Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-11-2008, 10:36   #1
Resting in Peace

Speeding clamp down

It seems the Government are looking at banning drivers who are caught speeding twice when they well above the limit. They are also looking at setting drug-driving limits, and are again thinking about lowering the levels for drink driving. These new initiatives are set out in a consultation paper, which is aimed at the most dangerous drivers.

For me I think its a good Idea, anything that gets bad drivers off the road whether its for speeding, driving under the influence of drink or drugs can only be a good thing
Old 20-11-2008, 10:41   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Speeding clamp down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They are also looking at setting drug-driving limits,
What I can't understand is setting limits, if someone is using illegal drugs and driving then surely any amount is illegal, the only drugs for which a limit should be set would be from the doctors or pharmacy.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 10:52   #3
God Member

devils advocate

whats more dangerous

100mph down a deserted motorway at 5am on a clear summer morning with no traffic, a well maintained car/bike and a driver who is paying attention

or

a car being driven at 35mph passed a school some stressed mum in a rush trying to ignore 3 screaming kids whilst on the phone to her therapist.

in the new rules, scenario 1 gets 6 points, scenario 2 gets 3

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 10:58   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I think its a good thing, but the trouble with it with most idiots, whether they are banned or not, ya can bet half of em will still drive like looneys
Old 20-11-2008, 11:12   #5
God Member

you mean like the 3 that were killed at the weekend in Oldham. the driver was banned but did it stop him?

Old 20-11-2008, 12:28   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What I can't understand is setting limits, if someone is using illegal drugs and driving then surely any amount is illegal, the only drugs for which a limit should be set would be from the doctors or pharmacy.
Would think it may well be prescription drugs Less, bit pointless if its illegal drugs because its illegal anyway. I my original post I was just relaying what I'd seen on Ceefax. There again entwisi also has a point but anything that takes constant speed offenders of the road can only be a good thing in my eyes
Old 20-11-2008, 12:47   #7
Resting in Peace

Think this will be in this week's Observer, what amazed me that they had to stop 30/40 offenders within 2 hours and issued 15 tickets. Ok.. wouldn't be for speeding (always busy there) still serious offences though !

Police tell drivers to follow road rules - News - Accrington Observer
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 13:19   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Speeding clamp down

It seems that if anyone is more than 20 mph over the speed limit it will qualify for 6 points as well as any fine.

On the face of it that seems reasonable to have a tariff. But it should go the whole hog and add plus 40 mph or more for 12 points.

Then there is the point that 40 mph is much more dangerous in a 20 mph zone than 90 mph on the motorway. Indeed 30 mph in a 20 mph zone could prove lethal especially in Autumn and when it is wet or misty, not forgetting parked cars.

However you do not get a warning that a speed limit is going to change some distance ahead. You find out as you approach the sign. So it is possible to arrive at a 30 mph limit from a legal 60 mph limit.

By law we are only required to be able to read a car number plate at a distance of some 20 metres. There is nothing in the Highway Code that I can find that states anything about reading road signs so in the absence of such information I should imagine that the number plate reading law would apply to reading road signs.

The question is can a car slow from 60 mph to 30 mph safely within 20 metres?

I think that this is yet another crackpot idea from a Labour government who has lost the plot completely.
Old 20-11-2008, 13:41   #9
God Member

heh, I like your argument Jambutty, 60-30 in 20 meters - possible on a bike, probably in a car if you take reaction times out teh loop. However, reg plates are 3" or so, Speed limit signs are 2 foot or so. I would guess that it could be argued that you should be able to see a sign long before you may be able to read it and act appropriately.

Interestingly I travel down a road that does have warning that its going to drop from 60 -30 with markers at 300, 200 and 100 meters.

Old 20-11-2008, 13:48   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Speeding clamp down

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
heh, I like your argument Jambutty, 60-30 in 20 meters - possible on a bike, probably in a car if you take reaction times out teh loop. However, reg plates are 3" or so, Speed limit signs are 2 foot or so. I would guess that it could be argued that you should be able to see a sign long before you may be able to read it and act appropriately.

Interestingly I travel down a road that does have warning that its going to drop from 60 -30 with markers at 300, 200 and 100 meters.
Ah! Yes! Road markers! If only they were everywhere?

As far as I know there is no legal limit on how far away you have to be to be able to read a road sign. Then again who can see round bends.
Old 20-11-2008, 15:08   #11
God Member

There is of course teh technology now that your car could tell you exactly what the speed is and when it will change. Simple proximity transmitters in the road surface could tell you allsorts from road temperature to speed limits to how busy it is round teh next corner.

My Sat Nav has the speed limit of most roads built in ( It flashes at me if I'm naughty )

Old 20-11-2008, 15:29   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote;My Sat Nav has the speed limit of most roads built in ( It flashes at me if I'm naughty )

My brain has got common sense built in, it tells me when I am in a built up area to slow down.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 15:40   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Would think it may well be prescription drugs Less, bit pointless if its illegal drugs because its illegal anyway. I my original post I was just relaying what I'd seen on Ceefax. There again entwisi also has a point but anything that takes constant speed offenders of the road can only be a good thing in my eyes
Nope on the radio they were talking about trying to guage for dope and cocaine.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 16:02   #14
God Member

I didn't say anything about being naughty in Built up areas , In fact as a biker I probably slow down more where common sense tells me to than most car drivers.

It bugs me that I often come up behind cars doing 40mph down national speed limit country roads who continue at 40 right past the school just inside teh urban area.

Old 20-11-2008, 16:12   #15
Resting in Peace

I just cruise along,never in a rush.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..