Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2009, 14:25   #16
Junior Member+

Re: swine flu case confirmed from hyndburn park school!

I think it is really bad that the childrens parents from that school havent been told and able to make their own decision on their childrens welfare. I know i wouldnt be sending my son!

And Panther your right about people not dying left right and centre but to the wrong person i think it can be very dangerous indeed!
carlos28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2009, 15:27   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***Mr D*** View Post
Is this not how it was done in the olden days.

Oh wait its much better to be injected with the flu.
for chicken pox yes but i dont think they did it for things like the plague

as for swine flu parties some people are born thick and stay thick,giving a baby swine flu or a young child on purpous could result in its death and if that happens i bet they wouldnt be thinking the party was such a good idea then

any excuse for a joint and a booze up i expect lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 20:13   #18
Senior Member+

dunno if its been posted on here or not but its at a blackburn school as well now

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 21:31   #19
God Member

In today's Telegraph it said there are now 5 cases of swine flu in Accrington.

Worrying, but there's no point getting in a tizz about it. We can't do anything about it, can we?
Old 04-07-2009, 21:33   #20
God Member

Exactly Lilly no point worrying about something you can't change. The young lad from Hyndburn Park seems to be doing well so that reassures me somewhat.
Old 04-07-2009, 22:05   #21

Hello

It is all a bit scary. I was reading in the paper today that they are giving up trying to contain the virus. I.e, they wont be shutting any more schools or trying to chase the source of the infection if found in someone. But they will still carry on with quarantines.

Also they have said that tamiflu may not be the answer but a vaccine is coming soon. Children under 5, the frail, and the elderly will get it.

I work in a school and weeks back when all this started the first thing that i thought was that surely it would be a good idea to send out letters home asking if your children had been away (specifically Mexico) recently. But as far as i know nothing happened.

The paper also states that soon (before the summers out) 40 people could be dying a day in the UK from this if it carries on spreading as it has been doing.

I feel that I'm not a stupid person but i feel utterly confused by all this swine flu business. If it is as serious as it is made out to be then surely the government/council should issue an information pamphlet. Stating key information such as How to tell, how to avoid, what to do, and where to get treatment.

I think the record needs setting straight on this issue.

Matt
detectivefix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 22:35   #22

I realy feel sorry for all the people and the children what as got this virus i do hope they can come up with something soon to help with this .
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:02   #23
Senior Member+

i'm still thinking of not sending my daughter come monday

she's 5 and frail so i dont really wanna risk it

but saying that the way the govt is talkin about it being so common and allowing it to spread its going to get to her eventually.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:57   #24
Resting in Peace

I hope no swine gives it me
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos28 View Post
I think it is really bad that the childrens parents from that school havent been told and able to make their own decision on their childrens welfare. I know i wouldnt be sending my son!

And Panther your right about people not dying left right and centre but to the wrong person i think it can be very dangerous indeed!

There are between 250,000 and 500,000 flu related deaths each year worldwide. So far there have been less than 300 swine flu related deaths.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:20   #26
God Member

They aren't going to bother testing now, so any flu will get labelled as swine flu, just to get the figures up

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35   #27
Beacon of light

I think that the media are flinging figures about willy nilly......no-one knows what the true figures are for this strain of flu (H1N1) and there may be many people out there who have had the virus and recovered, treating it as nothing more than a summer flu.......as for the elderly succumbing to the virus....it may be true if there are other health issues, but the elderly seem to be less affected......this may be due to the fact that in their long lives they have been exposed to more varieties of flu viruses.

I am not saying the people shouldn't take care, but all this hype is unnecessary and is confusing and frightening for some people.
We need to get some kind of perspective on the situation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:53   #28
God Member

I'm sure I read somewhere that people over sixty or maybe in their sixties were less likely to succumb to this type of flu (or maybe I dreamed that up). We just need to take extra care, there is no need for panic.
Old 05-07-2009, 13:26   #29
Beacon of light

No, Bernie....you didn't dream it up......and it appears that unless you have any other pre-existing illnesses the over sixties will be better at throwing off this virus, for the reasons I have outlined in a previous post.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 13:29   #30
God Member

Good to know I'm not cracking up (yet)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..