Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2010, 17:29   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: the BIG three tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Brown looked like the host of a chimps tea-party having to fight for his share of the bananas. Clegg came across as a smug little schoolboy content to snigger as the bigger boys exchanged candy-floss blows, whilst Cameron totally failed to connect with anyone with his apologetic, self-congratulating diatribe.

Where are the statesmen that we need to lead us out of the bloody mess that membership of Europe has gotten us into?
Me n Less n Taggy will do it stumped.
Old 16-04-2010, 17:33   #62

do you mean this party-
martin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 17:34   #63
Full Member+

You've got my vote, guys.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 17:36   #64
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
do you mean this party-
You got it.
Old 16-04-2010, 17:41   #65

now we're getting somewhere!
Old 16-04-2010, 17:51   #66
Senior Member+

Controversially I thought they were all poor considering they should be statesman of world standing. Maybe it was stage fright, the first time and all that...

If you were judging them on the night Clegg played the best 'game' but lacked substance. In a poor debate, he positioned himself as the 'real leader' of the opposition.

Cameron collapsed, lacking substance and presence and as I said previously he is the weakest prime minister in waiting in living memory and showed it. Keep repeating words, "exceptionally, exceptionally" is insecurity, a double reinforcer rather than the conviction of saying it once. I've said this before about Cameron's lexicon. He has policy vacuum bigger than a black hole.

Cut the deficit by getting rid of a £72,000 Police Car? Iran a nuclear state? and the 'threat of China' is straight of the Phil the Greeks' playbook!

Gordon was Gordon. Hardly up there with the great himself. Poor communicator. Like a Campbell prepped robot. Even the jokes whilst funny and well balanced, weren't Gordon's?

Round Two is shark infested waters. Cameron needs 20 seats off Clegg or it's Cameron without a majority. Clegg needs to keep his 60 seats he has. Cameron can't concentrate on Labour whilst Clegg has free pot shots. Worse for Cameron, Clegg's economic policy is near enough to Labour's to risk being blasted blind side again, but this time on the big question.

IN General Britain does not have the grand statesmen it once had. It has career politicians. I did not like all the 'Joe the Plumber' stuff either.

Last edited by g jones; 16-04-2010 at 18:00.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:16   #67
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
Controversially I thought they were all poor considering they should be statesman of world standing. Maybe it was stage fright, the first time and all that...

If you were judging them on the night Clegg played the best 'game' but lacked substance. In a poor debate, he positioned himself as the 'real leader' of the opposition.

Cameron collapsed, lacking substance and presence and as I said previously he is the weakest prime minister in waiting in living memory and showed it. Keep repeating words, "exceptionally, exceptionally" is insecurity, a double reinforcer rather than the conviction of saying it once. I've said this before about Cameron's lexicon. He has policy vacuum bigger than a black hole.

Cut the deficit by getting rid of a £72,000 Police Car? Iran a nuclear state? and the 'threat of China' is straight of the Phil the Greeks' playbook!

Gordon was Gordon. Hardly up there with the great himself. Poor communicator. Like a Campbell prepped robot. Even the jokes whilst funny and well balanced, weren't Gordon's?

Round Two is shark infested waters. Cameron needs 20 seats off Clegg or it's Cameron without a majority. Clegg needs to keep his 60 seats he has. Cameron can't concentrate on Labour whilst Clegg has free pot shots. Worse for Cameron, Clegg's economic policy is near enough to Labour's to risk being blasted blind side again, but this time on the big question.

IN General Britain does not have the grand statesmen it once had. It has career politicians. I did not like all the 'Joe the Plumber' stuff either.
It's all very worrying, not perhaps for someone at my time of life, but for the thousands of disenfranchised people, youngsters in particular, brought about by the flippant Labour policies that have been inflicted upon the population at large. I don't see any prospect of a national 'leader' emerging from the bunch of no hopers that the major parties have put forward.

Vote? Me? No chance.

Last edited by Stumped; 16-04-2010 at 18:20.
Old 16-04-2010, 18:17   #68

well Mr jones
it might be poignant moment to recall Socrates ditti : ' when the debates over , slander becomes the tool of the loser' - or has it already begun?? - it's amazing that this sort of stuff was going on two and a half thousand years ago and the politicians think we don't know this???
Old 16-04-2010, 18:23   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Me n Less n Taggy will do it stumped.

