Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2014, 05:06   #1
God Member

"The computer says 'NO' "

Computers fail sometimes because they are not programmed to have discretion/discernment.
We are familiar with that comedy sketch- " the computer says No"

Call back when you're unconscious: What 999 call handler told gallstones patient as he pleaded for an ambulance - before dying after his carer found him in agony | Daily Mail Online
"Call handler Miss Nicholls said the questions she was told to ask Mr Hemmings by a computerised algorithm system ruled he did not need an emergency ambulance."

This week I needed to spend time on two long phone calls to Inland Revenue because I had received a tax coding which would double the amount of tax I pay on my works pension next April.
It transpired that the tax code had been issued by a computer and by having a real person look at my record it was clearly wrong. These computer programmes have been devised to replace people, so saving money.
We should resist the 'dehumanisation' of decisions which affect the welfare of people.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2014, 09:07   #2

Re: "The computer says 'NO' "

If HMRC employed enough people to calculate or check every tax code issued, your tax would double anyway because computers are cheaper than people: the salaries would have to come from somewhere. Many organisations rely on the "victim" to point out that they're out-of-pocket to keep the human interaction affordable.

I'm not saying it's right, just that's how it is. Cost will always win out over jobs. I have an acquaintance who gets upset at how few local book shops there are these days, and yet in the next breath tells me how much he saves by buying from Amazon...

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..