Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2006, 21:02   #1

Taxed.

17.. and Ive just started being taxed every week. (NOTE: I am not complaining. I dont mind paying the tax!) Paying £6.90 a week to a Government I am not even eligble to vote for. I think if you are taxed, you should have the right to vote. Or am I being silly?
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2006, 21:04   #2
God Member

Re: Taxed.

, I wish my tax bill was £6.90 a week!!!!!!!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 21:14   #3
Resting in Peace

Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 21:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
, I wish my tax bill was £6.90 a week!!!!!!!
Haha.. Yeah, like I said Im not complaining, suppose I will be when im paying a lot more lol.
Old 13-08-2006, 21:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx
OooOoo.. thanks
Old 13-08-2006, 21:19   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Haha.. Yeah, like I said Im not complaining, suppose I will be when im paying a lot more lol.
Ignore him ... he's just bragging that he is a high earner.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 21:30   #7

Old 13-08-2006, 21:43   #8
God Member

Full time education rocks

I can fill in a form at my bank, to get a total of £6 tax back.. yay..! :|
Old 14-08-2006, 06:23   #9
God Member

I actually worked out that I probably pay £6.90 a DAY in tax purely to get to and from work!

(car tax, VAT on fuel, Insurance tax, VAT on tyres/exhausts etc)

Actually I paid pretty much zero income tax last year due to some very nice tax efficient investments(40% relief on the whole investment)

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 08:53   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

You are lucky to be paying so little tax from your wage. My tax deduction makes me wince every month.. As your wage and tax deduction increases you may start to feel embittered by the fact that your hard earned tax is paying for the same services for people who don't want to work and pass that shirk ethic on to their kids. You will not mind your tax going to people who genuinely can't work for medical reasons, you will not mind contributing to the care of the elderly, but the lazy gits out there, with no medical problems, who know their way around the system and claim for everything will really get up your nose..... Welcome to the world of the tax payer..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 12:41   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
17.. and Ive just started being taxed every week. (NOTE: I am not complaining. I dont mind paying the tax!) Paying £6.90 a week to a Government I am not even eligble to vote for. I think if you are taxed, you should have the right to vote. Or am I being silly?
makes a change for a young un not to be complaining, and i think its an extremly good point, also some of our unfortunate young uns,may get killed/injured in the forces abroad and they may well be to young to vote! to me theres summat wrong here.
Old 14-08-2006, 12:53   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
makes a change for a young un not to be complaining, and i think its an extremly good point, also some of our unfortunate young uns,may get killed/injured in the forces abroad and they may well be to young to vote! to me theres summat wrong here.
Errr......not quite. Although a youngster can join the forces at 16 (junior level), and at 17 1/2 senior level, they now have to be 18 before they can be deployed in an operational theatre (Iraq, 'Gan,)

The wider debate is why we are now having to pay the amount of taxes (both direct & indirect) that we have to do and to what extent is a) the money well spent or b) just p*ssed away or c) not spent but should be spent, i.e. on things like border control.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 13:10   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Taxed.

You raise a good and valid point morgan_brotherz. So no, you are not being silly. Have some Karma to take you over 50.

However it could also be argued that if you are old enough to pay tax and thus vote then you are old enough to join the armed forces and go into combat.

I know that you can join the armed forces as a boy seaman or airman or soldier but you don’t get sent abroad to fight under the age of 18. You may have to parry bombs and missiles in this country though but the so would the rest of us.

I don’t suppose that conscription will ever come into force again but how would a 17 years old feel about having to go and fight and probably get killed?

In my view no one under the age of 18 should be eligible to pay Income Tax on earned income.
Old 14-08-2006, 13:44   #14
God Member

Welcome to the grown world , just be glad you live in the UK , if you lived here in the US you could be at executed in some states for crimes committed before your 18th birthday , yep it's true the law says we can execute children, just wait until they turn 18. Even if you are in the military and have served your country overseas (maybe even lost a limb or two) you would not be able to buy an alcoholic drink anywhere in the U S till you reach the age of 21, how the Govt. can justify such a law I have no idea , guess it's because both this and the previous President are both reformed drunks (oops, sorry, Both were victims and suffered substance abuse in their younger years)
Good luck in the years ahead
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 14:16   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack
Even if you are in the military and have served your country overseas (maybe even lost a limb or two) you would not be able to buy an alcoholic drink anywhere in the U S till you reach the age of 21, Good luck in the years ahead
Errr....you used to be able to drink on base at 18, irrespective of the state law. Has that now changed as well?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..