Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2014, 19:33   #16
Always EVIL within us

Re: That's HOT

- - - Spoiling my game of on-line scrabble. The guy I am playing is a park warden & instead of concentrating on the important things in life like scrabble, he is out fighting bush fires!
Old 20-01-2014, 16:16   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Btw, yesterday Adelaide had the dubious honour of being the hottest city in the world....
Here's something you'll never see when you look down your street ... wanna trade, eh?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (474.7 KB, 19 views)
dotti34 likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 17:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Here's something you'll never see when you look down your street ... wanna trade, eh?
Yes, I know what you mean Eric. I'm sick of shovelling the stuff too! Just off out to do some more
Eric likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 17:32   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Yes, I know what you mean Eric. I'm sick of shovelling the stuff too! Just off out to do some more
Me, I'm all done ... looks like the snow is gone for a couple of days ... downside is that it's going to get bloody cold again Ah well, spring is just around the corner ... I just wish that the corner wasn't so bleeping far away. But now that I'm all done shovelling, I can relax with a mug of hot choc laced with Fireball, and a home rolled organic cigarette. And I've had my share of exercise and very fresh air for the day.
dotti34 and Turtle like this.
Old 20-01-2014, 17:39   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
At least Accrington will never have a hose pipe ban.
If there is one thing you can guarantee, its plenty of rain.
Yeh aint been around long enough Davo, Had em in the past.
Old 20-01-2014, 20:08   #21

It makes a beautiful picture, Eric, but you can keep that weather - not my cup-of-tea. I still remember the ice and snow when growing up in Lancashire. Oh! the pain of fingers thawing out and all that....but have to admit I also had lots of fun as a kid playing in the snow - making the most of it, sledging down the slopes, snowballing - almost compensated the other side of it. Memories!!!! Kids are resilient - don't think I could hack it now, and certainly not as severe as you have it.

Still you have to learn to adjust and cope - sounds like you do both these things admirably, I love the way you relax - should be more of it......

By the way, I think your picture would make a nice postcard - but as far as I'm concerned that's the place it belongs......
Turtle likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 21:06   #22
God Member

Quote:
It makes a beautiful picture, Eric, but you can keep that weather - not my cup-of-tea. I still remember the ice and snow when growing up in Lancashire. Oh! the pain of fingers thawing out and all that....but have to admit I also had lots of fun as a kid playing in the snow - making the most of it, sledging down the slopes, snowballing - almost compensated the other side of it. Memories!!!! Kids are resilient - don't think I could hack it now, and certainly not as severe as you have it.

Still you have to learn to adjust and cope - sounds like you do both these things admirably, I love the way you relax - should be more of it......

By the way, I think your picture would make a nice postcard - but as far as I'm concerned that's the place it belongs......
Canadians are good at coping with winter ... one might not like it all that much, but, like it or not, you know it's coming. And there are lots of neat ways of staying warm. Here's one: the boys from Calgary and Vancouver warming up for a hockey game. This all broke out at the opening face off. Just the lads getting in the mood for a good game of hockey.

Old 20-01-2014, 21:06   #23

Quote:

I agree with you Dotti, the snow is better on postcards. Still, as I was shovelling the driveway today, I saw how pretty it looked, sparkling in the sun. The birds were singing, (well, one shivering woodpecker anyway) and my spirits rose for a mo. Eric's right, we're in for some nasty cold temps. over here the next few days. Bring on Spring, I say!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 22:15   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I agree with you Dotti, the snow is better on postcards. Still, as I was shovelling the driveway today, I saw how pretty it looked, sparkling in the sun. The birds were singing, (well, one shivering woodpecker anyway) and my spirits rose for a mo. Eric's right, we're in for some nasty cold temps. over here the next few days. Bring on Spring, I say!
Yup ... when the snow left and the sun came out, it sure was beautiful. I have a bird feeder, and the tree near it was covered in sparrows ... they were too busy fluffing out to do much singing A couple of them also provided nice snacks for a hawk that has been hanging around the neighbourhood. I had some shopping to do; so, I walked up to the local Tigre Geant and the El Cabo ... all kinds of people out walking, well bundled of course. Everyone seemed cheerful ... calling out things like, "Nice day, eh." (Go figure, eh), and "Cold enough fer ya". Extreme winter weather might be a pain in the ass; but we handle it ... 'cause we're Canadians, eh.

Day after day of temps in the mid forties? I don't think I would like that. It's going to be at best -30 tonite. But I'll put on my winter coat, wear my mad trapper hat ... oh, and long johns ... and I'll be nice and comfy when the dogs take me for a walk. But at 40 plus, how do you get comfy

I think the Aussies have it tougher than we do.
Turtle likes this.

Last edited by Eric; 20-01-2014 at 22:19.
Old 20-01-2014, 23:15   #25

How do we do it? - same as you, Eric, we handle it as best we can. It passes. Anyway it is lovely right now in the Adelaide area - around the 30 mark. It was only in the 40's for a few days.

Just wish in the heat-wave that people wouldn't keep saying that it's hot, like you don't know it is - of course it's bleeding hot - get over it and keep on keeping on.

Mind you, I think we are bringing up a generation of wimps who wouldn't have survived had they lived in the time of the pioneers and had to put up with conditions as they were then - and in the scheme of things, when you think of it, that's not that long ago.
Old 20-01-2014, 23:41   #26
God Member

Quote:

Mind you, I think we are bringing up a generation of wimps who wouldn't have survived had they lived in the time of the pioneers
Or growing up in Lancashire in the 40s and 50s
Old 21-01-2014, 00:01   #27

Well, I survived that - so I guess that prepared me for anything and everything.....possibly the same applies to you.
Old 21-01-2014, 00:05   #28

Though I suspect you are a spring chicken when compared to this old chook....
Eric likes this.
Old 21-01-2014, 00:21   #29
God Member

Quote:
Though I suspect you are a spring chicken when compared to this old chook....
Hey, I wore clogs
Old 21-01-2014, 01:48   #30

...and so did I - hand-made by Thornbers in Clitheroe - if I remember the name rightly, though that's not to say I have (remembered the name, that is - it's that age thing, which btw I milk for all it's worth!).

Brings back memories - I had a pair of blue ones, very sturdy - made to last forever. Also remember the boys making sparks with theirs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..