Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2008, 23:23   #46

Re: Support For Migrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Instead of looking at what is spent on the immigrants (400,000, woohoo), look at what the real expenses of the area are!
In general terms, everyone knows that there is too much cash splashed out on our own shirkers, whichever area of the UK you live in..

Unfortunately these people crop up in every community/society irrespective of race.

The current influx of “immigrants”( not sure if that word directly applies, they aren’t immigrating by definition , there is no permanency about their stay in this country) are here to get what they can, whilst they can.

Jobwise, there is nowt in Accy, yet our European friends continue to come seeking work where there is none and while they are out of work, who supports them ?

£400,000 is mere pennies when talking about government , even local government budgets these days I know…it’s pennies we don’t have in Accy tho.
Old 22-06-2008, 23:45   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
In my experience many of our workers, request to work Sunday, particularly those with family responsibilities like to work on Sundays as this is the only day of the week when they do not have to pay for expensive childcare.

Sorry to disagree with you on this , but I think your answer is a crock , and spoken like a true Tory taskmaster of old , granted some people have to work over a 7 day spread, police , fire etc.
The only reason 7 day trading is happpening is pure misguided greed on behalf of the giant retail chains who think they will make more profit , simple answer is they dont , the amount of money a person has available for spending is the same wether its over a six day or seven day trading week . In order for the local supermarket to make money by trading 7 days is to put the prices up to cover the cost of openeng up the business , paying staff , heat, light etc.
And no way can I agree with your statement that some parents actually like working on Sundays because it saves them money , I'm sure any responsible parent given the option would want to spend quality family time together as a unit .

Last edited by steeljack; 22-06-2008 at 23:47. Reason: spelling error
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 00:33   #48
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I'm sure any responsible parent given the option would want to spend quality family time together as a unit .
I like working sundays. By working weekends it gives me time off during the week to look after my children when needed.
Old 23-06-2008, 07:21   #49
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I don't know Roy but I suspect ......................... he certainly wouldn't expect them to find him an interpretor if he was having trouble with the language.
I think that's one of the main complaints about the British approach to immigrants these days, the fact that we don't expect them to learn English. We are expected to learn their languages or provide interpreters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post

Jobwise, there is nowt in Accy, yet our European friends continue to come seeking work where there is none and while they are out of work, who supports them ?
So how come there are Poles working in shops and banks? Those jobs must have been vacant.

Quote:
the amount of money a person has available for spending is the same wether its over a six day or seven day trading week .
Although I agree with the basic statement there is another point worth considering. Supposing you are employed and work a six day week. When are you going to do your shopping? You could do it in the evenings but you may be tired and just longing to get home and put your feet up. Then one shop opens on a Sunday and you think "Brilliant! I'll do my shopping there on my day off." Multiply that by the number of people who feel the same and you get one shop with increased custom because they are available when people want them. Are the other shops going to sit back and ignore that fact? Of course not. If they lost all their customers they could go out of business, so they too open on Sunday.

Now I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's basic economic sense from the retailers point of view.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 09:31   #50

Quote:
Sorry to disagree with you on this , but I think your answer is a crock , and spoken like a true Tory taskmaster of old , granted some people have to work over a 7 day spread, police , fire etc.
The only reason 7 day trading is happpening is pure misguided greed on behalf of the giant retail chains who think they will make more profit , simple answer is they dont , the amount of money a person has available for spending is the same wether its over a six day or seven day trading week . In order for the local supermarket to make money by trading 7 days is to put the prices up to cover the cost of openeng up the business , paying staff , heat, light etc.
And no way can I agree with your statement that some parents actually like working on Sundays because it saves them money , I'm sure any responsible parent given the option would want to spend quality family time together as a unit .
Actually I would argue that your answer is far more True Blue than mine. If I remember correctly Hyndburns own MP (Labour) was a strong advocate of Sunday trading. You probably missed all that being in a foreign land.

Responsible parenting is, in the real world, all about compromise and children need to be fed and clothed as well as quality time.

Sunday jobs are also very popular with teenagers for whom they provide the first inroads into work.

Of course we must not forget that nearly 20% of the local population are Muslim and do not h ave any religious qualms at all about working Sunday. Are you suggesting that the laws of our country should be biased against the majority of the populations wishes ?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 11:22   #51
Resident Waffler

There has always been Sunday trading for years in parts of the country with a large Jewish population.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 12:33   #52
Junior Member+

