Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-03-2011, 21:55   #31

Re: Tesco Accrington

It wasnt nice. I hope the next mayor is chosen because of who he or she is not just because they keep PB in power, but he has to live after all
Josie Bloggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2011, 06:34   #32
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs View Post
It wasnt nice. I hope the next mayor is chosen because of who he or she is not just because they keep PB in power, but he has to live after all
The Mayor is currently decided by a gentleman's agreement that it flips between the two main parties year by year. Although he is now Independent, Malcolm Pritchard had stated for some time that he wanted to be Mayor this year because it has great personal significance for him.

It is now widely understood that a deal was struck between Cllr Pritchard and Cllr Britcliffe that he could be Mayor so long as he supported Conservative decisions in full council meetings. How much this has succeeded is debatable as Malcolm Pritchard does not seem to be a man to come to heel very lightly and he has chaired council meetings in a pretty even-handed way over the past year.

Technically, this year it is Labour's turn but it all depends on the outcome of the local elections in May. I am on a committee at the moment that is currently looking to stop the Mayor being used as a political pawn because all respect for the position has evaporated. The fact that Cllr Britcliffe's name and not Mayor Pritchard's has appeared on so many brass plaques at opening ceremonies around the borough is testament to the ego of the man at the head of the council.

The Ossy Civic Theatre is due for another re-opening this week, watch whose name is on it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 09:00   #33
Resting in Peace

I wonder which Labour Councillor or candidate Ms Bloggs is
Old 19-03-2011, 06:55   #34
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I wonder which Labour Councillor or candidate Ms Bloggs is
If she is then I remain blissfully unaware!

Our lot tend not to skulk in the shadows....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 08:28   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
If she is then I remain blissfully unaware!

Our lot tend not to skulk in the shadows....
Ya I remember Robert Owen who turned out to be a senior Labour Councillor of many years standing
Old 21-03-2011, 22:50   #36

I swear I am in no way connected to the political partys, but I hear some of what goes on and get really angry.
Old 22-03-2011, 08:04   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Bloggs View Post
I swear I am in no way connected to the political partys, but I hear some of what goes on and get really angry.
Chill .... In the great scheme of things ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 01:34   #38
Senior Member+

cant see them closing down tbh.

not this soon

maybe in a year or two time if things stay the same.

asda at the moment i'd say has three/four times the custom tesco is getting. maybe more so.
Old 29-03-2011, 17:30   #39

The latest rumour is that Sainsbury's have put a bid in for it. But time will tell.
vicky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:16   #40
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky1 View Post
The latest rumour is that Sainsbury's have put a bid in for it. But time will tell.
The design and size of Accrington's Tesco is more or less the same as the recently opened Sainsbury's at Colne, hence the foundation for this latest rumour!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 18:58   #41
Give, give, give member

I think if they can afford a £1.5 (at least) million quid bung to H.B.C. to ensure their plans were passed, I'm sure they'll cope with a few relatively poor month's trading figures.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 19:39   #42
Senior Member+

Tesco live off the profit margins of 2000's they need to realise there plan is no longer sustainable and people are getting sick of Tesco towns.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 23:15   #43

Smile Re: Tesco Accrington

I have to give tesco credit for a nice building, it does look good and helps tidy up that part of town. Shopping there is a nice experience because its not really crowded, but there profit can't be great. I still prefer shopping "locally" tho, in the town center.
Old 30-03-2011, 23:42   #44
God Member

is the Tesco in Accy always very quiet? we went in Monday Afternoon just after 3 and there was about 5 people in, never seen a Tesco so empty
Old 30-03-2011, 23:45   #45

Up to now everytime weve been in it's been very quiet. Good for shopping not for profits.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..