Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 21:35   #46
Always EVIL within us

Re: "The Art of Graffitti Writing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
"Fighting a losing battle" - at least I'm fighting for something and putting my name to it instead of taking cheap little anonymous potshots.....
I assume that you are referring to the person who took away one of your Karma points? Who ever it was, it is their perogative.....but other than this thread, you usually make a good imput so I am sure that you will soon make it up

As for this particular thread, Ifty summed it up in just three words "Graffiti makes slums!"

Well done Ifty!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-10-2004, 22:21   #47

All I have said different to any else is that some who do it have talent. Its not the points thats I care about - its the reasoning behind it that annoys me...that and the anonymity of the sniping - it doesn't make much sense to me! Oh well.....nevermind! Moving on!
Old 05-10-2004, 22:44   #48
Always EVIL within us

Sorry Cejache,

At the start of the thread, you agreed with the council that it was a good idea to encourage kids to be trained in the "art" of graffiti!

That is your choice and full marks to you for saying it! Unfortunately, it seems as if most, if not all members of this site cannot see your point of view In an ideal world, youngsters would be "trained" to create art as a career and go on to benefit all, but we all know that if you show an 18 year old how to push the button on a spraycan, the world (or wall) is his oyster!

Great pieces of art can come from a can, you only have to look at the spectacular trucks that go up the M6,.........but if you label the course "graffiti" you are going to attract the wrong type of teenager and they will decorate anything they can in the name of Art!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:35   #49
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Its not the points thats I care about - its the reasoning behind it that annoys me...that and the anonymity of the sniping - it doesn't make much sense to me! Oh well.....nevermind! Moving on!
That's the nature of the Karma system. I lost points for appreciating the fact that we've still got free parking in Accy! (At the time nobody else could come up with anything they could praise the council for but somebody felt the need to deduct karma from me.) I still think it's a great asset to have free parking in the town and it does encourage people to visit. So there you are. I stand by my guns on that one. It would be even better if we had something worth visiting for when they've parked, lol. (No, not a graffiti mural please!)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 16:20   #50

To be trained to be responsible with it of course - I doubt whether irresponsible, loutish sorts would even consider attending a course like this. Its a nice attempt by HBC to tackle a problem...even if it is a little misguided.

The whole karma thing sucks to be honest - both you and I (and others) have lost karma for nothing - wouldn't it be better for people just to post and say when they have a problem with what has been said? I know I would appreciate that more! :-)
Old 06-10-2004, 16:30   #51
God Member

CJ, the only reason you've occaisionally lost Karma is for being a knucklehead. How anyone can defend the right of people to go round paint spraying other peoples property while at the same time moan about your wing mirror being knocked out of kilter, is beyond me.

I'll tell you what: next time I'm back in Accy I'll come round and fix your mirror, providing of course , I can slap a bit of paint on your car bonnet. Deal?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 16:38   #52
Resident Waffler

The only grievance I have with karma is the limitations placed on it. For instance if I like something you said and want to give you karma but haven't given any to enough other people since I last gave it to you I won't be allowed to - and I am limited to how much karma I can give out in 24 hours so if a few people impress me I only get to give karma to the first one(s). By the time I'm able to give some more I've gone and forgotten who what and where.

Old 06-10-2004, 16:40   #53
Resident Waffler

ooh lol that looks big!

Old 06-10-2004, 16:43   #54
God Member

You're not going to get much Karma with that font and type, Willow...it hurts my eyes. It's worse than graffitti....
Old 06-10-2004, 16:47   #55

The fact is I have never defended anyones right to spraypaint anothers property. How many times have I said that I agree that graffiti is an unsightly problem? I have posted in plain English so I cant understand why an obviously intelligent man such as yourself has failed to understand what I have said.

However...your candour is appreciated all the same. Car mirror fixed but thanks for the offer anyway.
Old 06-10-2004, 16:56   #56
God Member

Quote:
I take on board and understand all the previous points against yet there are a couple of things that I would like to add -

1. Graffiti when done properly ie. not just a tag, is in my view an art. I am against idiotic scrawlings of the form "I was 'ere Y2K+4" and all that but I have seen great pieces too.

2. It is a fact that graffiti has helped previously anti-social delinquents to acheive something in their lives.

3. I would have thought and 100% believe that whoever is delivering the course would stress that it is not acceptable to daub any old walls - an analogy would be a Karate master emphasising that the martial arts are not to be learnt just for kicking someones head in because you can but to be able to defend oneself and to gain some kind of karma/zen within.

Responsible and creative Graffiti is fine and I would rather have youngsters chanelling their energy into something creative rather than destructive, although I do appreciate peoples worries.
What do you mean, you've never defended those who manufacture graffitti? Whats all this garbage (above, post #13,)about then?
Old 06-10-2004, 17:50   #57
Resident Waffler

This brings to mind a Reeves & Mortimer catchphrase:

...........he wouldn't let it lie!

Old 06-10-2004, 22:27   #58

For the love of God.......! I have made my point numerous times in different fashions for those who find it hard to understand, I would have thought that anyone can see that I do not condone vandalous graffiti as I have stated it on two/three occasions. Here it is again for the last time -

1. I do not condone graffiti on other peoples property be it personal or public.

2. Some of the graffiti I have seen though has been quite artistic and the people who have spent time on it obviously have a talent. Unfortunately these examples have in the most part been illustrated on other peoples property.

3. I have no problem with graffiti being done in set-aside areas - if the anti-social aspect of this phenomena can be confined then that is to the benefit of everyone.

4. If through this course the people who indulge in such activities can learn that it is not acceptable to graffiti gratuitously then great.

What I will not let lie is people deliberately misinterpreting what I have said and accusing me of saying things that I obviously have not. If people diagree with the above points then fine..no worries..but dont call me a 'knucklehead' for saying the opposite from what I have been accused of!
Old 06-10-2004, 22:36   #59
Resident Waffler

Hey Ceejache have you noticed how many Karma points you've got now?

Old 06-10-2004, 23:30   #60
Always EVIL within us

Ceejache, I take on board points 1,2 and 3 that you made but my problem is that as I said earlier, if a course has the word "graffiti" in it, the wrong type of youngster will be attracted to it.....and the council are too stupid and PC motivated to say NO to them!

Regards no. 4, With the street attitude today, I just cannot believe that the "students" are suddenly going to be upright citizens on completion of this course. They will learn what they want to learn...and reject any teachings that will lower their street cred!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..