Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 17:11   #61
God Member

Re: Take your Life in yer Hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have just ventured out to take these snaps of Arctic Clayton
Picture 1) Blackburn Road.
2)Back of Maple Street.
3)Tree in back yard of Maple Lodge
4) Coming out of Wharf Yard.
5) Canal at Clayton.
Ok ... so you have had a light dusting of snow .... what's the problem Looks to me like a nice winter's day. Your winter weather problemseven made the new over here, tho' I have to admit that the newscasters could barely contain themselves from
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2010, 17:23   #62
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ok ... so you have had a light dusting of snow .... what's the problem Looks to me like a nice winter's day. Your winter weather problemseven made the new over here, tho' I have to admit that the newscasters could barely contain themselves from
Yes Eric...it is all relative.......over there(because you expect snow in winter, and are prepared for it) it is just a sprinkle......but over here it is newsworthy, causes major disruptions. transport grinds to a halt, schools close, hospitals cancel all but emergencies,etc, etc......it is Arctic.
The newspapers tell us it is Arctic so hence my reporting it as Arctic.

And just why do the newscasters keep on mentioning it......only those who are living in a nuclear bunker with no windows would not know about the snow........we only have to look out of the window.

I grew up with the bad winters in the fifties, and 62/63.......and the others that followed and I do not remember the kind of disruption that this winter weather has created.

It is good that your news readers found the situation over here so amusing.......perhaps if they were here, and trying to get to work, it would wipe the smile off their faces.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 17:41   #63
God Member

Quote:
Yes Eric...it is all relative.......over there(because you expect snow in winter, and are prepared for it) it is just a sprinkle......but over here it is newsworthy, causes major disruptions. transport grinds to a halt, schools close, hospitals cancel all but emergencies,etc, etc......it is Arctic.
The newspapers tell us it is Arctic so hence my reporting it as Arctic.

And just why do the newscasters keep on mentioning it......only those who are living in a nuclear bunker with no windows would not know about the snow........we only have to look out of the window.

I grew up with the bad winters in the fifties, and 62/63.......and the others that followed and I do not remember the kind of disruption that this winter weather has created.

It is good that your news readers found the situation over here so amusing.......perhaps if they were here, and trying to get to work, it would wipe the smile off their faces.
I don't think they were smiling, hon; "smirking" would be more accurate But, it's just a little snow ...

Maybe I should dust off my camera and go for a little walk on this pleasant, sunny -7 degree day and take a few pics. All the sidewalks have been plowed out, by the way; and there will not likely be any more snow till Friday. Most of the major streets have been bladed down to the asphalt, and the snow hauled away to be dumped north of the city. There are immense piles of what you call grit in the city yards waiting for the next big blow. And if we don't use it this year, then it will still be there next winter.

But you are right ... we are a winter country (apart from BC) and we are always prepared for the worst, like the great ice storm of '98 ... Apart from disasters like that, we rarely shut down .... slow down sometimes, but come to a halt, nah.
Old 06-01-2010, 17:50   #64
Beacon of light

You see, you got it right........the pavements are not like lumpy ice rinks where even young folk could break an ankle...or a neck, the roads are ploughed and kept free of snow.......you are not stopped from doing the stuff that needs doing each day....you may be slowed down a bit, but things still run........and that is the diffrence.

Here we are being told not to travel, there is no grit for anything other than main arterial routes(and pretty soon that may be used up)......we are held to ransome over the price of fuel to heat our homes......commerce grinds to a halt. It is no fun believe me.
All I can be gratful for, is that I no longer have to haul my sorry ass out of bed at some ungodly hour,scrape the snow off the windscreen and try my best to get to Queens Park Hospital for a shift of duty.........Amen to all that!
Old 06-01-2010, 17:58   #65

Quote:
You see, you got it right........the pavements are not like lumpy ice rinks where even young folk could break an ankle...or a neck, the roads are ploughed and kept free of snow.......you are not stopped from doing the stuff that needs doing each day....you may be slowed down a bit, but things still run........and that is the diffrence.

