Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2014, 17:19   #76
Beacon of light

Re: Testing the limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Antagonism? I don't feel any antagonism towards the simple soul, however you are quite correct the power is in his hands, he posts like a complete banker.
I was using his words...not mine Less.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2014, 17:22   #77
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Yes
I didn't put the bit about spears in I only italicised it.
You are grasping the wrong end of the stick/flagpole/spear.

I was complimenting the cannucks.
Ah, well now that makes sense.....now I know that you only italicised the words.
Thank you for your explanation...it is appreciated.
I was looking for something much deeper.....and missing it completely. Sometimes I need a light(but not for a fag).
Old 24-10-2014, 17:24   #78
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
How do you know I like to wear a cap,have you spotted me out and about?

Ok that's me done (for now).
Hahaha.....no I haven't seen you out and about.....and I'm sure you will be back.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 27-10-2014, 13:28   #79
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ah, well now that makes sense.....now I know that you only italicised the words.
Thank you for your explanation...it is appreciated.
I was looking for something much deeper.....and missing it completely. Sometimes I need a light(but not for a fag).
I'm not gonna italicise as I paraphrase James Cudmore's intelligent article in yesterday's Telegraph Margaret.

In Cold Lake Alberta home base to the CF-18 Hornets that flew out to help the campaign against ISIL the local mosque was graffitied with "Go Home" and "Canada" sprayed in red paint.
BUT
In a few hours this red paint was gone, neighbours scrubbed the walls clean and hung signs in nearby windows proclaiming "You are home" and "Love thy neighbour"

"A great response to the backwash from a lone wolf religious crack addict" says I

* Cudmore is a senior reporter for CNBC

Last edited by DtheP47; 27-10-2014 at 13:32. Reason: spelt the man's name wrong. doh!
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 13:50   #80
Beacon of light

And isn't that how it should be?

When I quoted the facts that we knew about this incident, nowhere did I say or imply that this was part of a terrorist plot......in fact I think that in one post I said the we did not know the motives or the metal state of the perpetrator of this act of violence.
See post 47.
Old 27-10-2014, 13:58   #81
Beacon of light

I have just read the James Cudmore article and it is balanced and fair......here it is for those who wish to read it.

Ottawa shooting: a city philosophically picks up the pieces - Telegraph
Old 27-10-2014, 16:23   #82
God Member

Quote:
I have just read the James Cudmore article and it is balanced and fair......here it is for those who wish to read it.
Maybe the article does paint an accurate portrait of what Canada is, and who Canadians are. Living here, one doesn't usually give a thought as to what we have. And most of the rest of this boisterous, troubled world puts us on "ignore."

You get into the habit of taking freedom and openness for granted. It's just there like the (sometimes frigid) air that we breathe. Maybe more people than me actually gave some thought to the fact that, whatever our problems and shortcomings, it don't get any better than it is right here at home.

Of course, it would be a bonus if the Leafs and the Jays could make the play offs once in a while.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 19:03   #83
Beacon of light

Eric, it is only people like you.....who are there, in the country where all this happened, who can actually say whether the article was an accurate portrayal.
All we over here can say is that it sounds about right....but we cannot know for sure.....without confirmation from someone who knows.
Old 27-10-2014, 19:20   #84
I am Banned

Would this happen here?

In a few hours this red paint was gone, neighbours scrubbed the walls clean and hung signs in nearby windows proclaiming "You are home" and "Love thy neighbour"
Old 27-10-2014, 19:41   #85
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: Testing the limits.

Quote:
Would this happen here?

We obviously don't know, it would be nice to think it would, but here is completely different from there.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 20:00   #86
Beacon of light

As Less says.....we really don't know......and the only way we would ever find out is if something similar were to happen here.......but oh yes, it did.....Lee Rigby.
How much condemnation of that violence was there from Muslim communities(there might have been some Muslim brothers wheeled out, but the sentiments didn't sound very heartfelt....it felt like lip service, but hey it isn't PC to say this is it?).....it wasn't red paint on the road, it was an off duty soldiers blood.
As I have said before the racial discrimination thing appears to be a one way street.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-10-2014 at 20:03.
Old 27-10-2014, 21:22   #87
I am Banned

Quote:
As Less says.....we really don't know......and the only way we would ever find out is if something similar were to happen here.......but oh yes, it did.....Lee Rigby.
How much condemnation of that violence was there from Muslim communities(there might have been some Muslim brothers wheeled out, but the sentiments didn't sound very heartfelt....it felt like lip service, but hey it isn't PC to say this is it?).....it wasn't red paint on the road, it was an off duty soldiers blood.
As I have said before the racial discrimination thing appears to be a one way street.
Well the mosaic that is on the frontage of the Jami mosque in Portsmouth saying "Peace is Better" for all to see seems pretty heartfelt to me, Margaret.
I suppose the counter argument supported by the pigs head impaled on the railings of the Islamic academy is the other side of the road?
Old 27-10-2014, 21:54   #88
Beacon of light

You can paint any slogan you want on any building(you can even have it in mosaic if you want)...but unless you follow it through with action that supports the slogan, they are just words.....hollow and empty.
Does Anjem Choudhary believe that peace is better?

If Islam is such a peaceful religion, why do the IS terrorists behead women and children?

Why did they seek out and kill members of the Yazidi tribe.....who were doing no harm?.....why do they kill followers of a different branch of Islam?.......and why are the Muslims in this country not shouting from the rooftops that this is not the Islamic way????
Too many questions, not enough answers.

As I have said in the past, during my working life I have worked alongside people of all creeds, all colours.
I have got along with them. We had the same sense of purpose.....to ease pain, to offer support, to send people back out to their lives healed and well again.

I have no axe to grind with people who come here to work, to add to the fabric of our communities.....to accept that they chose to come here because life would be better for them and their families.
But when these people then decide that they want to perpetrate harm on their adopted country......tolerance wears a bit thin.....the tolerance that is not afforded to Christians in some Muslim countries.

So forgive me for being cynical about the peace slogan on the mosque in some other part of the UK.
davemac likes this.
Old 28-10-2014, 00:22   #89
I am Banned

Have a read of the facebook pages of "British Muslims against Anjem Choudary Margaret.
You may find some answers to your questions there.
https://www.facebook.com/BritishMusl...tAnjemChoudary
Old 28-10-2014, 06:12   #90
Beacon of light

Quote:
Have a read of the facebook pages of "British Muslims against Anjem Choudary Margaret.
You may find some answers to your questions there.
https://www.facebook.com/BritishMusl...tAnjemChoudary
How many are there writing stuff on Facebook? Not as many as are resident in this country...the country that educates them, looks after their health and well being......pays benefits to those who are not employed.......and still they take arms against us.
As I said previously, empty words.......lip service, a bit like the politicos....what they think we want to hear.
Actions cut it words do not.
And I cannot read Facebook, I do not have an account.....do not want an account, will not get an account until hell freezes over.
When I see these same Muslims marching with placards, stopping their sons from going to fight jihad.....when Muslim clerics stop preaching that white women are for the sexual exploitation of Muslim men because they are white trash.....THEN I will believe that Muslims want no part in what is going on in Syria and Iraq, that they have an allegiance to the land they chose to,come to

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 28-10-2014 at 06:18.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..