Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2016, 11:10   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Television Licence

Yes, but just because something is free does not mean you have to use it.
I am very selective in my viewing. himself would have the TV on all the time...even if he isn't watching. Me? I turn it off.
Some of the things I like to watch do not interest him and vice versa......I frequently watch stuff on my Ipad....Sky arts programs are very good. A wide range of music from Pink floyd to Puccini.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-03-2016, 11:25   #92
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Procter View Post
All this hysteria is all about having to pay a licence fee.Get past 75 like me and it's free Free FREE.
That says it all.
Old 10-03-2016, 13:27   #93
God Member

one idea floating around was to add the fee to your service bill so you couldnt get out of paying it where your provider would add an amount on to each bill and hand it over to the bbc

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 14:23   #94
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
All this hysteria is all about having to pay a licence fee.Get past 75 like me and it's free Free FREE.
Quote:
Well I like the BBC,better than all those adverts on the other channel, and a better quality of programme too
It's not hysteria, it's a discussion and anyone that is so stuck in the past as to think there is only one other channel deserves to get BBC free.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:45   #95
Senior Member+

If the BBC had ad breaks then there would be no need for TV license, other channels get their money from advertisements. However that would dramatically change the quality of BBC TV programs as they would have to be shorter to fit in the ad breaks. Imagine "Question Time" with ad breaks? However they could do that and perhaps have a subscription channel for those who want BBC with out breaks - or have the full programs on line as a large majority of people do watch on line or catch up - the days of everybody sitting down at the same time to watch the same program is becoming a thing of the past.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:16   #96
God Member

or they could make the program longer i dont see why programs cant start at 9.10 for example its not as though anything bad will happen if a human sits in front of a tv to watch a program not starting bang on the hour

because of internet viewing of tv shows where adverts are cut out so we dont have to wait for the next segment tv stations are now putting adverts within the show its self like on someones t-shirt or billboard in the background

to me its product placement but it beats having 5 min breaks

adverts on the billboard fro example can be changed to suit whatever country or area its been broadcast in

this isnt an idea it actually happens now so theres no excuse for the tv license and the not advertising any more

im pretty sure BBC america has adverts anyway because america get the same shows as we do but dont pay for them like we have to

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 11-03-2016, 12:23   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

im pretty sure BBC america has adverts anyway because america get the same shows as we do but dont pay for them like we have to
Yes it does, the quality of the programmes doesn't seem to be affected either, when I was over there last Christmas it seemed to be none stop Dr. Who.
Old 11-03-2016, 13:43   #98

Bbc is rubbish anyway, can't believe we have to pay to fund it, they should have adverts like the rest of the channels then it would be free?
wigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 17:02   #99
God Member

bbc have just recorded a drama covering the shannon mathews kidnap in yorkshire

how fitting they wasted license payers money on something about the abuse of a child

there is absolutely nothing they could hope to tell people that isnt already either fresh in peoples minds or easily obtained using google

i dont want to ruin the eneding for anyone but they find her hidden in a bed and her mum kidnapped her trying to obtain money from a ransom made by her boyfriend

Old 11-03-2016, 17:04   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes it does, the quality of the programmes doesn't seem to be affected either, when I was over there last Christmas it seemed to be none stop Dr. Who.
it wouldnt surprise me if the BBC tried telling America they have to have a tv license

the reason why i was unsure on adverts is because everything i watch has them cut out lol

Old 11-03-2016, 21:36   #101

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
bbc have just recorded a drama covering the shannon mathews kidnap in yorkshire

how fitting they wasted license payers money on something about the abuse of a child

there is absolutely nothing they could hope to tell people that isnt already either fresh in peoples minds or easily obtained using google

i dont want to ruin the eneding for anyone but they find her hidden in a bed and her mum kidnapped her trying to obtain money from a ransom made by her boyfriend

Ok tin hat time....

Keyword here is 'drama'..it's irrelevant that we know the outcome... guess what?.... Scrooge gets reformed, Sidney Carton dies, the shrew gets tamed and the Germans lose WW2.

The BBC has done some really great drama that has affected how we think and act today...

Stuff like Threads, Cathy Come Home and Edna the Inebriate Woman...

There have been excellent serial dramas like I Claudius, Edge of Darkness, Poldark(original)

Edgy comedy like Monty Python, Not the nine o clock news, Fawlty Towers (flowery tw**s), Blackadder etc..

And format comedy like Fools and Horses, open all hours, good life

How many of us grew up with Bill and Ben, Woodentops and Andy Pandy

More recently there have been dramatic bios on Kenneth Williams, Tony Hancock, Hattie Jacques...but hey we know the outcome..they died

Studio25 likes this.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:47   #102
God Member

just the bbc cashing in on a poor girls traumatic life changing event that will now be sold off to the world not just the UK

the lass will be older now and if she is getting a big payday out of this in royalties and is happy her personal life is been dug up all over again then fair enough but no mention of her was in the information about it other than the juicy bits to get people interested

i can help but think the BBC would have ploughed through with this even if she begged them not to though

Old 13-03-2016, 13:07   #103
Senior Member+

I will never pay for TV License. Currently my housemate does, but hes glued to the TV... Personally I never watch anything live, therefore do not need one
Old 13-03-2016, 14:02   #104

Quote:
just the bbc cashing in on a poor girls traumatic life changing event that will now be sold off to the world not just the UK
Talking of things being sold off, I mentioned in this post:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Here's a bit of a coincidence, BBC are to stop transmitting BBC3 T.V. and have an 'online' service instead on the 16th February the very same day that a new channel 'W' starts up.

The strange thing is, BBC3 has up to present been repeating Eastenders at around 10pm O.K. that is no reason for the sane to watch BBC3, but it has been announced that the new channel 'W' will start transmitting Eastender repeats at 10pm Aren't the BBC lucky that some independent channel should start up and take over this crucial broadcasting to the nation, I wonder, how many other progs from BBC3 will W be getting?
Just take a look at W's schedule, it contains all the programmes that used to be on BBC3, you remember that channel the Beeb have moved to the internet to save money (without even a hint of a refund to it's fee payers for loss of service).

So BBC3 has gone & in it's place is a new commercial channel gaining revenue from commercials and still nothing being returned to the fee payers, something stinks about how they got away with this.
Old 13-03-2016, 23:11   #105
God Member

im not up to date with the latest scams the bbc are pulling but i was told today the bbc are planning on charging for their iplayer to people who dont have a tv license

if someone is already not paying for a tv license its a pretty safe bet iplayer isnt their only source for BBC shows lol

its kind of worrying a company sooo far behind with technology and the times along with a reputation for supporting child abuse is considered one of Britain finest assets and exports around the world

its a bit like the world thinking our Mps are the best example of citizens in the country lol

the sad part is they should be but MOST of them actually put criminals on the moral high ground because a criminal has at least been punished and labeled a criminal

no wonder government keeps handing the BBC a free ride they are of a similar ilk

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..