Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2022, 07:32   #16

Re: teenagers ..

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1265337]Give them a damn good thrashing to within an inch of their miserable lives, then lock 'em away in a "School" for further thrashings, education & the teaching of manners only to be released when they're 21, got a job & know their place on the social scale .......

Or is that a bit much?

No it isn't, I would add, bring back conscription on leaving school at 16 until becoming of voting age at 18 where they would then be (supposidly), an adult
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2022, 09:33   #17
God Member

[QUOTE=taddy;

No it isn't, I would add, bring back conscription on leaving school at 16 until becoming of voting age at 18 where they would then be (supposidly), an adult [/QUOTE]

no thanyou. the best news i ever heard in my early teens was the end of conscription. something i was completely dreading. imagine there would be more of a totally unsuitable personality for forces life like i was nowadays no matter what age they went in. Getting back to old schooldays discipline and learning whats really important would be far more of an advantage. Then convert many of these universities into flats would also help with less pointless courses to keep kids away from work for a few more years. Good old tony blair. Most of our present problems can be traced back to that individual and we are still reaping the harvest he first planted.
Less, DaveinGermany and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 09:52   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

No it isn't, I would add, bring back conscription on leaving school at 16 until becoming of voting age at 18 where they would then be (supposidly), an adult
Our armed forces are made up of volunteers, lets keep it that way.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 10:04   #19
Beacon of light

Yes, I think you are right Less.
Why should the armed forces be the disciplinarians to unruly (and sometimes) thuggish teens…and yes I know this is a huge generalisation. But from my experience it is the exception that tests the rule here.

When I am out and about on my jaunts on public transport….it is sometimes my misfortune to be on buses filled with a rabble of children in school uniforms and their language is the ripest sort….full of expletives that were usually the domain of dockers or something you might hear in the tap rooms of old(only know from what I have been told…never having been in a tap room)….and the girls are sometimes worse than the boys…..because they tend to be louder and more raucous.

I do try to avoid the times that I might run into these groups, but schools seem to have staggered starting and finishing times these days.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 11:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Our armed forces are made up of volunteers, lets keep it that way.
I could make just one exception to this, all men over the age of 74 to serve in dad's army.
Old 24-03-2022, 15:26   #21

[QUOTE=Less;1265348]Our armed forces are made up of volunteers, lets keep it that way.

You are Quite right Less, our lad left school at 16 and signed up for the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Armoured Corps, he served with distinction in the First Royal Tank Regiment, he loved it, when one of his mates asked, "how do you put up with the discipline" his answer was "if you have had reasonable discipline before you join any of the British Forces than you will not find it a problem", on hearing him say this the back of my eye lids came over all moist. the lad is 53 now and what he learnt in the forces has stood him in good stead for life. My comment was more tongue in cheek than a serious statement. As for all men over 74 joining the home guard, I just qualify, Bring it on.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Old 24-03-2022, 17:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
As for all men over 74 joining the home guard, I just qualify, Bring it on.
Yes, we know you do, I'm just frightened that in four years time I will also keep telling folk my age.

Ooops, what a giveaway, obviously using maths, folk can tell how old I am! I've already fallen into the trap!
Old 25-03-2022, 06:57   #23

Yes, Margaret, I have seen the same thing on public transport. Schoolbags dropped in the aisle, students sprawled on seats, feet on seats, loud voices, and no getting up for older people.

What I find really unfortunate about this scenario is that they might be in the minority but they are loud and are the ones who are noticed and are frowned upon by adults, while the respectful and polite students, who are a credit to their upbringing and to their school, sit quietly and mind their own business, they go unnoticed.

Last edited by dotti34; 25-03-2022 at 07:01.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 07:52   #24

[QUOTE=Less;1265355]Yes, we know you do, I'm just frightened that in four years time I will also keep telling folk my age.

Ooops, what a giveaway, obviously using maths, folk can tell how old I am! I've already fallen into the trap!

Less, it's not a problem, simply do as I do when some one asks me how old I am and this includes Doctors, Nurses,etc I simply say that I am seventy five on the outside but still a teenager on the inside.
Same when I have to fill in one of these "Official", N.H.S, or Government Forms where they ask for your ethnicity,(think thats spelt right), where it asks how do you define yourself; Black British,White British, French, German, etc, I always answer I am Anglo Saxon with a dash of Viking. I still have the Tony Hancock LP, "The Blood Donor", where that phrase originated.
Stay Happy, Your's the oldest teenager in Hunnicot, (The villages original Saxon name.
Old 26-03-2022, 07:24   #25

Taddy, I just watched Tony Hancock’s 'The Blood Donor' on You Tube. Thank you for mentioning this. A bit of good old-fashioned humour. Very funny and not one expletive uttered.

As for age, always keep that youthful spirit.
taddy likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 07:57   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Yes, Margaret, I have seen the same thing on public transport. Schoolbags dropped in the aisle, students sprawled on seats, feet on seats, loud voices, and no getting up for older people.

What I find really unfortunate about this scenario is that they might be in the minority but they are loud and are the ones who are noticed and are frowned upon by adults, while the respectful and polite students, who are a credit to their upbringing and to their school, sit quietly and mind their own business, they go unnoticed.
Think for a lot of them on the school bus its more of a gang mentality. Once away from the gang numbers they are possibly decent kids. No one, especially teenage lads want to be or thought of as the odd man out. Had years of driving school buses or loading them at schools. Never found any difference in them from the late 60,s till i packed it up in 2003. There is no difference either in their language and general behaviour if they are from rough housing estates or areas with a couple or more new cars at their adresses.
Old 26-03-2022, 08:00   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I could make just one exception to this, all men over the age of 74 to serve in dad's army.
I,d be exempt not because of a reserved occupation but i,m unvaxed.
Old 26-03-2022, 09:22   #28
Beacon of light

Does two or three of these children constitute a gang MH?
Because last week I was on the bus at 3 pm coming back from Burnley.
Two girls and one young boy ( might have been 12) got on in Padiham.
The Language that came from these children was filthy.
When they were getting off at Latham I asked one of the girls if she kissed her mother with that dirty mouth…..she was gob struck….I don’t think she had ever been checked over her bad language before.

That is where we fail our children….they think it is big and clever, but it is neither and just shows a poor grasp of vocabulary.
Old 27-03-2022, 11:12   #29
God Member

once there is more than one kid it always seems to be a gang with all the noise they make. as more and more join em as back ups the behaviour, noise and language gets worse. the problem could be is that they are repeating something that they hear every day at home from mothers as well as fathers. know my old man swore like a trouper at work with every other word starting in F or C but never heard it once at home even when he lost his regular rag.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 27-03-2022, 13:22   #30
Beacon of light

I think you are right MH…..and I think that is why they think it is alright to use this bad language around other members of the public.
It is not alright with me…..I absolutely hate this kind of language….especially when it comes from the mouths of children.
My husband tells me that it is the way of the world….but it is only that because more of us do not speak up and tell the people who are being offensive that it IS offensive.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..