Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2014, 20:42   #46
God Member

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
It's surprising how we all manage to get through the extremes. Bit tough here today though for the kids going back to school after the long summer break, especially the little ones just starting school and pre-school for the first time.
I would say that most schools here are air-conditioned now, it's just the journey getting there and especially getting back home again in the heat of the day that will be the challenge.
Things have changed a lot over the years. When my oldest son was in Junior School (a lot of years ago now) the classroom didn't have a/c - not even a fan - and when it was hot his teacher would tell the students to take off their shoes and socks, she would throw water on the wooden floor and tell them to walk about on it - and that was the way they cooled off!!!!
Children are very resilient - they'll cope, it's the adults who do the most complaining.
Bit different here in god's country ... we've had quite a few days when exposed flesh freezes in about 10 minutes. But the kids bundle up and head out for school. Here, many of us get out and enjoy the winter ... might as well, eh. My neighbour, who is, believe it or not, older than I am, and I got together to do our shovelling today ... his wife brought out mugs of hot chocolate which was probably more than half sambuca

And our winter festival, Febfest, begins soon.

Welcome to Feb Fest, Kingston ON, Canada

If you want to take in the action:

https://www.cityofkingston.ca/explor...-square/webcam

It all happens here.
shillelagh and Turtle like this.

Last edited by Eric; 27-01-2014 at 20:45.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-01-2014, 20:49   #47

Love the photos and all the comments. Have a great picture in my mind of you, Turtle, all bundled up. Eric, do moose steaks taste anything like kangaroo? Or is that a different flavour altogether? Can't beat the good old barbie for a decent feed.
Turtle likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 21:37   #48
Beacon of light

Quote:
It's surprising how we all manage to get through the extremes. Bit tough here today though for the kids going back to school after the long summer break, especially the little ones just starting school and pre-school for the first time.
I would say that most schools here are air-conditioned now, it's just the journey getting there and especially getting back home again in the heat of the day that will be the challenge.
Things have changed a lot over the years. When my oldest son was in Junior School (a lot of years ago now) the classroom didn't have a/c - not even a fan - and when it was hot his teacher would tell the students to take off their shoes and socks, she would throw water on the wooden floor and tell them to walk about on it - and that was the way they cooled off!!!!
Children are very resilient - they'll cope, it's the adults who do the most complaining.
My husband and I spent a number of years wintering(our winter - not yours) in Oz. We would put plastic juice bottles in the freezer to take to bed with us to stay cool enough to sleep...and put damp socks in the fridge and put them on before going to bed...they were dry by morning.
The house we stayed in had no aircon back then(80's).

Yes Dotti, those volunteer firefighters do a brilliant job.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 02:36   #49

[Quote Margaret Pilkington] My husband and I spent a number of years wintering(our winter - not yours) in Oz. We would put plastic juice bottles in the freezer to take to bed with us to stay cool enough to sleep...and put damp socks in the fridge and put them on before going to bed...they were dry by morning.

Had to smile when I read this, Margaret. Brought back memories of some of the things we did to keep the kids cool in the heat. We didn't have air-con either (nor fans for a long time - but fans only circulate the warm/hot air anyway).

One thing I used to do - and which you reminded me about - was, while they were cooling off under the shower, I would put their clothes in the fridge or freezer so they were nice and cold when they put them on (though not for long!).

Sometimes slept outdoors - could then, wouldn't risk it now though.
Surprising how you get through.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 03:31   #50
God Member

Quote:
[Quote Margaret Pilkington] My husband and I spent a number of years wintering(our winter - not yours) in Oz. We would put plastic juice bottles in the freezer to take to bed with us to stay cool enough to sleep...and put damp socks in the fridge and put them on before going to bed...they were dry by morning.

Had to smile when I read this, Margaret. Brought back memories of some of the things we did to keep the kids cool in the heat. We didn't have air-con either (nor fans for a long time - but fans only circulate the warm/hot air anyway).

One thing I used to do - and which you reminded me about - was, while they were cooling off under the shower, I would put their clothes in the fridge or freezer so they were nice and cold when they put them on (though not for long!).

Sometimes slept outdoors - could then, wouldn't risk it now though.
Surprising how you get through.
It's about 30 below right now but I'm nice and toasty And when I go for my dog walk, I'll put on my spook toque, hitch up my long johns, pull on my boots, put on my winter coat, and I'll be comfortable. I still think that the cold and snow, even as rough it has been this winter, is much easier to deal with than the heat ... and we do get our fair share of that in summer, although it is always a little cooler by the lake. If it weren't for the [deleted] shovelling, I'd be a happy mother.
Old 28-01-2014, 17:52   #51
God Member

From what I read, parts of Australia are about to be hit by another heat wave. The winter olympics begin on February 7. So you could always crank up the AC, turn on the big screen, grab a cold brewskie, and watch the Canadians clean up on the medals.

Seems like we are going to have a break from the deep freeze this weekend ... Up to about -5 ... shorts and t-shirt weather
Old 28-01-2014, 17:59   #52
Senior Member+

Sooner or latter your all doomed ha ha ha - floods - freezing - snow - wind and rain! The weather is getting more adverse all over the place.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 18:18   #53
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Sooner or latter your all doomed ha ha ha - floods - freezing - snow - wind and rain! The weather is getting more adverse all over the place.
Thank you for sharing this; however, I've already seen the movie
Old 28-01-2014, 18:29   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Thank you for sharing this; however, I've already seen the movie
...and I've read some of the book
Angels Don't Play This Haarp: Advances in Tesla Technology: Nick Begich, Jeane Manning: 9780964881204: Amazon.com: Books

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 19:47   #55
Full Member+

Quote:
It's about 30 below right now but I'm nice and toasty And when I go for my dog walk, I'll put on my spook toque, hitch up my long johns, pull on my boots, put on my winter coat, and I'll be comfortable. I still think that the cold and snow, even as rough it has been this winter, is much easier to deal with than the heat ... and we do get our fair share of that in summer, although it is always a little cooler by the lake. If it weren't for the [deleted] shovelling, I'd be a happy mother.
Hope your dog has a warm coat and long John's too Eric.
Old 28-01-2014, 20:04   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
No long johns But she has a beautiful, warm winter coat, purple with reflecting stripes. It's lined and waterproof.
westendlass likes this.
Old 28-01-2014, 22:19   #57
God Member

Quote:
Here she is ... all ready to brave the elements. Not my best effort ... altho' I'm not an eggspurt ... note the bag of cat food for the feral cats, one of which hangs out under the porch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (286.7 KB, 16 views)
cashman, Stevie R and Turtle like this.

Last edited by Eric; 28-01-2014 at 22:23.
Old 29-01-2014, 09:29   #58
Full Member+

Quote:
Here she is ... all ready to brave the elements. Not my best effort ... altho' I'm not an eggspurt ... note the bag of cat food for the feral cats, one of which hangs out under the porch.
She looks nice and toastie Eric, love her little beard!
Old 29-01-2014, 14:15   #59
God Member

Quote:
She looks nice and toastie Eric, love her little beard!
She's due for a trip to the beauty parlour, but not until it warms up a tad. And then she will look HOT. Gotta keep on topic.
Turtle likes this.
Old 29-01-2014, 14:21   #60

Quote:
Love the photos and all the comments. Have a great picture in my mind of you, Turtle, all bundled up. Eric, do moose steaks taste anything like kangaroo? Or is that a different flavour altogether? Can't beat the good old barbie for a decent feed.
In previous winters we've BBQd all throughout the winter due to lack of snow. This year however, it's buried in the stuff, just like Eric's!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..