Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2006, 12:49   #46
God Member

Re: Taxed.

morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2006, 17:53   #47
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.

I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 22:46   #48
God Member

What are they? I need to follow them in reverse... lol
Old 21-08-2006, 22:58   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.
Bit late mate I'm 6"1 and still going!!

I've even resorted to making extra cash by renting out my legs to Cyfr at weekends
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 00:44   #50
God Member

Yeah I knew my EMA would come in good for something...!
Old 23-08-2006, 12:06   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx
Not relevant.

"No taxation without representation" is a basic tenet of modern democracy.

Large sections of society can't vote but are major users of public services
CusCus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 12:16   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusCus
Large sections of society can't vote but are major users of public services

Such as prisoners.

Old 23-08-2006, 12:20   #53

Quote:
Such as prisoners.
and the insane
and immigrants
and the young
CusCus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 14:37   #54
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CusCus
and the insane
and immigrants
and the young

Don't forget Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II.

Old 23-08-2006, 14:40   #55
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I actually worked out that I probably pay £6.90 a DAY in tax purely to get to and from work!

(car tax, VAT on fuel, Insurance tax, VAT on tyres/exhausts etc)

Actually I paid pretty much zero income tax last year due to some very nice tax efficient investments(40% relief on the whole investment)
You actually spent time working that out, you need more hobbies ( or more work to do at work )
Old 25-08-2006, 12:24   #56
Resting in peace

It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 12:32   #57
God Member

You forgot those that earn loads of dosh and pay very little tax. We are paying theirs as well.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 12:45   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.
I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 17:43   #59
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!

Stop complaining about not complaining.

Old 25-08-2006, 17:55   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Stop complaining about not complaining.
And you .. stop complaining about people complaining about not complaining .. did I get that right ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..