Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14   #16
God Member

Re: Taxi drivers - credentials.

It probably would Neil, British Gas used to own Corgi, and was privatised in 1980 probably because they obviously couldnt be self regulating, but in my opinion, they still pull the strings, hopefully Capita will stop that, they also say thier first port of call will be to the rogues and illegal gas workers! Time will tell! Napit made a bid too apparently, at the end of the day, of it wasnt a money spinner, none would be interested.
Accrington Web
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58   #17
God Member

All this cost to get accreditation could make it hard for the small indie operater to be in business. The down side could be an increase in the rouges and the mess, dangerous repairs they have done and the extra costs fixing it. I am in favour of certification to prove they are compitent on the job but could they not bring in one that covers all the requirements without the large costs involed to get them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:01   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
All this cost to get accreditation could make it hard for the small indie operater to be in business. The down side could be an increase in the rouges and the mess, dangerous repairs they have done and the extra costs fixing it. I am in favour of certification to prove they are compitent on the job but could they not bring in one that covers all the requirements without the large costs involed to get them.
The cost is the whole idea Spuggie, the governmnt ha to get all this money back, that they have paid out proping up Northern Rock and B & B, or am I just being cynical
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39   #19
Resident Waffler

I'm not sure what these taxi driver tests entail but I agree with Mick that it would help a bit if they knew the area. It used to be that if you didn't know where somewhere was you could ask a taxi driver and they would know. Now they always seem to ask where the location is (not much good if you are a visitor and have never been here before) and they ask "How much do you usually pay?" instead of telling you how much it is. Again useless if you do not 'usually' do that journey.

A couple of years ago we took a taxi to a friend's house in Ossy, gave the driver the address and in spite of us telling him he was going the wrong way he insisted he wasn't and took us on a scenic tour of most of Ossy before finally admitting he couldn't find it!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09   #20

We got in a taxi last weekend and the driver who is based in Accrington didn't know where the Bee's Knee's Pub was!!!!!!

My ex hubby is a driver for a local firm (when he is awake). They might be a bit more expensive but at least they know where to take you. And the cars are in good condition!!!!
MrsAleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'm not sure what these taxi driver tests entail but I agree with Mick that it would help a bit if they knew the area. It used to be that if you didn't know where somewhere was you could ask a taxi driver and they would know. Now they always seem to ask where the location is (not much good if you are a visitor and have never been here before) and they ask "How much do you usually pay?" instead of telling you how much it is. Again useless if you do not 'usually' do that journey.

A couple of years ago we took a taxi to a friend's house in Ossy, gave the driver the address and in spite of us telling him he was going the wrong way he insisted he wasn't and took us on a scenic tour of most of Ossy before finally admitting he couldn't find it!

Most taxi drivers now have those Sat Nav things to find their way around. I don't know if they work off postcodes or street names, but I would say they are next to useless if the driver can't spell correctly.

As for the drivers asking how much do you usually pay, it's a ploy to get more money from you. All prices have to be listed in the car along with the price per mile. I always check the mileage when getting in a taxi and pay for the mileage used not what they think they can get away.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
Most taxi drivers now have those Sat Nav things to find their way around. I don't know if they work off postcodes or street names, but I would say they are next to useless if the driver can't spell correctly.

As for the drivers asking how much do you usually pay, it's a ploy to get more money from you. All prices have to be listed in the car along with the price per mile. I always check the mileage when getting in a taxi and pay for the mileage used not what they think they can get away.
Were I stay they need to pass a test for the local area before they get a licence though they do use sat nav when going further afield. To the point about cost if they are not metered which unlike my local ones are I use the tariff I am familiar with based on the mileage done.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 13:23   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
they also say thier first port of call will be to the rogues and illegal gas workers
So I wont be able to hoover out my Baxi back boiler any more
Old 07-10-2008, 14:53   #24
God Member

Will these b-pec exams for cab drivers be conducted in English or Urdu?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 14:57   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So I wont be able to hoover out my Baxi back boiler any more
Dont tell your home insurers about that, they will cancel the policy pmsl, people hoovering appliances is not a good idea, and stems from idiots who are supposed to be servicing, doing little else but hoovering it, is a good sign they know little about the actual mechanics of it, a bbu should take a good hour to service.. that doesnt mean hoover it for an hour Neil ok?
Old 07-10-2008, 14:59   #26
God Member

Taxi drivers in Bury (Hackney) own the plates, the last one I saw sold was 30k, what happens if they fail these supposed tests?
Old 07-10-2008, 19:26   #27
Resting in Peace

I used to pay what was on the clock,now It's all cash in hand with no checks on the fares.and no clocks.
I pay what I think is right and if they are not happy I tell them to send me a bill.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 19:29   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i ring up to book,i always ask How Much? saves any crap later.
Old 07-10-2008, 19:33   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
. We should have stuck 2 fingers up at Europe in the 70's and stuck with red, yellow, blue and black neutral for 3 phase and red, black for single phase. Every phase was instantly identifiable.

Ok rant over....for now
It was Red , Black and Green when I lived in the UK , Did they change it ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 19:35   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
It was Red , Black and Green when I lived in the UK , Did they change it ?
Nah not the Taxi Drivers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..