Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2008, 18:48   #76

Re: Support For Migrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
when its a stupid question i aint a problem with it, i just respond likewise, have you a problem with that?
I'm sorry, I did not know you were such a superior being to decide what is 'stupid' and what isn't.
However, in my experience I have usually found that those who resort to using the word 'stupid' are the ones that are used to having it thrown at themselves.
It is a bit like abused kids often go on to become abusers.

I see the person I asked the question of has seen it as worth answering and with a very sensible reply!
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2008, 19:04   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
I'm sorry, I did not know you were such a superior being to decide what is 'stupid' and what isn't.
However, in my experience I have usually found that those who resort to using the word 'stupid' are the ones that are used to having it thrown at themselves.
It is a bit like abused kids often go on to become abusers.

I see the person I asked the question of has seen it as worth answering and with a very sensible reply!
i aint superior like you appear to be, i used the word stupid cos no reasonable person would support such a thing.so therefore it was stupid to ask the question, yer experience obviously aint up to the level you see it polly, can never remember anyone calling me stupid. i was not calling you stupid, it was the question, n i stand by it.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:08   #78

Quote:
i aint superior like you appear to be, i used the word stupid cos no reasonable person would support such a thing.so therefore it was stupid to ask the question, yer experience obviously aint up to the level you see it polly, can never remember anyone calling me stupid. i was not calling you stupid, it was the question, n i stand by it.
TBH it appears to me that if you had a valid argument you would not need to reduce yourself to the level of calling someone elses remarks 'stupid'. In my opinion that is an aggressive stance to take and the type of attitude that has upset people else where on this site.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:09   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly
If you look at my previous postings you will see figures quoted of 59% who have no religous affiliation. Add the 20 % Muslim p0prulation and it makes 79% who consider themselves not Christians on non practicing Christians. This is a very large majority to have Sunday closing forced upon them
I don't know where you obtain your statistics from but have read at this.

Research
GFK NOP RESEARCH 2008

A poll of 1000 adults taken between 28th-30th March 2008 revelaed that 88% of people did not notice, did not realise, or were not bothered at all by big shops being closed all day on Easter Sunday.

2007: We asked respondents whether they thought at least one day of the week – Sunday – should be different from the rest of the week, or not, and two thirds of respondents said yes. More women than men thought so, (70% v 61%).

More here http://www.keepsundayspecial.org.uk/ if you're interested.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:11   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
No I would not, the difference being....I am here by choice, I don't expect or collect benefits, I observe the laws of the country.
I have lived in Spain for a total of 9 years and never once have I been confronted or abused by any Spanish people.
Spain are experiencing the same influx of EU Nationals who have no work.
Vagrancy laws in Spain are such that if you can't support yourself...go home....That applies to all Nationalities.
That seems quiet reasonable to me. I would expect to do the same if I moved abroad.
It sounds like the Spansih are a bit more open minded than some of those in the country.
I can see the sense of 'if you cant keep yourself, get out'. If only it was applied accross the board in this country the tax payers burden would suddenly decrease, and I do mean with the indigenous population as well.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:16   #81
Give, give, give member

According to the last census, which we are all obliged to fill in, 71.6% of people identified themselves as Christian.

Although it doesn't say how many are regular church goers.

Mind you, once Jesus stopped attending the Jewish Synagogue, he himself didn't attend church much either.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=293

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:17   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It sounds like the Spansih are a bit more open minded than some of those in the country.
Unless you've arrived on a raft from Africa.

Old 23-06-2008, 19:17   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
TBH it appears to me that if you had a valid argument you would not need to reduce yourself to the level of calling someone elses remarks 'stupid'. In my opinion that is an aggressive stance to take and the type of attitude that has upset people else where on this site.
you wouldn't know aggressive if it smacked ya in the kisser, i just say as i see, the word obviously must not be in the dictionary or you wouldn't be throwing yer toys out of the pram. its not offensive its just a word that to me perfectly describes the question, a question that is likely to upset as many as the word stupid. i think you used it just to be mischevious n then get on yer high horse at someone who bit.
Old 23-06-2008, 19:18   #84
Give, give, give member

Has Jambutty got a sister?

Old 23-06-2008, 19:30   #85
God Member

Quote:
Declan the vast majority of them are working and doing jobs that the indeginious people wont do,
No they are not, they are working in jobs that the indigenous population used to work in for minimum wages. They are working for less than minimum wages but rest assured it gets topped up with tax credits. It really annoys me that the workers of this country fought long and hard to get wages and working conditions away from the workhouse mentality only for somebody else to come in take the jobs and knock it back to square one. If you have ever worked long hard hours for a crap wage you would also be angry that this is being allowed to happen!!!
Old 23-06-2008, 19:40   #86

Quote:
you wouldn't know aggressive if it smacked ya in the kisser, i just say as i see, the word obviously must not be in the dictionary or you wouldn't be throwing yer toys out of the pram. its not offensive its just a word that to me perfectly describes the question, a question that is likely to upset as many as the word stupid. i think you used it just to be mischevious n then get on yer high horse at someone who bit.
'' i just say as i see' clearly without any thought to anyone else.
It is easy to mock others without any proof. Clearly you have demonstrated you find that type of behaviour easier than rational and sensible debate.

Other people on the thread have managed to behave in an intelligent and polite manner whilst disagreeing, why can't you?
Old 23-06-2008, 19:41   #87
God Member

Quote:
That seems quiet reasonable to me. I would expect to do the same if I moved abroad.
Would you also expect the Spanish government to pay for your Spanish lessons ?
Old 23-06-2008, 19:44   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Would you also expect the Spanish government to pay for your Spanish lessons ?
Even if you do expect, they don't.

My friends who recently relocated there, pay for their own Spanish lessons, and also pay to have any offical forms they need to have translated.

Old 23-06-2008, 19:44   #89
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
No they are not, they are working in jobs that the indigenous population used to work in for minimum wages. They are working for less than minimum wages but rest assured it gets topped up with tax credits.
where do you get your facts from ?.. you can't get tax credits unless you supply details of your income (P60 etc) .. the only way to be paid less than the minimum wage would to be un-registred for tax.. so how could you be "topped up" with tax credits?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 19:45   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
According to the last census, which we are all obliged to fill in, 71.6% of people identified themselves as Christian.

Although it doesn't say how many are regular church goers.

Mind you, once Jesus stopped attending the Jewish Synagogue, he himself didn't attend church much either.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=293
The figures you quote are correct 71.6% do consider themselves Christian but only 10% attend Church weekly.

It is surely this minority who would want everything closed on the Sabbath?

Infact I am not sure about that, I maybe making an assumption, as I know quiet a few practising Catholics who go to Mass on Saturdays so they can shop on Sundays?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..