"It’s about time that it was realised that the new influx of migrants, Eastern European or other wise, are only here to bleed the country dry. " dont talk such utter racist rubbish! those who come here from the former eastern bloc countries that have now joined the E.U have every right just as people from the Uk have to move and work within the borders of Europe nearly all these people are here to work not live off the state, and the vast majority of them are working and doing jobs that the indeginious people wont do, in the same respect over five million British people have left the UK in past six years to live and make new lives for themselves in E.U countries the people of those countries dont say that they are bleeding their country dry, i am disgusted by your little englander comments, during the last war many thosands of Polish men and other states surround them came to the Uk to help in the war effort by giving their lives, many stayed and brought their families up in the Uk, you forget very easily that within the E.U their are open borders to provide for the free movement of E.U citizens and it works both ways, i am sure as work dries up many will return home, just if same thing happened in any of the E.U countries those British people would move, i am here only talking about the E.U its upto each national Government to control non E.U people who wish to enter the Uk. Other countries who have had more people from the new E.U acession states move to them for work have had no problem in integrating them into their nation lives, i have not heard of any complaints from France, Spain or the other 26 E.U states complaing about having to learn English by their frontline services to accomodate the hundreds of thosands UK citizens who have moved to their countries, we have to learn to get rid of this racist attitudes in our midst that blames someone else usually the stranger in our midst for our troubles and learn to live and let live, the UK frontline services depend to a great extent on labour from people of other states, and if we like it or not the Uk is a multicultural nation and theres nothing going back on that so lets live with it, and work with it, not sit back and come out with racist propaganda that you digest from gutter tabloid press
Old 23-06-2008, 13:51   #53
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by declan View Post
i have not heard of any complaints from France, Spain or the other 26 E.U states complaing about having to learn English by their frontline services to accomodate the hundreds of thosands UK citizens who have moved to their countries, we have to learn to get rid of this racist attitudes in our midst that blames someone else usually the stranger in our midst for our troubles and learn to live and let live, the UK frontline services depend to a great extent on labour from people of other states, and if we like it or not the Uk is a multicultural nation and theres nothing going back on that so lets live with it, and work with it, not sit back and come out with racist propaganda that you digest from gutter tabloid press
declan its about time you realised, the frontline services you refer to DO NOT have to learn english to accomodate us, i know i have lived in spain, plus members on here who still do can verify that. n far as i'm concerned,its those countries who have got it right. WE should make the effort if we choose to live abroad,its ****** all to do with racism, as people like you try to infer, its simple common sense, and the biggest reason we are in a mess here,is people with your mentality. wise up, n quote real facts, not yer imagination.
Old 23-06-2008, 15:14   #54
Junior Member+

Cashman you are wrong its alot to do with racism you cant seem to get it into your head that these people from the E.U countries have a right as do people from the Uk to move within the internal market many people from the UK choose to do the same without being told (there bleeding the country dry) that is racist rubbish many eastern european people arent here for UK handouts they came here to seek a work just as many Uk people left the Uk for the same reason, i know more about these facts than you so dont tell me to wise up, take a long hard look at your attitudes towards these people, and if you ever did live in Spain as you say you will find that no body said to you you were bleeding their country dry, you should be uttley ashamed of your attitude thank God the majority of normal Uk citizens arent so inward looking and narrowminded as i said i was speaking for E.U citizens only not those from outside the E.U that is the sort of thing the UK government can control, and most frontline services staff in other E.U countries have staff that speak most langauges so get used to it and have more respect for people from whereever they come from, wasnt it attitudes against such people that lead Hitler to his orgy of murder and the gas chambers shame on you
Old 23-06-2008, 15:22   #55
Resting in Peace

I'm part Polish - Ancestors came here by donkey 10.000 years ago.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 16:22   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Cashman you are wrong its alot to do with racism you cant seem to get it into your head that these people from the E.U countries have a right as do people from the Uk to move within the internal market
You are missing the point. We don't want to be in the EU if it means we have to allow people from other Countries to come here and work when we don't want or need them.
Old 23-06-2008, 16:46   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Cashman you are wrong its alot to do with racism you cant seem to get it into your head that these people from the E.U countries have a right as do people from the Uk to move within the internal market many people from the UK choose to do the same without being told (there bleeding the country dry) that is racist rubbish many eastern european people arent here for UK handouts they came here to seek a work just as many Uk people left the Uk for the same reason, i know more about these facts than you so dont tell me to wise up, take a long hard look at your attitudes towards these people, and if you ever did live in Spain as you say you will find that no body said to you you were bleeding their country dry, you should be uttley ashamed of your attitude thank God the majority of normal Uk citizens arent so inward looking and narrowminded as i said i was speaking for E.U citizens only not those from outside the E.U that is the sort of thing the UK government can control, and most frontline services staff in other E.U countries have staff that speak most langauges so get used to it and have more respect for people from whereever they come from, wasnt it attitudes against such people that lead Hitler to his orgy of murder and the gas chambers shame on you
there is no " if i ever lived in spain" as many who know me can verify, you arrogant get, n i have no objection personally to members of the EU coming here, i couldn't careless, what i do object to is money being spent to accomodate em.
Old 23-06-2008, 16:50   #58
God Member

Think he has missed the point altogether. On his basis if I move to Spain or France ( I can't speak either ) they will provide all official documents in English and where they are not available will provide me at their taxpayers cost, a translator ?
Old 23-06-2008, 17:59   #59
Give, give, give member

I'd be more than happy if we left the E.E.C., and all economic migration was stopped, and that includes the Republic of Ireland.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 18:07   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Think he has missed the point altogether. On his basis if I move to Spain or France ( I can't speak either ) they will provide all official documents in English and where they are not available will provide me at their taxpayers cost, a translator ?
Yes and he would awaken from his dream....and I do live in Spain.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..