Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Margaret Thatcher get a State Funeral
Yes , she deserves it 21 33.87%
No , she divided the country 14 22.58%
she should be burnt as a witch 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 21:46   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
The article gives us lots of detail about protocol and planning, but precious little about why she deserves the funeral .... she won three elections, and won the Falklands War .... not really all that much is it .... it's like saying that Jean Chretien, a former Canadian PM, deserves a state funeral because he never lost an election, and he kept us out of Iraq .... sure she was a major figure in World Politics, but is that what state funerals are supposed to recognize? Nelson I can understand, Wellington too, not so sure about Palmerston (although he did give the world gunboat diplomacy), Gladstone, maybe, and Churchill I can understand.
now eric she did sink the "Belgrano" a ship out of territorial waters n sailing in the opposite direction.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:47   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
now eric she did sink the "Belgrano" a ship out of territorial waters n sailing in the opposite direction.
Later revealed that it was turning around to come back in and shoot. Thankfully she used her judgment and saved our boys.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:07   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Later revealed that it was turning around to come back in and shoot. Thankfully she used her judgment and saved our boys.
you believe that, i believe the documentary i watched years after.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:30   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
At teh time I didn't agree with her policies but I admire teh fact that she stood up for this country and her beliefs rather than turning turtle at the first sign of trouble that teh Labour gov have done ever since.

yep, give teh old girl a send off.
I remember in 1958 in the Brittania Club in Singapore which is opposite the Raffles Hotel, some American GI's made a reference to our Sovereign Lady, The Queen, To use their words would be a 'Good lay'.
That was an insult to our Queen and the servicemen who were serving in the theatre at the time.
If an American comments on the ways that the ordinary Brit spends his life or selects his politics, it goes against the grain and we will retaliate.
I have never seen Americans back out of a situation so fast when the British Servicemen threw each and everyone of the GI'S in the swimming pool with a warning that if they came out of the drink with the same opinion, god help them.
Our Politics are different from our 'Friends' from over the pond and I would say to them: Kiss my Arse Uncle Sam.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:30   #35
God Member

Quote:
As far as I remember, the Belgrano was a little long in the tooth wasn't she ... WWll vintage ... the phrase "sitting duck" comes to mind
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:34   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As far as I remember, the Belgrano was a little long in the tooth wasn't she ... WWll vintage ... the phrase "sitting duck" comes to mind
yep but no doubt cyfr will bull it up to have been a " Top Destroyer"
Old 14-07-2008, 22:34   #37
God Member

I know there was respect shown for Churchill even though many people did not like him as PM after the war.... but for Thatcher?.. the only ones showing respect will be the right wing Tory brigade.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:36   #38
Give, give, give member

Personally I don't think she should recieve a State Funeral.

That honour should go to the last veteran of World War I, and then only if he wants it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:36   #39
God Member

Quote:

what a load of twaddle ,can a tory actualy do wrong or are you prepared to say anything no matter how stupid to defend one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:36   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I know there was respect shown for Churchill even though many people did not like him as PM after the war.... but for Thatcher?.. the only ones showing respect will be the right wing Tory brigade.
also the jam butty estate 10 bob millionaires.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:36   #41
God Member

I hope not many show up to line the streets, just to show how wrong they are to do this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:38   #42
God Member

Quote:
yep but no doubt cyfr will bull it up to have been a " Top Destroyer"
Belgrano was given orders to attack our boys, they invaded our islands, our people, they were the foreign aggressors.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:40   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Belgrano was given orders to attack our boys, they invaded our islands, our people, they were the foreign aggressors.
dream on fruitcake.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:41   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I remember in 1958 in the Brittania Club in Singapore which is opposite the Raffles Hotel, some American GI's made a reference to our Sovereign Lady, The Queen, To use their words would be a 'Good lay'.
That was an insult to our Queen and the servicemen who were serving in the theatre at the time.
If an American comments on the ways that the ordinary Brit spends his life or selects his politics, it goes against the grain and we will retaliate.
I have never seen Americans back out of a situation so fast when the British Servicemen threw each and everyone of the GI'S in the swimming pool with a warning that if they came out of the drink with the same opinion, god help them.
Our Politics are different from our 'Friends' from over the pond and I would say to them: Kiss my Arse Uncle Sam.
With a little change in the spelling, we say the same thing to our neighbours all the time .... we did it when GW asked us to become involved in Iraq .... But I seem to remember that Maggie had her head so far up Ronny Raygun's ass that they both ate from the same plate ... I don't think that this is a good reason for a State Funeral, but, no doubt it will be talked about as "establishing closer ties with the great democracy across the Atlantic".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 22:42   #45
God Member

Quote:
dream on fruitcake.
Sorry please correct me if I'm wrong.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..