Here we are being told not to travel, there is no grit for anything other than main arterial routes(and pretty soon that may be used up)......we are held to ransome over the price of fuel to heat our homes......commerce grinds to a halt. It is no fun believe me.
All I can be gratful for, is that I no longer have to haul my sorry ass out of bed at some ungodly hour,scrape the snow off the windscreen and try my best to get to Queens Park Hospital for a shift of duty.........Amen to all that!
Margaret what ward you work on. My mum worked there for 53 years.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 18:00   #66
Beacon of light

I gave up 7 years ago........I was Sister on the Gynae Ward......Sister 'P'......that'd be me
Old 06-01-2010, 18:03   #67
Resting in Peace

Looking on the bright side,I don't have to worry about driving 5 miles a week less anymore.
I reckon I'm covered for the next 5 years.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 18:03   #68

Quote:
I gave up 7 years ago........I was Sister on the Gynae Ward......Sister 'P'......that'd be me
She was Sister K elderly wards.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:18   #69
Full Member+

I want some snow
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 20:25   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Angel View Post
I want some snow
There's lots of it north of the 49th parallel ....
Old 07-01-2010, 19:09   #71
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I just read my work email and there was one from the local council regarding gritting (I work in Knowsley). Here are some interesting bits

Quote:
From this point, the Government will be operating the Salt Sell scheme which allocates salt supplies to local authorities in greatest need. As a result, future supplies will be decided by Government Office NW and the Highways Agency. Knowsley will be guided by their decision
Quote:
In addition to highway gritting, the Council has targeted gritting for pavements and roads at: walk-in centres, shopping parades, schools and areas where our most vulnerable residents live, e.g. sheltered housing accommodation. Our grounds' maintenance teams have also been involved in the snow clearance operation, supported by those involved in our Community Payback scheme.
Quote:
Knowsley Council has also decided to suspend all of the Council's waste and recycling collection operations until Monday 11th January. This is a decision that has not been taken lightly and reflects the known problems that have arisen due to the severe weather.

In the meantime, the waste collection staff will continue to be used in snow/ice clearing on shopping parades across the borough during tomorrow and Friday
Old 07-01-2010, 19:43   #72
God Member

councils are claiming that gritt is useless when temperatures are as low as -6 and this is there excuse now for not gritting

in germany where a few friends of mine have lived it reaches -20 degrees and the gritt is quite effective

cant really believe anything these council idiots say why dont they just admit they blew the budget on trivial crap and have gotten caught with tehir pants down by teh unexpected snow

you can buy gritt at a farm i think it is on the way to blackburn accross from where daisy dairy used to be as you leave ossy if you need any for your drive or somthing , theres a sign outside, they seem to be able to get a supply so god knows why councils cant

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 19:48   #73
God Member

I was told today that Accringtons waste/recycling teams are not working (on collections anyway) for 2 weeks.

The gritting/clearing of snow from shopfronts I believe is down to the shopkeepers, they wont do it because a) The council will fine you if you pile it up at the kerbside, or a different part of the pavement, b) If someone slips in the snow, it does not affect the shopkeepers, but if the shopkeeper has altered the covering of snow by attempted clearing, they would be liable for anyone slipping on the altered surface...... compensation nation strikes again!!

If you look around, the grit bins are in the main.... missing!! there used to be 14 in Altham, now there are none, and I cant remember the last time I saw one anywhere, even an empty one.

Grit with sand isnt too clever in anything minus 5 or less, but if the correct grit is used, it is effective in any temperature, but..... its expensive, so you can draw your own conclusions!

Last edited by derekgas; 07-01-2010 at 19:51.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 19:48   #74
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
you can buy gritt at a farm i think it is on the way to blackburn accross from where daisy dairy used to be as you leave ossy if you need any for your drive or somthing , theres a sign outside, they seem to be able to get a supply so god knows why councils cant
And he is a nice chap. I saw that sign as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 19:54   #75
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
The gritting/clearing of snow from shopfronts I believe is down to the shopkeepers,
In my case I don't do it because I pay council tax & business tax to the council/county council ( as I would imagine you do Derek). It's bad enough paying once and being screwed, twice is an insult

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..