Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2015, 10:30   #16

Re: "Stealing" Electricity

The maxim "de minimis non curat lex" (the law does not concern itself with trifles) ought to apply in a case such as this.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2015, 10:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Cost to the taxpayer= (Estimated) £500
Cost of 'abstracted' (not stolen) electricity = (Estimated) 1p
It's still stealing - it's part of the theft act. Your argument suggests I can go into Tesco and take a sweet from the pick & mix without fear of repercussions.

He was arrested for refusing to remove his charger from someone else's power socket. The bulk of the cost to the taxpayer was because he was re-arrested for being belligerent. Personally, I think he got what he deserved.

It's common decency to ask for permission to use someone else's facilities if they aren't provided for the public (the plug socket is probably only there so the cleaners can bring their hoovers around). If I'd have been the conductor, I would have refused because I've seen enough stories of cheap knock-off chargers bursting into flames that I would not accept the risk. There is a reason you can see electrical goods in many businesses with safety inspection stickers on their power plugs and the device itself. I'm not going to risk my job for someone who can't be bothered to get up a half hour earlier so they can charge their phone enough to last the duration of their commute.

If I were the sort of person who talked so much that my battery drained at inopportune moments, I'd make sure to carry a spare battery.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 10:46   #18
Senior Member+

I know that some intercity trains have power points for commuters to plug their laptops in. There is also WiFi provided free to ticket holders.
If those sockets were solely for the use of cleaners I would think there would be a master switch somewhere to isolate them.
I haven't read the story of the man who was arrested so I won't comment but it does sound, from posts on here, he was being a "plonker".
Old 15-07-2015, 11:30   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I know that some intercity trains have power points for commuters to plug their laptops in. There is also WiFi provided free to ticket holders.
If those sockets were solely for the use of cleaners I would think there would be a master switch somewhere to isolate them.
I haven't read the story of the man who was arrested so I won't comment but it does sound, from posts on here, he was being a "plonker".
All this begs the question what the ell are those sockets for in the first place.
When the carriages are in the sidings out of use, how can the cleaners use them.
wheres the power supply coming from to those sockets.
If Sockets are provided for cleaners then some external source must be connected , then why are the outlets any where near passenger seats.
Somat smells.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 13:53   #20
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
All this begs the question what the ell are those sockets for in the first place.
When the carriages are in the sidings out of use, how can the cleaners use them.
wheres the power supply coming from to those sockets.
If Sockets are provided for cleaners then some external source must be connected , then why are the outlets any where near passenger seats.
Somat smells.
The electricity is generated by the train as it moves...according to a bloke on the radio, yesterday.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 14:08   #21

It's the thin edge of the wedge. This all smacks of Worzel Gummidge and his electrickery.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 14:09   #22

Many trains have sockets on them so that you can use them, virgin trains with the tables on etc.

So if the public are allowed to use those how are they supposed to know that they should not use this particular socket - did it have a "do not use" sticker on - doubt it.

Someone should be kicking the cops backsides for being petty.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 16:38   #23
God Member

how do they prove the theft occurred unless someone checked his power level before and after he exited the train

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 20:06   #24
Beacon of light

With what is charged in fares for some of those commuters it should be acceptable for commuters to be able to charge their phones free of charge.
Some fares cost thousands of pounds.....I think some of those travellers must feel as if they have bought the train....never mind a pen north of electric.
Restless likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:59   #25
Mog

The PCSO was wrong. On all trains either above ground or below ground in and around the London area are manned by two people. A driver and. In old terms a Guard. Now called The Train Manager. The train Manager is in total control of all activities on board his or her train. Did the Train Manager complain to the PCSO regarding the theft of the electricity. This isn't stated anywhere in the article. The PCSO should have contacted The Train Manager to see if permission was given to the passenger. If the PCSO did not contact the manager. and if there was no complaint from the train operating company. Then the passenger has done nothing wrong.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..