Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2014, 12:30   #31
God Member

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Also remember the boys making sparks with theirs.
I remember that ... now that was HOT It sure sharpened up the old clog irons ... remember cutting myself badly one time ... problem is that it wore out the clog irons real quick; and in those tough times new irons were quite a drain on the old family budget ... the punishment I got for wearing them out too quickly was to have rubber ones put on. Oh, the shame of it, the embarassment I can't remember the name of the clogger who made mine ... he had his shop on Barnes St., up on the left hand side towards the Square, near the chemist's shop ... Even though I can't remember the name, I can remember how it looked, and the smell of the wood and the leather.

Nice and cool here ... a balmy -35.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2014, 13:02   #32
God Member

This is definitely NOT HOT ... although buddy seems to be enjoying the weather

Polar vortex chill is back for Central, Eastern Canada - Canada - CBC News
Old 23-01-2014, 07:40   #33

Ahhhh,Dotti......clogs.
Remember them well, and yes I was one of the naughty boys who liked to make sparks
Yep,I grew up in the 50's and 60's and it didn't do me much harm.
When the snow was around,sledging down Carter St was the go until the council came along and spoiled all your fun.
Kids these days seem to spend most of their time indoors with their eyes glued to a screen.
Give me the "good old days" any time.

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:37   #34

How's your weather now, Eric and Turtle? Hope it's on the improve. Also hope all of you in the UK are enjoying a bit better weather than you have been having.
Here in good old South Australia we are facing another week or so of predicted high temperatures - around the 40 mark each day.
Still it is summer - so it's more-or-less what we can expect.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 11:41   #35

Quote:
How's your weather now, Eric and Turtle? Hope it's on the improve. Also hope all of you in the UK are enjoying a bit better weather than you have been having.
Here in good old South Australia we are facing another week or so of predicted high temperatures - around the 40 mark each day.
Hi Dotti, thanks for asking. It's not great over here - minus 15 Celsius and a just a bit of snow falling at the moment, but it's blowing sideways. They're telling us that this is the worst winter in decades for these parts, and I'm starting to believe them! We expect winter to be like this, but by the end of January, for me it's wearing a bit thin. I think the hardest part is knowing that before you go out, you spend maybe 5 minutes getting all your cold weather clobber on (toque, double gloves, boots, parka, scarf etc.) Then you have to dig a path to your car and shovel the driveway (in my case I do my elderly neighbour's driveway too). Then because hubby has his pride-and-joy-convertible-summer-driving-only car in the garage, I have to get all the snow off the car left in the driveway before warming it up enough to drive away. And that's hoping the roads have been ploughed, at least enough that I can make it up the many hills in my area. We always study the weather reports before making any long trips in winter, as getting stuck or worse could be disastrous. I think you get the idea!
While 40 degree temps. are a little extreme for me, I'm sure you too have to plan your outings but from the reverse perspective.
Eric and dotti34 like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 12:41   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Hi Dotti, thanks for asking. It's not great over here - minus 15 Celsius and a just a bit of snow falling at the moment, but it's blowing sideways. They're telling us that this is the worst winter in decades for these parts, and I'm starting to believe them! We expect winter to be like this, but by the end of January, for me it's wearing a bit thin. I think the hardest part is knowing that before you go out, you spend maybe 5 minutes getting all your cold weather clobber on (toque, double gloves, boots, parka, scarf etc.) Then you have to dig a path to your car and shovel the driveway (in my case I do my elderly neighbour's driveway too). Then because hubby has his pride-and-joy-convertible-summer-driving-only car in the garage, I have to get all the snow off the car left in the driveway before warming it up enough to drive away. And that's hoping the roads have been ploughed, at least enough that I can make it up the many hills in my area. We always study the weather reports before making any long trips in winter, as getting stuck or worse could be disastrous. I think you get the idea!
While 40 degree temps. are a little extreme for me, I'm sure you too have to plan your outings but from the reverse perspective.
Ditto. Although my convertible has only two wheels.
Turtle likes this.
Old 27-01-2014, 13:25   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Ditto. Although my convertible has only two wheels.
We used to have one of those too - I loved it! An 1100cc Honda Shadow 1986 vintage. It's gone now, (sniff!) replaced by a four wheeled thingy.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 13:28   #38
Full Member+

Well the natives are going crazy in South Georgia.....
reason we are "suppose" to get up to 2" of snow
Eric likes this.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 14:06   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
We used to have one of those too - I loved it! An 1100cc Honda Shadow 1986 vintage. It's gone now, (sniff!) replaced by a four wheeled thingy.
Aww ... but a Honda Here are my rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (568.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (577.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 27-01-2014, 14:35   #40
God Member

Quote:
Hey there hon ... weather is grrreat ... drop over ... I'll put a bunch of moose steaks on the barbie ... as soon as I get it cleared off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 006.jpg (520.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (515.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (281.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (243.5 KB, 12 views)
dotti34 and Turtle like this.
Old 27-01-2014, 14:39   #41
Beacon of light

Great pics Eric...at least you have blue skies.
I like the bike too. That takes me back to my younger days - my other half had a BSA 500 Goldstar(I think he said it was a Goldstar - whatever, it was nippy).
Turtle likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 15:08   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
at least you have blue skies.

Blue skies at this time of year are not always good news ... often means cold front and Arctic air mass.

Alerts: Kingston, Ontario: Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands - The Weather Network

At least Teela ... still timid and demanding at the same time ... is warm and safe
Old 27-01-2014, 16:20   #43
Beacon of light

Thank goodness you took in that little lady Eric.....the poor cat would have froze to death.

It has been very grey and very wet here. I could cope better with winter if we had more light.
The grey days make me want to hibernate and gorge on carbs.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 19:22   #44

It's surprising how we all manage to get through the extremes. Bit tough here today though for the kids going back to school after the long summer break, especially the little ones just starting school and pre-school for the first time.
I would say that most schools here are air-conditioned now, it's just the journey getting there and especially getting back home again in the heat of the day that will be the challenge.
Things have changed a lot over the years. When my oldest son was in Junior School (a lot of years ago now) the classroom didn't have a/c - not even a fan - and when it was hot his teacher would tell the students to take off their shoes and socks, she would throw water on the wooden floor and tell them to walk about on it - and that was the way they cooled off!!!!
Children are very resilient - they'll cope, it's the adults who do the most complaining.
Old 27-01-2014, 19:32   #45

I do feel for the firefighters - these brave men and women, many of whom are volunteers, are on stand-by, red alert. Total fire bans throughout the State. Extreme fire danger in many areas - catastrophic in some (this being the highest category).

So that is definitely a section of the community hoping for a cooler change.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..