Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Margaret Thatcher get a State Funeral
Yes , she deserves it 21 33.87%
No , she divided the country 14 22.58%
she should be burnt as a witch 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 21:30   #16
Loz

Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

I don't think its to do with 10 years service.
Churchill was in office for 9 years in total.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:30   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Respect her for making the rich richer and the poor poorer?

I think what Andrewb was saying was that he hopes no-one is disrespectful at the funeral.

No-one should be disrespectful or cause trouble at a funeral.

If you don't like someone and don't respect them then you should stay away from their funeral not go and cause trouble.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:31   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
I don't think its to do with 10 years service.
Churchill was in office for 9 years in total.
On what grounds then, would she get a state funeral?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:31   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I have no problem with her receiving a state funeral. I just hope those who disagree with her are respectful.
i'll give the bitch the same respect she gave the miners. churchill tory or not was a differant matter, as west ender says,was a great war time leader, is not fitting fer other PMs in my book,no matter which party they hail from.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:31   #20
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes he should and the sooner the better for leaving us with this idiot in charge.
LOL!
Karma on the way for making me laugh!
Old 14-07-2008, 21:31   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I think what Andrewb was saying was that he hopes no-one is disrespectful at the funeral.

If you don't like someone and don't respect them then you should stay away from their funeral not go and cause trouble.
the miners wont be seen causing trouble

they will tunnel from underneath and steal the coffin then dance on it for a while and put it back before anyone notices a thing

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:33   #22
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I have no idea i'm afraid.
Maybe andrewb can enlighten us?
Old 14-07-2008, 21:33   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
the miners wont be seen causing trouble

they will tunnel from underneath and steal the coffin then dance on it for a while and put it back before anyone notices a thing
I have a hunch that Margaret Thatcher's coffin will be under very tight security.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:34   #24
Loz

Quote:

I wasn't suggesting people be disrespectful at her funeral.
I just don't respect her at all.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:35   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I have no problem with her receiving a state funeral. I just hope those who disagree with her are respectful.
I don't think there will be any 'dis-respect ' shown , maybe one or two street parties in various part of the country , which probably be described in the Tory press as 'funeral teas' where the celebrants were overcome with grief
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:40   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I've done a bit of googling and it seems that state funerals are normally reserved for Sovereigns.

However, a few others have had them. Charles Darwin was one and the most recent was Winston Churchill in 1965.

It seems that permission has to be given from the monarch.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:41   #27
God Member

The article gives us lots of detail about protocol and planning, but precious little about why she deserves the funeral .... she won three elections, and won the Falklands War .... not really all that much is it .... it's like saying that Jean Chretien, a former Canadian PM, deserves a state funeral because he never lost an election, and he kept us out of Iraq .... sure she was a major figure in World Politics, but is that what state funerals are supposed to recognize? Nelson I can understand, Wellington too, not so sure about Palmerston (although he did give the world gunboat diplomacy), Gladstone, maybe, and Churchill I can understand.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:43   #28
God Member

Quote:
I have a hunch that Margaret Thatcher's coffin will be under very tight security.
Just in case she gets the lid open and climbs back out
Old 14-07-2008, 21:45   #29
God Member

No doubt the funeral will be well attended .... give the people what they want and they will turn out in droves
Old 14-07-2008, 21:46   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just in case she gets the lid open and climbs back out
No, to stop the nutters getting to her like they did with Eva Peron in Argentina.

Poor old Eva had to be buried about 200 ft down because the nutters kept trying to dig her up.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..