Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2018, 20:06   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Sugar tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Lets put it bluntly! Its all about "Couldn't careless Parents" in my book.
That is spot on.
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-08-2018, 20:11   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Glad some people agree, these parents are also past masters at "Passing The Buck"
Less and hilleluk like this.
Old 02-08-2018, 20:50   #48
Beacon of light

It seems to me that it is always someone else's fault.
What the heck is wrong with telling your children 'NO' now and again.
Giving in to 'pester power' is always the wrong thing to do.
Old 02-08-2018, 21:13   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It seems to me that it is always someone else's fault.
What the heck is wrong with telling your children 'NO' now and again.
Giving in to 'pester power' is always the wrong thing to do.
Summed up very well.a department i am lacking in, i tend to go straight fer the jugular.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:03   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The only thing which will have any effect on Childhood(or any other types of obesity) is to get back to cooking good wholesome food. Stopping children from glugging down fizzy drinks at every opportunity(even the low sugar and no sugar versions are bad).
Parents taking responsibility for what goes into their children's bellies.
Making sure that children get active is also a factor.
Food is only unhealthy if you over indulge.
funny how most of us who were kids during the time of food rationing did not have the problems todays kids have. most of us went through the puppy fat stage also.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:07   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Glad some people agree, these parents are also past masters at "Passing The Buck"
too lazy and easier to give in to the kids. mind you plenty of parents aint good role models for kids either.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:23   #52

Regarding parents and parenting – who’s in charge these days? What has happened to parental control? Spot on, Margaret, they should learn to use that word ‘no’ and mean it.

We all know that some companies target young ones with appealing marketing tools such as cartoon characters to sell their less-than-healthy food, after all they will do what they can to sell their goods, that’s what their business is – but it doesn’t mean you have to buy.

It’s the same with other things. There are parents who complain about how much time their children spend on phones, computers, and the like. Who pays for these? The parents! Solution to this is take the gadgets away from the children when they are using them too much. Take control. Spend some time with them. Go outside with them. Don’t continually blame society for what is a parent’s responsibility. Or is that the easy way out….

…and for ‘goodness’ sake (literally) give the family some good wholesome (and, dare I say it, home-cooked) food.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:55   #53
Beacon of light

I hate to see children in prams munching on a pasty, or a sausage roll.
What is wrong with feeding your child a breakfast of weetabix or porridge....or if they must have something to eat while they are out, what is wrong with an apple or a banana?
Children will eat what parents provide(if they don't then let them go hungry, they will not allow themselves to starve)...if you start off with them young, they WILL eat fruit and veggies.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:25   #54
God Member

[QUOTE=dotti34;1215476]Regarding parents and parenting – who’s in charge these days? What has happened to parental control? Spot on, Margaret, they should learn to use that word ‘no’ and mean it.

It’s the same with other things. There are parents who complain about how much time their children spend on phones, computers, and the like. Who pays for these? The parents! Solution to this is take the gadgets away from the children when they are using them too much. Take control.

this has been going on for years though dotti. with all this techy stuff coming out its just made it harder for parents. when no means its a start to a discussion when they are at school its not easy for parents to discipline their kids when they get home. too much wishy washy thinking at schools for me is as much of a problem as lazy parents. the only thing i was limited doing was playing out time when it was dark but its harder for em now.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:43   #55

It can be the other way round as well, monkey hanger. Some parents do take the easy way out by letting their children rule the roost at home, always giving in to them, with the outcome they then think they can do the same at school.

Teachers’ authority has been eroded over the years with the result that they are very restricted in what they can and can’t do….and students are well aware of this.

Schools are expected to incorporate more and more subjects and so-called experts are often the ones who dictate how these should be taught. I guess what might seem a wishy-washy way of doing so to us is what modern-day thinking (especially of these so-called experts) deems to be the right way.

Boy, how times have changed since I was a schoolgirl (and not always for the better!).

However, at the end of the day it’s still the parents who should be in control.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:15   #56
God Member

[QUOTE=dotti34;1215631

Teachers’ authority has been eroded over the years with the result that they are very restricted in what they can and can’t do….and students are well aware of this.

students, thats another one. at school you used to be a pupil so why are they students nowadays. still think the problem started at school with the lack of discipline which then spilled over when they got home. add lazy parents to this and then problems really arise.
Old 06-08-2018, 15:29   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

'Student' is just another wibble word, kids are still educated to the minimum standard at a price the Government can get away with, unlike 'pupil' it was only used for those that went onto higher education, now instead of throwing money at it to improve the situation, just change the name & make it seem like things have improved.
monkey hanger likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:39   #58

With respect, monkey hanger, we will have to agree to disagree on this point. I think it’s a bit of a cop-out for parents to blame school, social media, and everyone else, for the fact that their child is lacking discipline. This, along with respect, should start in the home and continue there and elsewhere.

Still we all have a right to our own way of thinking, and I do respect yours.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:49   #59
God Member

yes dotti i think we,ll have to call a truce. just one final thing on the subject and its something i have heard for years from different people is that he or she were fine till they got to school. could be the mixing with other kids i imagine. like getting a second dog into your house. they only pick up the bad habits from each other never the good.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:35   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

As far as i'm concerned parents have a moral obligation to instill "Respect @ Good Manners" into their kids, that should continue at school, these days many parents are too bone idle to do so, also too busy beggaring about with their mobiles, so they dont even instill road safety either,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..