Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 18:28   #46
God Member

Re: taxi rip off

hackney taxis can charge more because they pay more for a licence that allows them to be flagged down in the street so its best to avoid using those that line up on union street and down the side street off church street.Your best off walking into a taxi rank and waiting in the warm for a taxi if one isnt avialable right away although even on a meter that price seems pretty steep for such a short journey

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2012, 19:14   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
hackney taxis can charge more because they pay more for a licence that allows them to be flagged down in the street so its best to avoid using those that line up on union street and down the side street off church street.Your best off walking into a taxi rank and waiting in the warm for a taxi if one isnt avialable right away although even on a meter that price seems pretty steep for such a short journey
Yep i thought it seemed steep too! The Taxi rank was just handy for her, as she was in Town & feeling the cold this Saturday morning. She's not used to Taxi's & wouldn't know...or probably have felt like walking far, to the nearest Cab office, she had been to the Market & M&S, so i guess the nearest would have been the one opposite the Broadway Pub, but i'm not sure which one that is! She usually gets the bus up but with it being cold didn't want to wait long in the stop. I'll let her know not to use the rank...but again based on the other circumstances mentioned on this thread, probably no guarantee another firm might not have taken advantage of someone not being savvy with prices!

Best regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41   #48
Resting in Peace

With My mother dying just before Christmas i have had to go over to Preston quite often these last few weeks to sort things out.
normally i would get the bus to the station as i have a free bus pass but coming back its been dark and its been raining and i have been exhausted when the train has pulled in at Accy railway station so instead i have just jumped in a taxi when it got to our house just down Blackburn Road (Persia St) the taxi has charged £4:00 or £4-50 and the taxi drivers have never had there seat belts on.
In Preston i got a Taxi (black cab) from Railway station all the way to Cop Lane Penwortham down the ring road and that was only £6 and much better drivers too
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
With My mother dying just before Christmas i have had to go over to Preston quite often these last few weeks to sort things out.
normally i would get the bus to the station as i have a free bus pass but coming back its been dark and its been raining and i have been exhausted when the train has pulled in at Accy railway station so instead i have just jumped in a taxi when it got to our house just down Blackburn Road (Persia St) the taxi has charged £4:00 or £4-50 and the taxi drivers have never had there seat belts on.
In Preston i got a Taxi (black cab) from Railway station all the way to Cop Lane Penwortham down the ring road and that was only £6 and much better drivers too
Whats the minimum rate now mick, I haven't used taxis for a while, as for not wearing seat belts they don't need to they are exempt
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33   #50

I use Max Cabs every time I venture out and due to the weather forecasted for last weekend I rang to see what the situation was likely to be. I spoke to a very polite man who informed me that if the weather got too bad then Max Cabs would close until it was deemed safe for the drivers to pick people up without fear of crashing. Armed with their advice I still went out into town and hoped that it wouldn't get too bad. (It did).
After a nice evening out I rang Max Cabs to see if I could get home and was told that due to safety reasons they were closed. Not to worry... I was warned... So, I went to Central Taxis on Burnley road and booked a taxi back to Ossy. The office said it would be £4 (which is more than I usually pay) but, because of the conditions I was very happy to pay the price.
Half way through the journey the driver started to complain about the conditions and that he hadn't earned any money etc etc... He then asked me for £8 ! I refused to pay him and asked for his badge number. He soon repealed his price back to the £4 I had originally been quoted and we parted company. Do NOT pay more than you have originally been quoted by a taxi company! If You have a mobile ring the office and speak to a an operator. They will tell the driver the price and that is what you will pay. Private Hire Drivers work under the banner of the taxi company and are all self employed and will try their hardest to get extra money from you. Don't give in, I rang Max Cabs a couple of times when I first started using them and the office told the driver straight away how much to charge. Once you get used to your fares and journeys then if you have the money ready you won't need to argue.
Do all these companies that carried on working in the icy conditions not realise that if they just charged the normal fare and looked after their customers then maybe they could grow and prosper as other taxi companies in town have?
Mr Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
They don't charge more because they pay more for the plate. Whether hackney or private hire the plates cost the same. Hackney plates are limited in number and the price is set by the council. Private hire plates are not allowed to be limited by law. Therefore the competition is stronger and the customer is king (or queen). Just make sure when you ring a private hire firm that you get a quote for the journey before you book the taxi.
Mr Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 15:34   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick
the taxi drivers have never had there seat belts on.
Taxi drivers don't need to wear a seat belt Mick.

When you don't need to wear a seat belt

You don't need to wear a seat belt if you're:
a licensed taxi driver who is 'plying for hire' or carrying passengers.

Using a seat belt : Directgov - Travel and transport

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 16:12   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Taxi drivers don't need to wear a seat belt Mick.

