Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should Margaret Thatcher get a State Funeral
Yes , she deserves it 21 33.87%
No , she divided the country 14 22.58%
she should be burnt as a witch 27 43.55%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 23:01   #61
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I remember in 1958 in the Brittania Club in Singapore which is opposite the Raffles Hotel, some American GI's made a reference to our Sovereign Lady, The Queen, To use their words would be a 'Good lay'.
That was an insult to our Queen and the servicemen who were serving in the theatre at the time.
If an American comments on the ways that the ordinary Brit spends his life or selects his politics, it goes against the grain and we will retaliate.
I have never seen Americans back out of a situation so fast when the British Servicemen threw each and everyone of the GI'S in the swimming pool with a warning that if they came out of the drink with the same opinion, god help them.
Our Politics are different from our 'Friends' from over the pond and I would say to them: Kiss my Arse Uncle Sam.
You mean this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brit.jpg (297.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 14-07-2008, 23:04   #62
God Member

Re: Thatcher to get State funeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Andrew, I think you are defending your views from commited Star or Mirror readers. This is cover up for the balls that the Labour Government are making in our country at the moment. I look at the smile of Hazel Blears and the 'Ive lost it gaze of Gordon Brown' I think we can look forward to a new lease of life under a new Tory Government in the very near future.
Take all the flack you have to, but stand by what you believe in and smile if anyone offends you. Thats politics.
Do they only sell the daily mail in spain?... your just trying to cause conflict were there is none ..my son
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:06   #63
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Actually 6 (yes)
add 3 (No)

equals 9

Which is 2 more than those supporting the burning

Hey ... this is a democratic forum, and with democracy these days you don't need a majority of the popular vote to win ... a plurality is good enough.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:06   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Do they only sell the daily mail in spain?... your just trying to cause conflict were there is none ..my son
'Sell' The Daily Mail? Surely they have to give it away - even in Spain?
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:07   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
jambutty is spot on, i said that earlier, but cyfr does not wish to here that.
She was ordered to attack us. Your gonna have to do better that her facing the other way sorry!
Old 14-07-2008, 23:07   #66
Resting in Peace

I liked Maggie .. could understand what she had to say put in a straightforward manner. What Prime Minister would not have gone in to defend the Falklands .. proud we did that for our people out there, even though caused some loss of life, to me was a just cause, unlike where are troops are being sent now.

As for a state funeral, not sure really .. maybe not, would set some sort of prerogative. Wouldn't vote on this poll anyway .. don't like the way the questions are put. Which Prime Minister does not divide a country anyway ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:08   #67
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you believe that, i believe the documentary i watched years after.

I don't care where the ship was we were at war with them. I still think we should have been bombing military bases in Argentina. Might have well made use of those Polaris missiles before we ditched them.

No point in having a nuclear deterant in someone comes along and still attacks soveriegn soil.

Last edited by Neil; 14-07-2008 at 23:10.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:09   #68
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
As far as I remember, the Belgrano was a little long in the tooth wasn't she ... WWll vintage ... the phrase "sitting duck" comes to mind
When a six inch shell comes whizzing at you it matters not that it was fired from an old gun. She was perfectly capable of doing a lot of damage to our fleet had she got closer. As it is the point became academic because we got clobbered with Exocet missiles supplied by our friends on the other side of the channel – the French.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARA_General_Belgrano#General_history
Old 14-07-2008, 23:10   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Hey ... this is a democratic forum, and with democracy these days you don't need a majority of the popular vote to win ... a plurality is good enough.
You have missed the point totally.
One section cannot be in the lead if the sum total of other sections is higher than the first stated. Simple, elementary statistics
To analyse data one must look beyond the obvious
Old 14-07-2008, 23:15   #70
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I was under the impression that this was proved by previously unseen documents a year or two ago. That the Belgrano was under orders to attack, and that she was turning around to come back.
Of course the Belgrano was under orders to attack otherwise there was no point in the ship being at sea. That’s what warships do. But at the time she was torpedoed there is no doubt that she was steaming away from conflict.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:17   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Of course the Belgrano was under orders to attack otherwise there was no point in the ship being at sea. That’s what warships do. But at the time she was torpedoed there is no doubt that she was steaming away from conflict.
You are much better to answer this than me:

If we were in range to attack the Belgrano does this mean it was in range to attack us? Could it have attacked whilst sailing away, if not, how long would it take to turn around into a position it could attack from, and how long would our ship have had to react to that?
Old 14-07-2008, 23:19   #72
Apprentice Geriatric

I voted NO!

She did do some good stuff but her bad stuff outweighed the good.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:26   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
I voted NO!

She did do some good stuff but her bad stuff outweighed the good.
I agree that she what she did was certainly not all for the good, but she didnt sit on her backsided, she did something and everything she did was done with conviction and, in her mind, for the greater good.
Her politics were motivated by pure conviction, not like so many oof todays politician who dont seem to have a belief in their whole body

Footnote: I have just thought of something Maggie did and for which I shall be eternally grateful to her - she abolished free school milk, such a relief to an 8 year old

Last edited by polly; 14-07-2008 at 23:30.
Old 14-07-2008, 23:29   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
You are much better to answer this than me:

If we were in range to attack the Belgrano does this mean it was in range to attack us? Could it have attacked whilst sailing away, if not, how long would it take to turn around into a position it could attack from, and how long would our ship have had to react to that?

from what i remember the belgranos weapons were not good enough to hit our ship at the distance it was away but our weapons were better and could cover the distance so we sank a retreating ship

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 23:38   #75
God Member

From what I've seen printed , and seen on docu's the Belgrano was ill equiped with firepower..but the captian of the British sub asked for permission to attack..this was war..most PM's would have given permission to attack..to say "Maggie" saved our boys is not real.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..