reminded of it has anyone done anything about the connection between the house and the real Alice that Lewis Carrol wrote about- no! If this were America, Oak Hill Park would now be a National Theme Park, no matter how tenuous the connection. That is the real trouble with the council, and has been for many years, lack of imagination. It must say something when front page news in The Observer is Jean Battle getting a certificate for attending a seminar on how to be a councillor.
Sorry, I seem to be ranting here. I can't help it, Hyndburn Borough Council make my blood boil.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:02   #3
Senior Member+

Hi Acrylic-Bob, I think I will ask Roy if we can have a separate section on Accrington's important people. Perhaps to be directly under Accy Photos in the index. Then that way all the information is in one place. Agree?
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:45   #4
God Member

I think that is an excellent idea, go for it girl!
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 16:01   #5

I knew Jeanette..her mum and dad Jack and connie were realy nice people...they went to elim church nr the old grammer school...there was a photo on the wall of Jeanette on her graduation day but no one ever talked about her..when you asked the older members of the church about her they would always whisper **"shh we dont talk of such things" LOL**...so I never asked again , my how the world has changed since then ..last time I saw her was in the church doing a sermon 1974 she was awsome to listen too..connie died a while back but Jack is still around he got married again...Pheonixx
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..