Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-01-2014, 14:02   #61
God Member

Re: That's HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Love the photos and all the comments. Have a great picture in my mind of you, Turtle, all bundled up. Eric, do moose steaks taste anything like kangaroo? Or is that a different flavour altogether? Can't beat the good old barbie for a decent feed.
Moose tastes a lot like deer But it does depend on the age of the animal and how quickly it bled out ... usually strong tasting, with a hint of horse ... kinda like a cross between bison and elk, if that helps.

And "yes", believe it or not, I have tasted kangaroo. One can get it in Kingston at a great butchers, "The Pig and Olive" owned by Aussie Al, who comes from down under and, by the by, prefers up over (that's us). He's a real butcher ... none of that supermarket junk that is little better than shoe leather.

Pig & Olive - Kingston - Home

So you see, we are civilised up here
dotti34 likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-01-2014, 14:12   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
In previous winters we've BBQd all throughout the winter due to lack of snow. This year however, it's buried in the stuff, just like Eric's!
We had a winter like that a couple of years back ... I and a buddy of mine went for a ride on Christmas day ... not on the Harley, but on a Yammahammer 650, 1978 vintage ... nice bike, for jap scrap. On the bright side, all this snow should bring up the water level on the Great Lakes ... and, it's good for the farmers.

Oh, and it's still snowing ... heavy squalls off the lake, with high winds and temps around -20.
Turtle likes this.
Old 29-01-2014, 15:24   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We had a winter like that a couple of years back ... I and a buddy of mine went for a ride on Christmas day ... not on the Harley, but on a Yammahammer 650, 1978 vintage ... nice bike, for jap scrap. On the bright side, all this snow should bring up the water level on the Great Lakes ... and, it's good for the farmers.

Oh, and it's still snowing ... heavy squalls off the lake, with high winds and temps around -20.
Last year we took the convertible for a run on New Years Eve - top up, of course! Based on that experience we decided to keep the battery in it this year, and run it every couple of weeks to keep the oil flowing and the tires round. But so far, we've had to back it's bum end out of the garage, and run the engine a while. Can't wait til the summer comes, and the weather is nice and HOT! (also an attempt to keep on thread
dotti34 likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 19:13   #64

Have never tasted bison or elk, Eric, but I can understand now what moose tastes like. Thought it might be something like that.

Kangaroo tail soup is very tasty - but there's a bit of preparation to do with the tail before you can use it (apart from cutting it off - thought I'd get that one in first!!!). I think the steak tastes best when it's marinated for a while before cooking. Have tried emu steak - I didn't like it but him indoors did.

Isn't it strange - the kangaroo is on our coat-of-arms and yet to farmers it's a pest. We skin it and we eat it (or use it for pet food). To some people here Ned Kelly is a folk hero - though he was a bushranger, and a lot of people think that we should have Waltzing Matilda as our National Anthem. As you probably know, Waltzing Matilda is about a swagman who stole a sheep to eat - though probably through necessity, poor man.....

......and, irrespective of my second paragraph, I do like animals - even though I eat some of them!!!!!
Eric and Turtle like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 19:37   #65
Beacon of light

I don't like Kangaroo meat at all.
We went to Kings Canyon and had an overnight stay......the restaurant at the resort had a buffet meal on. My husband got a bit of Kangaroo meat and put it on my plate....it had only been shown a flame(and I think it might have been one of those birthday cake candle
flames)...a good vet and an electric probe could have got the beast active again.
Croc......better thaan the 'roo, but not much....couldn't stomach the Emu.
But as Eric will attest to, I'm not good with foreign grub.
Eric likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 17:40   #66
God Member

We're having a heat wave ... up to 2c on the plus side Time to hook up the AC.

But seriously folks, Sunday is the BIG day ... and I'm not talking Super Bowl ... It's Groundhog Day ... and we are all sitting with our fingers crossed hoping that they don't see their shadows. So, let's hear it for Wiarton Willie, Punxsutawney Phil, Shubenacadie Sam, Brandon Bob, Balzac Billy, Staten Island Chuck, etc.
Turtle likes this.
Old 31-01-2014, 17:48   #67
Beacon of light

I have never understood the Groundhog day thing Eric...and I know you have explained it to me before....but I must have deleted it from the hard drive of my brain.
Eric likes this.
Old 31-01-2014, 18:34   #68

Red face Re: That's HOT

Personally I think it's a sign of desperation! We Canucks (ok, ex-pat Brit Canucks) are in dire need of some hope that Spring will arrive - and SOON!
(Sorry for the shouting)
Eric likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:03   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Personally I think it's a sign of desperation! We Canucks (ok, ex-pat Brit Canucks) are in dire need of some hope that Spring will arrive - and SOON!
(Sorry for the shouting)
Amen.
Old 01-02-2014, 16:04   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have never understood the Groundhog day thing Eric...and I know you have explained it to me before....but I must have deleted it from the hard drive of my brain.
Try this one:

Groundhog Day quiz - CBCNews.ca
Old 01-02-2014, 16:35   #71
Beacon of light

Abysmal....3 out of 10.
Old 01-02-2014, 17:25   #72

I didn't do much better: 5 out of ten. I learned a lot though!
Old 01-02-2014, 18:12   #73
Senior Member+

A dismal 3 outta 10

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 18:39   #74
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

4 outa 10
Old 01-02-2014, 19:51   #75

Confession: I guessed at most of the answers

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..