When you don't need to wear a seat belt

You don't need to wear a seat belt if you're:
a licensed taxi driver who is 'plying for hire' or carrying passengers.

Using a seat belt : Directgov - Travel and transport
Similar over here too ... drivers in K'town do not need to wear a seatbelt when carrying passengers. At other times they have to.

It does seem to me that taxi meters would be a great idea. I used to drive hack, and I still own a taxi ... comes in handy on busy nites There are three cab companies in town, and the fares for all cabs are set by the Taxi Commission, which is appointed by City Council. All meters are calibrated on a test track, and then sealed. There are no extra charges for weather, ... even the boost fee is the same for all companies. It simplifies things: you phone any one of the companies; get in the cab; tell the driver where you want to go and which route you want him to take; and you are off and running. And taxis don't shut down for bad weather, although individual drivers might decide that road conditions are too dangerous and quit early. If a customer thinks he has been ripped off, he can complain to the company. If he gets no satisfaction, he can then complain to the Commission. If you allow a driver to set fares on a whim, or according to his level of greed, then obviously you are going to have problems.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23   #54

i'm v surprised at max cabs concern for health & safety seeing as some of their drivers are so bad - wrong way on 1 way street, jumping lights, no seat belts, smoking, no indication, pulling out, etc
Regards firms trying to extort more fare. I once shared taxi back from burnley with some girls. We agreed the fare, set off then he wanted more, we argued, he threatened to abandon us. A cunning plan formed. Dropped off 1 at huncoat at which point he demanded the fare. I gave him half, journey continued, gave him directions to drop me off, told him to pull over, gave him rest of original fare, got out & told him if he wanted to argue to go in there - accy police station. Look on his face priceless ! I went & sat inside til he cleared off. Cops laughed their heads off. then i reported him to burnley taxi licensing.
Old 09-02-2012, 13:47   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
i'm v surprised at max cabs concern for health & safety seeing as some of their drivers are so bad - wrong way on 1 way street, jumping lights, no seat belts, smoking, no indication, pulling out, etc
I agree %100 infact i have seen their mini busses fly through dill hall lights way after they have gone to red with children on board doing what i assume is a school run of some sort on many occasions.Maybe they are more distinctive because they have MAX plastered down the side of tehir vans but the front of my car was nearly ripped off by one jumping red lights at high speed not so long ago.Unfortunatly due to the speed and direction it was travelling i couldnt get a badge or plate number.

I have been led to believe that MAX cabs is what used to be CB taxis and at one point i would have recomended them but now they have lunartics driving for them i wouldnt like to put my kid in one.Peoples kids may be getting home in one peice but i dread to think how many near misses they had along the way.

Probably only a handfull of their drivers but they get noticed and it seems not just by myself.

Ordinary cars are just as guilty and the red light jumping seems to be trendy these days but you expect better from someone paid to get you from A-B safely especially when transporting your kids.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 09-02-2012 at 13:52.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 17:56   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty mears View Post
Regards firms trying to extort more fare. I once shared taxi back from burnley with some girls. We agreed the fare, set off then he wanted more, we argued, he threatened to abandon us. A cunning plan formed. Dropped off 1 at huncoat at which point he demanded the fare. I gave him half, journey continued, gave him directions to drop me off, told him to pull over, gave him rest of original fare, got out & told him if he wanted to argue to go in there - accy police station. Look on his face priceless ! I went & sat inside til he cleared off. Cops laughed their heads off. then i reported him to burnley taxi licensing.
I once got a taxi back from Burnley to Haslingden and the prices was extortionate, he was parked outside my gaff on Blackburn Road facing Accrington and he asked me the quickest way back to Burnley I just said turn right at the lights and follow that road, they say Blackburn is nice early morning
Old 09-02-2012, 18:46   #57
God Member

When I got a taxi to my son's wedding hotel in Simonstone I was charged £10 by Hyndburn Cars and thought it reasonable.

The following day the hotel reception got me a cab for the return and it was £15.

They charge what they think you will put up with without grumbling. I had a hangover and it must have shown.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 19:13   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I got a taxi to my son's wedding hotel in Simonstone I was charged £10 by Hyndburn Cars and thought it reasonable.

The following day the hotel reception got me a cab for the return and it was £15.

They charge what they think you will put up with without grumbling. I had a hangover and it must have shown.
I think Hyndburn Cars are first rate Margaret, I never used anything else, never let me down and the price was always reasonable, think it used to cost me £4 from Mallard to Accy which wasn't bad
Old 09-02-2012, 21:01   #59
Beacon of light

I second that John...they are superb with my Ma. Hate using taxis, and when I do they are the only firm I would use.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48   #60

Davemac - Please could we have an update on were this is up to, you were quick to post the issue is there any progress either with the Council or Arrow Taxis
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..