Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2015, 20:22   #1
God Member

Syriza ...

Seems like the feces is about to hit the swiftly rotating object over there ... particularly in Brussels ... not to mention Berlin. And an interesting alliance in Athens: the left and the right united in their peeoffidness about austerity ... or whatever the German word for that is. And rumblings in Spain ... Podemos.

And the symbolism of the wreath laying ... at the tomb of 200 Greek patriots shot by the Germans. So ... (has anyone else noticed that most folks now begin most of their sentences with "So") I decided to read a little bit about the German occupation of Greece ... 'nuff said.

Personally, with my distant perspective ... I see a Shiite Tsunami on the way ... heading, hopefully, heading for Berlin, with a stop on the way at Brussels.
Stevie R and Accyexplorer like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-01-2015, 20:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Syriza ...

"Syriza" it that just another name for Green Party
Greece will be punished

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 22:17   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Greece will be punished
There again, with about half the population already living below the poverty line .... .

I'm wondering what effect this will have on those in the UK who support a re-negotiation of Britain's membership in the EU. And also on those politicians who support Britain's remaining in the Union.

I think we should remember that there are many in Greece who remember the German occupation, either at first hand, or learned from their parents. It must be hard on them to take diktats from Berlin.
Old 27-01-2015, 00:04   #4
Senior Member+

I'm in the mood for a bit of Tracy chapman

Do I think the UK will follow suite? Hmmm [Accyexplorer pauses with thoughts of "plebs" in power].

What I find exciting is their going to cancel EU conditions,I'd like to be a fly on the wall in that meeting

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 27-01-2015 at 00:08. Reason: Deleted Boring gibberish
Old 27-01-2015, 09:00   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
.... So ... (has anyone else noticed that most folks now begin most of their sentences with "So").....
Yes I have and I'm trying hard not to do it, keep finding myself editing before posting when I notice I have done it.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:22   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:

And the symbolism of the wreath laying ... at the tomb of 200 Greek patriots shot by the Germans.
Quote:
I think we should remember that there are many in Greece who remember the German occupation, either at first hand, or learned from their parents. It must be hard on them to take diktats from Berlin.
According to the British media the Germans weren't involved in WW2. It was a nation called the Nazis. You never see or hear any mention of Germans taking part.
Naziland must have been quite a big country with a lot of people but you won't find it on a map.
Even in 1945 a documentary made from film taken by UK,USA and USSR photographers of what the Allied Armies found when they went into the Concentration Camps was deemed too sensitive to be shown- apparently it might have upset or offended the Germans, suggesting they were involved.
A Channel 4 programme last Saturday(Holocaust:Night will Fall) showed some of it- shocking, unbelievable. Still on the internet.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 12:44   #7
Senior Member+

So in the 50s the Greeks fought a Communist take over ("Nazi's") and now (after years of overspending and poor management) they're embracing communism....

....Hmmm smells like a conspiracy

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 27-01-2015 at 12:52.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:06   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
So in the 50s the Greeks fought a Communist take over ("Nazi's") and now (after years of overspending and poor management) they're embracing communism....

Don`t remember that much from school history lessons but weren`t Nazis fascist rather than communist?

Last edited by gpick24; 27-01-2015 at 13:08.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 13:12   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Don`t remember that much from school history lessons but weren`t Nazis fascist rather than communist?
My bad

password--Accyweb
Old 27-01-2015, 13:15   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
So in the 50s the Greeks fought a Communist take over ("Nazi's") and now (after years of overspending and poor management) they're embracing communism.
Syrisa (Marxist) has formed a government with Independent Greeks(Right wing/Fascist) so we have the best of both worlds- or the worst!

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 27-01-2015 at 13:21.
Old 27-01-2015, 14:38   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Syrisa (Marxist) has formed a government with Independent Greeks(Right wing/Fascist) so we have the best of both worlds- or the worst!
Maybe it's just that the Greek people have realized that, when you join a politically united Europe "[you] start out giving your hat, then you give your coat, then your shirt, then your skin, and finally your soul." (De Gaulle). And they will vote for whoever they think will do the best for Greece and Greeks. Any political "marriage", however weird it may look is better than whatever comes out of Berlin ... oops, that should read "Brussels."

Positive things may come out of cancelling debt. It's worthwhile making the point that the economic recovery of West Germany began in the early 50s, '53 is my non-google guess, when the allies cancelled the bulk of that country's debt.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:04   #12
Senior Member+

What's the odds on Germany being the last country standing if (and 'when') the EU collapses

password--Accyweb
Old 27-01-2015, 15:06   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:

Positive things may come out of cancelling debt. It's worthwhile making the point that the economic recovery of West Germany began in the early 50s, '53 is my non-google guess, when the allies cancelled the bulk of that country's debt.
If the Greeks get it the Spanish will want it- and the Italians, the Irish, the Portuguese etc.
Well, it's only money, I suppose the European Bank can just print some more.
Interesting to see how Berlin( sorry, Brussels) fudge their way out of this one.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:27   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
According to the British media the Germans weren't involved in WW2. It was a nation called the Nazis. You never see or hear any mention of Germans taking part.
Naziland must have been quite a big country with a lot of people but you won't find it on a map.
Even in 1945 a documentary made from film taken by UK,USA and USSR photographers of what the Allied Armies found when they went into the Concentration Camps was deemed too sensitive to be shown- apparently it might have upset or offended the Germans, suggesting they were involved.
A Channel 4 programme last Saturday(Holocaust:Night will Fall) showed some of it- shocking, unbelievable. Still on the internet.
Actually, there weren't all that many Nazis: Hitler, Goering, the media guy who had no balls at all, Borman, Himmler, and maybe half a dozen more whose names I can't be bothered to remember ... but they worked long hours. Everyone else was "German", especially after the war. They were the good guys ... like von Braun: that wonderful guy who gave us space travel. Remember the movie "I Aim at the Stars." Ok, sometimes his aim was off, and he hit London; but his heart was probably in the right place. And the Holocaust? Jewish conspiracy

By the way:

Auschwitz survivors, world leaders mark 70th anniversary of camp's liberation - World - CBC News

Damn kikes; they take a little thing like the final solution, and make a federal case out of it. Enough already.

I've noticed that when AccyWebers discuss crime and punishment, especially after some particularly horrendous crime, the majority are outraged that the punishment the perp will get is far too lenient. They want blood and retribution. I think you can all see where this is going ... so, I won't waste space elaborating.

But it is worth making the point that what pees the Greeks off is not only the austerity, but who is imposing it.

By the way, if you have a lot of time on your hands and don't mind wading through pages of well-researched facts and figures, the following is a good read: "Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust" by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen. Of course, some will look at the author's name and conclude that it's just part of the Great Hebe Conspiracy.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:34   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Well, I thought the Greek fought the Nazis a little earlier than the 50 ' s, and you can correct me if I'm wrong but, they had a reputation of being a little to the right of the Communists. Weren't there several factions of Greek resistance which included the Communists?
Please correct my mistakes as I seem to have lost my copy of 'The beano ' s illustrated history of the 20th century'.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..