Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2008, 10:38   #121

Re: Support For Migrants

As a person who works for a company that trades in many of the E.U countries which i do have to visit, i have seen first hand the benefits of E.U membership and the working of the free market that allows workers from the the States to move where there is work.

Germany and France have takken far more of these workers than the UK and most of those people have took the trouble to learn the host country mother tounge without state money. Mancie in his post is right about us British picking on different groups in the past to place all the woes of our country on, in the past it was the Irish, then the Carribean people who came here or rather invited here and given British passports, then then in our owntime the Asians, now its the people from easten Europe, from my own observations many of these people do not ask for handouts and anything that would be given the country from which they came has to repay to the Uk any costs under the treaties signed years ago.

We have to remember the days of the empire are gone, and as Declan so well put it, we are in a global ecomomy Britain cannot survive by itself, and neither should it, most of our energy comes from Europe and Europe is our biggest market that provides the financial stability in the city and markets, most europeans i come in contact with want Britain to be there in the driving seat of Europe pushing forward change and reform, Margaret Thatcher ( no euro lover) knew that this was the way forward for our country
and to be honest i think in Europe they liked her plain speaking.

The world today is tied into large trading blocks and we cannot be outside them, as for the original thread whenever we here of money to be given to this or that group we all get up in arms about it thinking were losing out, Margaret was mentioning asian people given interperters and it not working but we are not on about asian people who dont come from any european country? i do know for a fact that Europe has given alot of money to help depressed areas of the UK and to help the victims of floods of late, and to provide alternative employment in the job sectors that were run down eg shipbuilding and the mines, now in all other E.U countries that money would go stright to those affected but the UK got an opt out in the Rome treaty that means it goes stright to Uk treasury and they decide who will or not get it, this is hardly fault of Europe.

We hear in the media about migrants getting this and that help, but in truth you will find there is very little truth in it, all it does is stroke up the fires of resentment in many people and even hatred and violence against those same people by groups of idiots who need a target rather than do something usefull with their lives, all that must be condemned as its not the British way, we would deplore it if our people were so demonised in other countries as a small section of the media do to them in this country.

Many people from my own firm work as i stated in other european countries, and people from their who have left to seek work are now returning as their infrastructure is being built up, we must give them credit for getting up moving and wanting to better their lives, and i can tell you they have nothing but respect for the Uk and want nothing but to work and support their families, rather than most of our people who prefer to live on the dole and do nothing
accyderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2008, 10:42   #122
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyderek View Post
rather than most of our people who prefer to live on the dole and do nothing

I presume you can support that statement ?
Old 24-06-2008, 10:46   #123
God Member

Strange how declan and accyderek work in similar fields and both spend a lot of time travelling around the EU Legal field International and E.U work with voluntary community in care of staff in legal advice
Old 24-06-2008, 12:19   #124
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Strange how declan and accyderek work in similar fields and both spend a lot of time travelling around the EU Legal field International and E.U work with voluntary community in care of staff in legal advice
maybe its the same person
Old 24-06-2008, 12:37   #125
Beacon of light

Actually I mentioned the fact that literature which was translated into Asian languages didn't work...I also observed that it was different with the Eastern Europeans...the culture is different too.
I still stand by my original observation that learning the language of your adopted country is not helped by providing money for interpreters...it is helped by providing education systems for the economic migrants and their children.....they are also helped by having the appropriate community services which aren't directed just at them, but at the community they live in, as a whole.

Maybe you, in your work, have seen benefits that the EU have provided......I have not seen those benefits......and again my main concerns with this vast conglomeration of european states is that we have no voice to change the things we feel are not right.
It isn't a democracy, it is a bureaucracy which railroads its policies through regardless of thefact that a lot of people do not want these policies.
I recall the Lisbon treaty was thrown out by a number of member states...Ireland being the last one to give it the thumbs down...and how does the EU treat Ireland? It tells it to go back and come up with the right vote.
No I do not trust the EU...and I'm sure that there are many more out there who are in the same mind.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 13:11   #126

Well said accyderek ....
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 13:47   #127
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
rather than most of our people who prefer to live on the dole and do nothing
thought yer response was a very reasonable one, until yer last sentence, which is utter crap, so therefore why should anyone take any notice of the rest of it? its called shooting yerself in the foot.
Old 24-06-2008, 13:51   #128
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

We could support them from the viaduct

anyone got some rope?
Old 24-06-2008, 17:20   #129

"rather than most of our people who prefer to live on the dole and do nothing" well i withdraw that maybe to harsh. Margaret my own personal point is that Britain can be a cause of change in the E.U and maybe have good sense to offer and change things, we cant change anything by staying on the sidelines and moaning, like i did say from the trade visits we have made to Europe and meeting companies from other countries there is alot that can be done working within the original structures.

I am unsure after reading some of the posts including Declans, who said or what agency is going to pay this money to pay for interperters, but is it tue i ask? the E.U does not pay for any of these things but i am sure if National Governments want to pay for such things then if one onjects one can go to ones M.P

As you can see i was originally not very happy with the workings of the E.U but the more i have and my fellow workers have been involved with its structures the more i have seen its advantages, its not perfect but neither is our Government here is it?
but if we as a nation take our proper place as we will have to in time it can be turned to our benefit, there is alot of goodwill around for the Uk we should use it, but hitting out and wanting to go our own way as others have said is not an option

last friday it was nice to see eight schools and two colleges had sent their puplils to the European Parliament and they were full of questions, we might as well make Europe be the way we want it and i am sure we all can be happy with that
accyderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:25   #130
Give, give, give member

I think quite a few people may be in need of English lessons, and I think I may be in need of an interpreter of Goobledegook.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:30   #131
God Member

Quote:
last friday it was nice to see eight schools and two colleges had sent their puplils to the European Parliament and they were full of questions,

At leat you didn't try conning us by telling us they got answers as well.
Old 24-06-2008, 17:31   #132
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
last friday it was nice to see eight schools and two colleges had sent their puplils to the European Parliament and they were full of questions, we might as well make Europe be the way we want it and i am sure we all can be happy with that
Did any of the pupils ask how the MEP's expenses were worked out?
Old 24-06-2008, 17:32   #133
Give, give, give member

'Norway and Switzerland are Europe's two richest countries. (Switzerland's GDP per head is almost half as great again as the UK's.) Both are much more "dependent" on trade, particularly with the EU, than the UK (as shown in the table below). Neither has anything like the UK's global economic weight and standing. Yet both prosper outside the EU.'

http://www.globalbritain.org/BNN/BN15.htm

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 17:51   #134
Beacon of light

I do not see how we, the electorate can change anything within the EU as we have no voice...and as for MEP's, well, I may be cynical but I think they are on an overflowing gravy train. They are in it just for themselves....not to make things better for us.

I will never be happy to be a part of the EU......when you consider that there are currently 27 member states I can't see how we can make a difference.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 18:00   #135
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thought yer response was a very reasonable one, until yer last sentence, which is utter crap, so therefore why should anyone take any notice of the rest of it? its called shooting yerself in the foot.
There you go again - Talking sense.I think earlier in this thread Steeljack gave a list of factories that had closed.He did however miss out all the weaving and spinning sheds not to mention the pits the railway and Prestige Eubank along with Rists and god knows how many other places of employment.Perhaps Accyderek could furnish us all with a list of alternative employers that could take up the slack
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..