Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2017, 13:37   #1

Take care if you use Amazon

I have been ordering a few things from Amazon on the run up to Christmas and was very satisfied with the service provided until out of the blue I found they had taken £79.00 out of my bank account. Apparently I had inadvertently pressed a button which made me a member of Amazon Prime.I didn't want this service which provides streaming thousands of films and a one day delivery service on all purchases.I have tried to cancel this service but the answer is "Tough mate ,you pressed the button and you will have to cancel next year as you have paid for 12 months.I have put this item on here to warn folks that you have to be very very careful when you deal with these multi national giants like Amazon .They don't take any prisoners.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2017, 13:41   #2

Re: Take care if you use Amazon

It's easy to do too. They are always pushing their Prime service. It's enough to put you off using Amazon altogether.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:44   #3
Senior Member+

You can get a refund if you are still in the free month trial or if your trial has ended and haven't used any of the prime services -
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/rec...n-prime-refund

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 13:56   #4

I realised that Mr Pick but and I tried that but I didn't realise the money had gone until my monthly bill statement arrived and I saw the £79.00 had gone and by then I had passed the date I have lost my money by my own fault and I can't blame anyone but myself but I want others to beware.
cashman likes this.
Old 14-01-2017, 14:37   #5
Beacon of light

Just remember to set a date to remind yourself to cancel this. I am not sure if they tell you before they debit your account.
I keep getting 'encouragements' to use this product, but there is nothing in it for me.
I only order very infrequently. Most of my Amazon purchases are on downloads for my Kindle
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 14:54   #6
Senior Member+

Take care if you use Amazon

My Mrs signed up for it a while back, used the free month but forgot to cancel, because she hadn't used the prime services outside the trial period she was still able to get a refund 2 months later.
Keep trying, if you haven't used it you are entitled to a full refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:47   #7
God Member

amazon deliberately try to make you accidentally click the prime option.It was offered to me three times before i finally managed to pay for it without accepting the prime service and each time the method of paying with prime added was very clear and bold unlike the normal method without which was smaller and not as visible

if amazon only had a clear button they could use to pay their taxes
AccyMad likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 15:49   #8
Senior Member+

If you sign for the month's free trial and forget to cancel it,they will take 12months payment from you. Best to remove your card details once you have ordered something
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 19:06   #9

Thank you for all your advice, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I have lost £79.00To be quite honest with you I have no idea whether I signed for a trial or not.I don't know if I signed directly for the Prime or not. I have looked back over the site and noted that the buttons to join are more prominent than the buttons I meant to use. This is obviously a ploy by Amazon to snare unwary 85 year olds like me. Although I enjoyed using Amazon and they have had a fair amount of business from me you can assured that I will not using this site again.Once bitten twice shy as they say enough is enough . Goodbye Amazon goodbye
Old 14-01-2017, 20:19   #10
Full Member+

I am sorry to hear your story Jim. I hope you do try again to get your money back. Amazon are not the only site to offer free months trials and then take a years subscription should you forget to cancel when the month is up. Most of the ancestry cites do it too.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 20:20   #11

Just out of curiosity, have you spoken to anyone at Amazon by telephone, or has the conversation been by email? I've always struggled in the past to find relevant telephone numbers which Amazon make hard to find on their site. I would have thought they would have offered something as a goodwill gesture. After all, you have given them a lot of business in the past.
Jim Procter likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:07   #12

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
Thank you for all your advice, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I have lost £79.00To be quite honest with you I have no idea whether I signed for a trial or not.I don't know if I signed directly for the Prime or not. I have looked back over the site and noted that the buttons to join are more prominent than the buttons I meant to use. This is obviously a ploy by Amazon to snare unwary 85 year olds like me. Although I enjoyed using Amazon and they have had a fair amount of business from me you can assured that I will not using this site again.Once bitten twice shy as they say enough is enough . Goodbye Amazon goodbye
Not using it is a bit daft if you don't mind me saying...if you can't get your money back, then at least get some value for it!

You should use the crud out of free/early delivery for the next 12 months AND make sure you cancel it before it auto-renews next year
Old 15-01-2017, 08:53   #13

Great news.I followed the advice of Michael 1954 and Googled the phone number of Amazon.My call was answered by a genial young fellow who listened to my tale of wo with great concern. Leave it with me for a couple of minutes and I'll see what I can do. After a few moments he said we have decided to cancel Prime and reimburse you with £62.20,the money will be in your account in 2 to 3 days and I will send you an Email confirming this offer. Well I was well chuffed as you can imagine , but I will make sure before I press buttons in the future.I might even reverse my decision and send Amazon an order or two.Thanks to all of you who made suggestions to my problem especially to Micheal1954,Thank you.
Old 15-01-2017, 09:06   #14
Beacon of light

Well done Jim.
Persistence pays off in the end, and though you did not get all your money back you got most of it. I am very pleased for you.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 09:18   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Very glad yeh got sorted Jim.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..