LOL!...Yip my hats in the ring Cashy!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:34   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer View Post
Only six million viewers tuned in when the gloomiest prediction was twelve million. Cameron was poor, Clegg was in dreamland and Brown was pretty much as expected....dour. Thing is , what was everybody else watching cos there was naff all else on ?
Of course there was lots to see, Ottawa Senators beating the Pittsburgh Penguins in overtime in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs If you guys think that these three are poor specimens, think of how much worse it could be. After all, our neighbours to the south elected GW twice ... even a certified moron can be voted in to lead a great nation.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 18:41   #71

I suppose this thread should be serious considering the outcome of which will affect us all - so let's take a leaf from tony's best mate to bring us down to earth --
Old 16-04-2010, 18:59   #72
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

Your right Graham...Career Politicians, that by and large will always put their and their party's interests before that of the public! They will talk bullcrap...offer platitudes...take easy cheap shots....and in many cases tell out and out lies, and the arrogance of them means that even now, after the expenses scandal, they really havn't twigged that we have their measure now! They think a few well chosen "sound bytes" will score points, and hoodwink the public! What was supposed to be a momentus moment for British Politics, was a ruddy great damp squib, and we did not hear or learn anything from that, that we didn't already know. It should have been done more on the lines of a question time...with proper intereation and interrogation from the audience, to have any chance of getting under their skins, and putting them under the type of pressure that would test their mettle a bit more!

Unfortunately though there is now so much wrong with British Politics, only a truelly great slap in the face will change things. I'm a traditional Labour voter, and i make no bones in saying that i think you would make a very good MP for Hyndburn because i know you do put the interests of local people uppermost, however whilst under normal circumstances, you would be pretty much guaranteed my vote, i'm afraid there is a very real chance that you might have to suffer because of the conduct of the current bunch of spivs.

The only way they will ever ever get the message is by protest vote or by not voting at all....something years ago i would never countenence, but i think in these times many MP's have shown themselves worthy of that level of contempt!...Maybe a no vote...is the strongest message of all! I'm still undecided, but not voting is my most likely action at the moment!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 19:04   #73
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin01 View Post
well Mr jones
it might be poignant moment to recall Socrates ditti : ' when the debates over , slander becomes the tool of the loser' - or has it already begun?? - it's amazing that this sort of stuff was going on two and a half thousand years ago and the politicians think we don't know this???
And these guys pretend to be educated. Whatever happened to good old common sense?
Old 16-04-2010, 20:41   #74

I thought Nick Glegg was brilliant many i talked to today at work have even changed their vote after listening to the debate, however i now believe either the Conservatives will win or it will be a hung parliament.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2010, 21:06   #75
God Member

I thought it was interesting and it has made me think a bit. I know there were times when it lacked substance and there were times when it was the old soundbites and cliches, but there were times when real opinions and views came through.

I thought Gordon Brown had the most to lose going into the debate and he certainly lost. And I lost count of the number of times he tried to align himself with the LibDems 'I agree with Nick...' was his catchphrase. Although I did enjoy the 'you can airbrush your photos but you can't airbrush your policies' line. He just isn't a public speaker and he looked really uncomfortable. He also was the first to start losing his temper and so he came over a bit flustered.

David Cameron also had a lot to lose and he too lost big time. He looked nervous and ill at ease for most of the time. His catchphrase was 'what Gordon Brown isn't telling you....' which made him look childish. I also didn't like his use of the - best mates of some of the people he's met - act. Oh, and he made me laugh at times when he came over a bit 'Tim, nice but Dim' with his 'really, really, nice man' bit.

I thought both Cameron and Brown had taken too much advice from their spin doctors and advisors. They had both obviously been told to get certain points across, so instead of just saying things once, they kept repeating them over and over again, which actually diluted what they were saying because it didn't look real.

Nick Clegg clearly won but as has been pointed out, he had nothing to lose in the first place. He looked the most relaxed, he spoke directly to the people who asked him the questions, he didn't look too rehearsed. Got a bit too obsessed with the Trident issue, but over all put in a really good performance.

Of course, part of that was because Cameron and Brown were too busy attacking each other. They've now got a really difficult line to take - do they attack Nick Clegg in the next debate or try to align themselves with him even more - after all, he could be very influential if there is a hung parliament.

I'm looking forward to round 2.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..